Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oldcar39
    • Oct 27 2010

Power Brake Booster

I'm a newbie to Tbirds. I'm working on my newly acquired 63 hardtop and from reading the posts, mine has the common problems. Can anyone tell me why there are two lines out of the check valve on the power booster. When i got mine, the brakes were not working. One of the lines (the big one) is run to a vacuum port at the base of the carb. The other one is plugged off. Where does it go? Also, thanks for warm reception.
  • Ian M Greer
    Experienced
    • Jul 29 2010

Vacuum Lines

Originally posted by oldcar39
    I'm a newbie to Tbirds. I'm working on my newly acquired 63 hardtop and from reading the posts, mine has the common problems. Can anyone tell me why there are two lines out of the check valve on the power booster. When i got mine, the brakes were not working. One of the lines (the big one) is run to a vacuum port at the base of the carb. The other one is plugged off. Where does it go? Also, thanks for warm reception.
    The other port off the check-valve should connect to the steel line that goes down to the vacum modulator on the transmission their should be a rubber hose connecting the two together and a short rubber hoise at the other end connecting the steel line to the modulator valve.

Comment

• oldcar39
      • Oct 27 2010

Originally posted by Ian M Greer
      The other port off the check-valve should connect to the steel line that goes down to the vacum modulator on the transmission their should be a rubber hose connecting the two together and a short rubber hoise at the other end connecting the steel line to the modulator valve.
      Thanks very much Ian. I'll check it out. Possibly you could help me with the main problem with the brakes. The brake pedal goes all the way to the floor (although there is just a little braking force). I first thought it might be the power booster, because I see from reading the forum that's a pretty common problem. However, I've always thought even if the booster is bad, you should still have some pedal, and that if apply the brakes, start the car, and the pedal goes to the floor, then the power booster is bad. Is this correct?

Possibly, there's just a leak somewhere and it has air in the system. Am I headed in the right direction?

Thanks again for your help... much appreciated.

Comment

• Ian M Greer
        Experienced
        • Jul 29 2010

Brakes

Originally posted by oldcar39
        Thanks very much Ian. I'll check it out. Possibly you could help me with the main problem with the brakes. The brake pedal goes all the way to the floor (although there is just a little braking force). I first thought it might be the power booster, because I see from reading the forum that's a pretty common problem. However, I've always thought even if the booster is bad, you should still have some pedal, and that if apply the brakes, start the car, and the pedal goes to the floor, then the power booster is bad. Is this correct?

Possibly, there's just a leak somewhere and it has air in the system. Am I headed in the right direction?

Thanks again for your help... much appreciated.
        If without the engine running with you pumping on the brake pedal you should be able to hold a consistant pressure on the pedal without it going down . If at this point the pedal slowly recedes then I would say the problem lies in your other components ( lines,wheel cylinders ,master cylinder or posible air in the lines (bleed lines or possibly all new fluid) . If not then I would definitly lean towards the power booster .The power booster only comes in play with the engine running to increase pressure to the wheel cylinders for more effective braking power. This of co**** is my personal opinion maybe have the booster checked at a rebuild shop first they are not a cheap item to replace . Hope I helped you Ian .

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎