• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jax
    Apprentice
    • Jun 27 2010

390 C6 install

Hello all!

After sending my COM out to a local rebuilder, we found out that the case was badly cracked. With that bad news, I found a C6 that came off of the 390 I am rebuilding. I have looked through a few of the threads on here, but have not found anything pertaining to the shift lever.

Does anyone have picts of how they modified the shift linkage to work with our columns, or modified aftermarket shift linkages?

I hope to get my motor together and the trans in when I get from Korea.

Thanks!
    TBIRD REGISTRY #19539
    1959 TBird
    1958 F100
  • Dakota Boy
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 30 2009

I have a Hurst V-Matic 2 console shifter that controls the C6 in my car. Only downside is the console has to have a hole cut in it!
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• jax
      Apprentice
      • Jun 27 2010

390 C6 install

I was looking to avoid cutting the console, but when I get the motor and trans back, I'll see what I can fabricate.

If it fails, then I'll have to go cuttin the console.

Any other ideas fellas?

Thanks Dakota!
      TBIRD REGISTRY #19539
      1959 TBird
      1958 F100

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

There shouldn't be any need to use a console shifter if you don't want. '66 Thunderbirds used c6 transmissions with a column shifter. I'm sure it's just a matter of finding the right linkage or modifying what you have. I know the transmission mount needs to be modified.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• newbird59
          Experienced
          • Dec 27 2011

Jax,

I'm throwing a 429 and a C6 into my bird pretty soon. Ive been looking at something like American Shifter Company has....It looks like they make a very cool track system to mount your shifting assembly. This may or may not work depending on how much space is in the tranny tunnel for this setup. Can anyone else chime in on this???

You and Greg are the only other guys I know that are doing this sort of setup with a C6 tranny (Your bellhousing should be a little different from ours).

David
          1960 Thunderbird
          429 TJ
          C6 Tranny
          Under Construction

Comment

• ncbird
            Experienced
            • Jan 5 2008

Lokar

I am with John I would think you should be able to use the existing column. Check out Lokar they show shifter linkage for the Ford automatic.
            Grant
            NCbird on the Coast of NC
            "Dads Bird" for my father

Comment

• Dakota Boy
              Super-Experienced
              • Jun 30 2009

My V-Matic 2 shifter handle is fairly close to the dash when in the Park position; so this is something to be mindful of should you go with a console shifter. It would be really irritating to mount the shifter and then have the dash be in the way....

If you could get the dimensions of that mounting bracket from the company, then maybe you could mock it up and do a "test-fit" before buying the unit.
              http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• big bird
                • Sep 21 2011

My GENNIE brand shifter

I needed a trans for my 58 tbird.Found one on line,rebuilt with new converter, 300 dollars,what a deal.Came with a GENNIE shifter that was bolted at the tail shaft housing and the trany had a vacuum modulator.Great, no down shift linkage.Hears the good part,it comes up through the spraker grill opening.No cutting the console.Now you still have to cut the trans tunnel and modify the shift rod also the shift lever in the trany needs to be turned to the upright posistion as in newbird59 thread.Mine was allready set up so i just rolled with it.Works good and looks good with mustang T handle and shift boot, looks stock.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎