X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buckaroo
    Experienced
    • Jul 24 2013

Trunk questions

I am replacing the trunk upholstery and looking for someone to tell me how many buttons were used on each panel and their placement. The new kit came with 21 buttons which doesn't seem to be enough. My previous panels were attached with sheet metal screws.

Also, I my car came without a jack, but due to a member here I now have one. Where does the jack, jack plate and tire iron mount in the trunk? They did not leave it loose, did they?

Thanks for your help.
    Dena & Dennis Gorder
    1958 Coupe
    Registry # 3422
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

My '59 has 28 buttons. 8 on each back piece and 6 on each side piece. Although it's a convertible I believe the number of buttons is the same on a hardtop. As far as the jack location it changed quite a few times from '58 -60. Mine mounts to the passenger side panel. If you don't have the bracket then yours was just left loose.

John
    Attached Files
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• tbird430
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 18 2007

On hardtops, the jack equipment was left loose.

I have mine snuggled up next to my spare tire though. The square base of the jack is used to hold the spare wheel down. The triangular screw runs through the hole in the center of the base. I'll try and take some pics tonight...

-Jon in TX.
      sigpic
      The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

As Jon mentioned the base holds down the spare tire.

John
        Attached Files
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Buckaroo
          Experienced
          • Jul 24 2013

Thank you. I was hoping I could mount it behind the spare tire. I do not plan on using it but want an original one in the car. I will use a bottle jack to lift up the car if I need to change a tire on the road. Photos of how you mounted yours would be a big help. I can't believe they just left it loose.
          Dena & Dennis Gorder
          1958 Coupe
          Registry # 3422

Comment

• Yadkin
            Banned
            • Aug 11 2012

Don't use a bottle jack. If you have a flat you may have a hard time getting clearance for it. Plus the lifting surface is too small, thus potentially unstable.

Comment

• DKheld
              Super-Experienced
              • Aug 27 2008

My '60 hardtop has 6 buttons on each side panel and 8 buttons on each back panel for a total of 28.

Not sure if it came this way or just how my Dad always did it but the jack in my car was always behind the tire at the top of the spare tire area. The jacking mechanism was moved to the center under the tire. Keeps the jack from rattling. X2 with Jon on the square base in the center of the spare wheel.

Those back tires are almost impossible to get out from under the fender without using the original jack (in a flat tire situation - not in the garage). You just about have to carry a floor jack with you....

Eric

Comment

• Buckaroo
                Experienced
                • Jul 24 2013

Thanks for the info. I will look for a floor jack with case to put n the trunk. I did add air shocks to the rear so I can pump up the shocks to get the tire out. I added the air shocks due to the continental kit I am adding to the car. But I am keeping the spare in the trunk and cutting holes in the tire in the continental kit so I do not have to cut off the bumper.
                Dena & Dennis Gorder
                1958 Coupe
                Registry # 3422

Comment

• tmjsong1aolcom
                  Experienced
                  • Mar 31 2004

Went and looked at my unmolested 58 trunk.
                  I am assuming that they supplied you with tan push buttons.

Facing the trunk from the rear.
                  Left side is held in place with 6 buttons.
                  rear left side is held in place with 7 buttons and just noticed that in the upper out side top is held in place with a chrome screw.
                  rear right side is the same as the left. Screw is still present.

right side is held in place with 5 buttons.

I forgot camera but will take a few pics tommorrow and have Ray post.

Good Luck
                  Fuz
                  58's&64's
                  Sun Prairie, Wi.
                  tmjsong@aol.com

Here are the pix that Fuz sent me. Thanks, Fuz! Dennis, I am gonna forward Fuz's email to you because they are much bigger pix than I was able to post here. You should be able to see the buttons a lot better.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by YellowRose; October 14, 2014, 07:57 PM. Reason: Adding Pix

Comment

• Buckaroo
                    Experienced
                    • Jul 24 2013

Thanks Fuz. I hope we get a chance to meet some day.
                    Dena & Dennis Gorder
                    1958 Coupe
                    Registry # 3422

Comment

• tmjsong1aolcom
                      Experienced
                      • Mar 31 2004

You are more than welcome. Hope to as well as have not attended any events in the last couple years. Work gets in the way.

Fuz
                      58's&64's
                      Sun Prairie, Wi.
                      tmjsong1@aol.com

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍