Headers

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headers

So,
    Who's running what headers, and do you like them, I am looking to upgrede the cast stockers and was wodering who has had luck or problems with any particular type.. ie.. hitting the steering box...etc

thanks
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Headers

Sevral people have used the headers from http://www.fordpowertrain.com/Headers.htm for their 1958-60 Thunderbirds. Reportedly they fit well, but you need to raise the engine a little to get them in.

They make headers for your year Thunderbird. I do not think anyone enlse makes them for these cars.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

I was talking to a rep from fenton headers who was telling me after they came out with the split "headers" for the chevy 235 to make it dual exhaust they got a lot of requests for custom applications. I brought up my 63 bird and he said they may be able to fabricate something with stock spacing for the engine bay but with the performance upgrades. Mainly fenton does stuff for kustoms and hotrods because usually dominant engines are used i.e. 350s, 235s, 390, 401s, 454s, etc so there is a demand for these type of things. do you have the dimentions for what you want to do with the headers?

Comment

Dimensions? I planned on putting them on my 63. Thanks for the info I wasn't sure if fordpowertrain was the only manufacturer for a 61-63 bolt on with out having to take it to sanderson or another mod shop.I ld imagine the 550 or so for the bolt ons would be half if not a third of what a shop would want to fab up a one of set, (even tho they could sell like 5 more pair nation wide!! (maybe) thanks for all the help, this forum remains the only spot to get good info. thanks alexander and all who participate:+

Comment

• Alexander
          Webmaster
          • Oct 30 2002

Thank you for participating on the board. There seem to be far fewer '61-63 'Birds surviving than '58-60 and '64-66.

Alexander
          1959 Hardtop
          1960 Golde Top
          Alexander
          1959 Hard Top
          1960 Golde Top
          sigpic

Comment

I just wish the values would reflect the rarity of these ol hoopties. thanks again. I dont know that I would ever put the headers on since I hate hoisting that boat anchor 390 by myself. Last time I had to stand on the back of my engine hoist to keep it from flipping while trying to skateboard push with one foot to get over the front clip. It got pretty exciting. Had to put it in and pull it out a couple of times due to the poor sealing oil galley plugs. Finally drilled and tapped them with a plug kit from Precision Oil Pumps out of Madera Ca (precisionoilpumps.com). I strongly recomend Doug for any FE issues or questions, he is very helpful.
            Thanks again,
            Endo

Comment

• Texas Landau
              Apprentice
              • Mar 6 2007

Fpa

I have a set of the ceramic coated FPA headers for my 63, but I have yet to put the motor back in. However, the quality of the headers is top notch.

Comment

• Texas Landau
                Apprentice
                • Mar 6 2007

Header update

The FPA headers fit well, however, the guy at FPA advised me I would probably have to put in some 1/4" spacers between the motor mounts and the frame, and he was right.
                I had some made at a local welding shop, measuring 3.5" x 4.5" x 1/4". Instead of having a hole for the motor mount bolt, I had a 1/2" notch cut about 1.5" deep so I could slide them in without removing the motor mount nut. It just seems like trying to hit that hole, holding the spacer in place, balancing the engine/tranny, and running the hoist would be very hard.

The headers now clear the steering box, pitman arm, all suspension and shock towers.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎