Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tmac60
    • Aug 22 2009

My First

I had a 62 Impala Super Sport with a mighty 6 cylinder and automatic transmission. I paid a whole $11.00 for the car. It had a carb fire and needed work. But the body was in decent shape, Was is the key word! ! week before I turned sixteen, I hit a telephone pole. My punishment was to rebuild it over the next year with my dad's supervision. Ah good times!

Comment

• Yellowbird
      Experienced

• Jun 18 2009

My first car was 1956 Chevy Bel Air 2 door hardtop.
      Options:
      Air conditioning
      Wonderbar radio
      265 Powerpack
      Powerglide transmission

Color was solid turquoise. Bought it for $ 400.00 in January 1969. Started getting water in the oil, thought I had a cracked block ( I was 17 and not smart on these things) and sold it to my boss for $ 75.00. Turned out it was a blown head gasket. My friends have never let me live that down.
      I'm still hoping that someday I can purchase another '56 like it. I really, really miss that car. When I find it, it will look good next to my '58 Thunderbird.
      Thanks
      Leonard
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Yellowbird
        My first car was 1956 Chevy Bel Air 2 door hardtop.
        Options:
        Air conditioning
        Wonderbar radio
        265 Powerpack
        Powerglide transmission

Color was solid turquoise. Bought it for $ 400.00 in January 1969. Started getting water in the oil, thought I had a cracked block ( I was 17 and not smart on these things) and sold it to my boss for $ 75.00. Turned out it was a blown head gasket. My friends have never let me live that down.
        I'm still hoping that someday I can purchase another '56 like it. I really, really miss that car. When I find it, it will look good next to my '58 Thunderbird.
        Thanks
        Leonard
        OUCH! Yup, hard to live that one down.
        My worst car mistake was (this was my second car so I spoze i'm drifting off a little) I had a 64 Galaxie convertable with a 390 and factory 4sp with reverse lock out. Bought it for 200 bucks back in about '72. One day on my way into Portland on the freeway it threw a rod and popped a hole in the side of the block. ****ed me off so bad I pulled the tranny and sold it for 35 bucks, towed the car to the scrapper and got a few bucks out of it. It wasnt long before I started kicking myself in the butt.... What was I thinking?!?!?!
        I was also 17 years old.
        Last edited by Guest; September 3, 2009, 11:21 PM.

Comment

• bird 60
          Super-Experienced
          • Mar 18 2009

Memories, Sweet Memories

Yes those were the days.
          My first Yank Tank was a '56 Ford Customline back in '65.
          I was 19 at the time & paid $ 200 for it. Our Family car prior to the Ford was an English Car a (Vanguard Spacemaster.)

Chris....From the Land of OZ.

Comment

My first car was a '66 Mustang, 6 cyl., 3 speed, turquois color -can't remember how much I paid for it. My second car was a '69 Mustang, 6 cyl, auto., dark green. I wish that I still had that one.....

FWIW - I really liked the 58-60 T-Birds when they were in vogue, but forgot about them over the years. When I bought the one I have now it brings back a lot of memories of that time period (early 60's).

Comment

Mine was a 1978 Fiat spider, the body was mint, I had it in the shop for 3 months out of the 4 months Iowed it. Once i shifted from 2nd to 3rd and the shifter came out of the tranny and sat there inmy hand. I ran every red light and stop sign I could just to get home to fix it.

Comment

• 619Square
                Apprentice
                • Aug 20 2009

Originally posted by 49effie
                My first car was a '66 Mustang, 6 cyl., 3 speed, turquois color -can't remember how much I paid for it. My second car was a '69 Mustang, 6 cyl, auto., dark green. I wish that I still had that one.....

FWIW - I really liked the 58-60 T-Birds when they were in vogue, but forgot about them over the years. When I bought the one I have now it brings back a lot of memories of that time period (early 60's).
                Mine was a 6 as well... although I modified the heck out of it for more power... shoulda bought a V8! haha
                --------------------------------
                1960 Thunderbird
                Been in my family since 1961
                Portland, OR

Comment

• LuckyJay
                  • Jan 4 2007

Bought my first in 66. It was a 50 Ford 2 Door Sedan with the flathead V8. Woohoo! dual water pumps. Was working at a 24 hour Conoco station and having the time of my life. Paid $125 for the car. Gas was .31/gal. Small local pizza delivered to the station on Sunday night was $1.40. Wrecked the car in less than 6 months.

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                    Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Jay wow the old Ford " flat head V8 " now that was an engine and now is in much demand by the hot rodders.From 32 to 53, it virtually changed the " power status " of Ford in it's engine and put them on the map.
                    Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                    Thunderbird Registry
                    58HT #33317
                    60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Penelope
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Mar 4 2008

My first car was a 1961 Falcon station wagon. I paid $120 for it back in 1973 (I was 15 at the time). It was two-tone green and white with a 170 inch pursuit motor that ran too hot until I took the thermostat out, then it ran too cold. I couldnt drive it until I was 16, the legal age in South Oz back then.

Had a mattress in the back and curtains all the way round. Explained to my mum that it was for camping....
                      sigpicBill
                      Thunderbird Registry 21903 & 33405

Comment

• Dutchbird
                        Experienced

• Dec 20 2005

My first car was a 1976 Opel Ascona, built in Germany.
                        Opel started as a German company in Europe that later became the second acquisition by GM in Europe.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Dutchbird; November 2, 2009, 02:37 PM. Reason: adding

Comment

• Anders
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Jan 19 2008

My first was, yes a FORD.....
                          1969 Capri.
                          Just like this one, but white with black hood. And the mirrors just like this. It was not realy a good car, but it was MINE!
                          My 2:nd was a Opel Kadett ´79. Last of the rear wheel drive. Opel at the time for Dutchbirds Ascona and my Kadett had fantastic handling and was very succesfull in Rallies.
                          Last edited by Anders; November 2, 2009, 03:52 PM.
                          sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
                          http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• Dutchbird
                            Experienced

• Dec 20 2005

Originally posted by Anders Myrberg
                            Last of the rear wheel drive. Opel at the time for Dutchbirds Ascona and my Kadett had fantastic handling and was very succesfull in Rallies.
                            I totally agree on this, it was a great car!
                            (and lots of fun with that rear wheel drive, doing donuts on the dirt while thinking you could drive as a real rally-champion. Just owning your license for a couple of weeks/months)

Comment

• saverio
                              Experienced
                              • Mar 14 2005

First Car

In 1960 I got my drivers license and convinced my dad to buy a 1960 Ford sunliner convertible. Then I convinced him to let me borrow it all the time. Then he convinced me to pay for it.
                              Many great memories, but they are fading fast,maybe i will have to do them again to freshen my mind.

sal
                              Sal III

60 T BD

Thunderbird Registry # 33126 - VTCI # 11138- CTCI #02521

Comment

• Coral
                                Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Wasn't going to post to this because I can't recall what year the Chevy Impala was...
                                My only brilliant memories of the car was that it was a 350 - 4 door; tri-colored due to resto starting, and I had a front wheel tire blow-out around a corner heading into town, at 70 MPH - over the limit by some - I got lights on me and the cop started bellowing at me "Barbara - what the HECK are you doing?!" - Barbara is my mother and the cop was surprised to view my license, and find it was ME not my mom...LOL

I will update if I find out the year...

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎