X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cubbear
    Experienced
    • Nov 29 2008

tires

am putting new radial tires on my 58 HT using stock wheels should I use P215/75R14 or P225/75R14? Thanks Again
  • tbird430
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 18 2007

Go with the bigger set, TRUST ME.

sigpic
    The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• partsetal
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 4 2005

It wasn't too long ago that the 225's were discontinued. I'm not sure what the situation is now, but if someone finds them, please provide the details.
      Carl

Comment

• Anders
        Super-Experienced
        • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by cubbear
        am putting new radial tires on my 58 HT using stock wheels should I use P215/75R14 or P225/75R14? Thanks Again
        I vent for the Cooker P215/75R14 as they suposed to be "most" period correct without going plyas. I am very happy with them
        sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
        http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• lawyercalif
          Experienced
          • May 12 2011

Not sure about the 14" but the 225/75R15's rubs against the steering knuckle bolts on my 59 parts car when fully turned. That is why I intend to get 215/65R15's when I put the 15" wheels on my car after I install the disc brakes.

Comment

• Howard Prout
            Experienced
            • Feb 11 2009

Just a reminder when buying new tires to check the manufacture date. Most tire manufacturers recommend that tires be replaced within five to seven years of the date of manufacture. For many of us that means replacing them well before they are worn out. The last time I replaced the tires on my car the Firestone store tried to sell me a set of tires that were over a year old. Some tire dealers have been known to sell "new" tires that are beyond the date of recommended disposal.
            sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

• Dan Leavens
              Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

I would agree with Jon go with the bigger set and as Anders stated Coker Tires. A nice set of " wide whites " really pull together the body colour and chrome. I put a set of Coker's on my wife's 58 a couple of years back and she rides like a dream. I can't imagine how they ran 54 years ago on bias ply tires that were worth about $8.00 a piece
              Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
              Thunderbird Registry
              58HT #33317
              60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• dgs
                Super-Experienced
                • Feb 13 2003

Neither is a perfect match for the originals. They were 8.1x27.58 or 8.35x28.10, depending which tire you had. Discount Tire (a great store, BTW) has a tire size calculator on their site here. If you enter 212/85R14 in as the current tire, it's very close to the larger 850-14 originals. You can then compare to the available radials.

You'll find that the 215/75R14 is 0.1"wider but almost 1.5" smaller in diameter. The 225/75R14 is still 0.9" smaller in diameter, but is 0.5" wider.

At any rate, members are running both and report that they work OK. Coker only shows the 215s available, however, so it may be a moot point. Diamond Back doesn't have them either. They do have a 225/70R14, but it's still 0.5" wider but is 1.8" smaller in diameter than stock.
                DGS (aka salguod)
                1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
                www.salguod.net

Comment

• bird 60
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Mar 18 2009

Tires

Hi, I have the Coker 225/75R14's 21/2'' White-Walls.

They look good, handle great & I have a smooth ride.

My only complaint is spending more time keeping them clean.

Chris.....From OZ.

Comment

• Astrowing
                    Experienced
                    • Jul 22 2009

According to the Tires thread in the technical resources area, the 215 is closest to the standard tire, and 225 for the optional larger tire. I was not able to find the 225's in the wide whites and had to order the 215's.

I do know that the tires that are currently on the car are way too old to drive too far or fast. I had a steel-belted radial come apart on my 1972 Cougar and it did a lot of body damage to the left rear as it flogged the body before I could get stopped.
                    sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site

Comment

• Anders
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by Astrowing
                      I had a steel-belted radial come apart on my 1972 Cougar and it did a lot of body damage to the left rear as it flogged the body before I could get stopped.
                      This happend to one of our Squarebirdfriends in the Sacramento area
                      Attached Files
                      sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
                      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎