X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bird 60
    Super-Experienced
    • Mar 18 2009

Speedo

Hi Guys, I went for a drive out in the countryside & my speedo needle started bouncing. Also, it was about to change from 32k to 33k but it stuck in-between. Even though the speedo is erratic, it still works. Could they both go at the same time or is it co-incidental?

Chris.....From OZ.
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The speedometer cable controls both the speed and the odometer. It may just need to be lubed or it could be that the end of the cable is worn either at the speedometer or at the transmission. It could also be the gear in the transmission. I would think both problems are related.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• bird 60
      Super-Experienced
      • Mar 18 2009

Speedo

Thanks for the quick response John. I thought of the same things that you pointed out, but what kinda got me a little unsure of was that the odometer isn't moving at all, but the speedo does.

Chris.

Comment

• Yadkin
        Banned
        • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by bird 60
        Hi Guys, I went for a drive out in the countryside & my speedo needle started bouncing. Also, it was about to change from 32k to 33k but it stuck in-between. Even though the speedo is erratic, it still works. Could they both go at the same time or is it co-incidental?

Chris.....From OZ.
        This happened to me and it wasn't the cable. The odometer is stuck- the clue here being the major change in digits. What is happening is that the flexible cable can't turn smoothly so it "winds up" before it skips a tooth in the nylon gear set at the odometer. Then it snaps forward and causes the speedo to bounce.

Disconnect the cable before you strip and ruin the gear.

Then take the odometer off and clean it. I used a gentle dish detergent with warm water. Don't take it apart. The plastic drums are separated by metal disks. Get between them with dental floss-brush. Take your time and get all the way around all 10 spacers. Rinse thoroughly and dry quickly with a lint free paper towel followed by compressed air.

Then immediately lubricate sparingly with a lubricant made specifically for plastic and metal gear assemblies. I have some stuff I use for office printers that worked perfectly.

Do not use any kind of solvent on the assembly because you'll ruin the numbers.

Then run the odometer forward and back through the major digit changes to verify that it is unstuck and operates smoothly.

Comment

• Yadkin
          Banned
          • Aug 11 2012

I used these brushes: https://www.amazon.com/GUM-632-Gum-S...s%2Bbrush&th=1

Similar oil to what I have: https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-MS1050...ic+metal+gears

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎