X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frango100
    Experienced
    • May 2 2016

Installing accelerator linkage

This weekend i painted the original accelerator rod componentes which i received from Carl and today started to install them. I´m at the point of adjustment now and was wondering what the hard stop in idle is. I adjusted the carburator connecting link with the gauge pin installed, but as soon as i remove the gauge pin, the spring pulls the whole mechanism up a bit, while it goes through the overcenter position. Maybe the carburator connecting link must be bend somewhat, since i have the Edelbrock 1405 carburator? Or should there be a hard stop somewhere?
    sigpicFrank
    1958 T-Bird "Trovão Rosa" - "Rose Thunder"
    Thunderbird registry #61670
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by Frango100
    This weekend i painted the original accelerator rod componentes which i received from Carl and today started to install them. I´m at the point of adjustment now and was wondering what the hard stop in idle is. I adjusted the carburator connecting link with the gauge pin installed, but as soon as i remove the gauge pin, the spring pulls the whole mechanism up a bit, while it goes through the overcenter position. Maybe the carburator connecting link must be bend somewhat, since i have the Edelbrock 1405 carburator? Or should there be a hard stop somewhere?
    I'm not sure how you have it installed. Here's a picture of my installation on an Edelbrock carburetor. I don't know what you mean by a "gauge pin".

John
    Attached Files
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Frango100
      Experienced
      • May 2 2016

The gauge pin is named like this in the manual, its the rigging pin. At the moment I have it a little bit mis-rigged, the carburetor link a bit longer, so that the mechanism doesn´t turn through overcenter and the carburetor idle stop makes the hard stop for the whole mechanism.
      Indeed I have the carburetor link installed like you have
      sigpicFrank

Comment

• sidewalkman
        Super-Experienced
        • Sep 14 2015

I have the stock linkage, when I got the car the transmission slipped, the linkage was way out and the carb didn't open fully.

Trial and error, use the settings in the manual as a starting point only, then its a 1/2 turn here and a 1/2 turn there until it's right.
        Scott
        South Delta, BC, Canada
        1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
        Red Leather Interior!
        www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
        Thunderbird Registry #61266
        http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Frango100
          Experienced
          • May 2 2016

Originally posted by sidewalkman
          I have the stock linkage, when I got the car the transmission slipped, the linkage was way out and the carb didn't open fully.

Trial and error, use the settings in the manual as a starting point only, then its a 1/2 turn here and a 1/2 turn there until it's right.
          Thanks Scott. At least I know that the throttle plates open completely and that the overrun mechanism comes into action as soon as the mechanical stop of the carburetor is reached. (probably not the right name for the mechanism, maybe it even has to do with the kick-down of the transmission. At least the throttle plate movement stops and the transmission link continues to move)
          sigpicFrank

Comment

• DKheld
            Super-Experienced
            • Aug 27 2008

I had to lengthen my accel rod to work with the Holley I bought by straightening out the bends slightly. Mine has vacuum secondaries. Still tweaking the kickdown, float levels, etc months later. Was supposed to be factory set and "only needs slight adjustment" (ha). Carb is waaay undersized even though it is advertised as a 600 cfm. Feels more like 475 cfm.

Eric

Comment

• sidewalkman
              Super-Experienced
              • Sep 14 2015

Originally posted by DKheld
              I had to lengthen my accel rod to work with the Holley I bought by straightening out the bends slightly. Mine has vacuum secondaries. Still tweaking the kickdown, float levels, etc months later. Was supposed to be factory set and "only needs slight adjustment" (ha). Carb is waaay undersized even though it is advertised as a 600 cfm. Feels more like 475 cfm.

Eric
              Hi Eric, if it's the same one as on my car it is 475 CFM and a dog. I was toying with the idea of like most people here getting the Edelbrock, but as I'm also toying with the idea of switching the heads to 428 heads I'm opting for the Holley Street Avenger at 670CFM, I'll let you know.
              Scott
              South Delta, BC, Canada
              1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
              Red Leather Interior!
              www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
              Thunderbird Registry #61266
              http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Frango100
                Experienced
                • May 2 2016

Just finished the installation of the original accelerator linkage and man, what a difference that makes on the accelerator pedal. Before you needed to push very hard to get any movement of the pedal, and then the Bird was launched, now its smooth over the whole travel. Didn´t drive it yet to see how the transmission linkage adjustment is, but will do that soon.
                sigpicFrank

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎