No announcement yet.

engine swap

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine swap

i want to put a 4.6 in my 1958. what would I have to do to mount it?
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Wow. Great engine, but everything is custom work. What trans will you use? Do you have an EEC and all the cables? What about speedometer conversion?

Throttle control, trans linkage, driveshaft construction, and exhaust (w/oxygen sensors) will be custom as well.

I admit, this is a great setup if done properly. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• DKheld
      Super-Experienced
      • Aug 27 2008

I've see a few resto mods on ebay..... they are nice. One had a newer Tbird motor/ transmission one with a 5.0.

Like Dave mentions though - LOTS of custom work. Adding to his list... the 4.6 would be a FI motor so you would need to replace the fuel tank and lines to handle FI which means most likely a generator to alternator upgrade for a more constant voltage to the pump and computer.

That 4.6 would be about a ton lighter than the 430 and maybe 1/2 ton lighter than the 352 so you would probably need new front springs with a different spring rate to get a good ride unless there was room to stick the 4.6 way out over the front cross member. Ooops - there's something else - probably need to modify the 4.6 oil pan to fit over all the steering arms and cross member.

After getting all the go stuff done you would probably want to install a front disc brake conversion so it would stop more like a modern car.

Hope you go for it - let us know how it works out and post some pics of the progress - it's cool that we can visit other folks garages these days without even leaving our chair.

Eric

Comment

• Joe Johnston
        Super-Experienced
        • Dec 23 2008

I've been involved in a couple of projects like this of my own and helping buddies. My opinion is the whole project goes easier and faster if a complete wrecked donor vehicle with good drivetrain can be purchased. Easier to fab the motor mounts, wiring, linkages, exhaust and fuel system with donor parts in the bay next to the Thunderbird. Sell everything leftover to the recycler. Gettin' too old to tackle anything like that anymore, good luck with your project!

Comment

• cdhowell
          Apprentice
          • Jun 15 2011

Also need to upgrade guages. oil, temp, etc... A fuel return line can easily be plumbed back into the filler neck. No need for a new tank.

Comment

i do have a doner 95 crown vic! i'm excited about the project. Since I havn't seen much on this kind of attempt, I will keep everyone informed and also if there are any suggestions I am open to comments. To all the loyalest out there, I know a 390 or 352 would be easier to do, but I want some modern drivability as well as functionality. I have had this one since I was 16(now 53). Would like to spread some new love on her!

Comment

• Dakota Boy
              Super-Experienced
              • Jun 30 2009

you've had the car for 37 years?!!!?!??

that's amazing

I've had mine for just over 2 years. And I'm gonna be 43 in a month.
              http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

yep! I redid it once already! and then a long stint of sitting behind the barn.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎