X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lawyercalif
    Experienced
    • May 12 2011

What's Your Opinion on These Tires and Wheels

I have found a Tire and Wheel combination that intrigues me. I love the look, but I am not sure how they would look on my 59 Vert. They are 15 x 7 wheels with a 38mm offset, so they would probably need 1 1/2 inch spacers at least on the front. Tires are 215/70R15 they should work fine.

My questions are, is a 1 1/2 spacer safe on the front, would I also need the spacer on the rear?

Also, just give me an honest opinion of how you think these would look on a 59 Convertible. I look forward to your opinions.
    Attached Files
  • Dan Leavens
    Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Daniel the tire / rim comboniation looks good. The beauty of owning a classic is that you put your personality into them and these would certainly pop..
    Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
    Thunderbird Registry
    58HT #33317
    60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Anders
      Super-Experienced
      • Jan 19 2008

If they fit your car or not is up to you as a owner. Only your opinion is relevant as I see it. They are not my favorites at all, as I think "that classy look" got lost as soon as the steelwheels with hubcaps are gone. But there are some Alu wheels like 5 spoke Cragar style that does look good without giving away too much of the flair from the past. Billet style like this require quite a dramatic bodywork to go with it if you ask me.
      sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• dgs
        Super-Experienced
        • Feb 13 2003

Personally, I think it's too modern of a style for the classic Squarebirds, but if you like them, it's your car. There are a lot of classic billet style wheels like the Boyd's I went with that really work with the classic lines. Check out Foose, Boyd Coddington, American Racing and others like it.

As far as the spacers, I would think you'd want to run them front and back if you had wheels that needed them. That way they'd look the same, otherwise your rear wheels would be 1 1/2" farther inboard. Also, there is more room back there, but maybe not that much.
        DGS (aka salguod)
        1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
        www.salguod.net

Comment

• lawyercalif
          Experienced
          • May 12 2011

Originally posted by dgs
          Personally, I think it's too modern of a style for the classic Squarebirds, but if you like them, it's your car. There are a lot of classic billet style wheels like the Boyd's I went with that really work with the classic lines. Check out Foose, Boyd Coddington, American Racing and others like it.
          I already bought four wheels like the one shown below with the Ford hubcap. My next question is do you think the tire in the other picture would go with these, and if so, which set of wheels do you like best.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by lawyercalif; April 15, 2012, 04:53 PM.

Comment

• Dakota Boy
            Super-Experienced
            • Jun 30 2009

To me, they look too modern for a late '50's car
            Last edited by Dakota Boy; April 16, 2012, 06:53 AM.
            http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• Jimz Bird
              Experienced
              • Feb 3 2011

FWIW

I like the "wires" with the hubcap. Tires a tossup. Maybe medium width whitewalls to show off the wheels.
              Jim
              Jimz Greenie with a White Hat and Brown Guts (ZE-XG)
              sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site

Comment

• dgs
                Super-Experienced
                • Feb 13 2003

I like the wheels on the left best of the two, but I'm not sure I could stop thinking 'Crown Vic' every time I saw them.

The white & yellow stripe tires (Vogues?) are OK but I think a nice white wall would be better personally.

I think I've seen someone with those lace wheels on a Squarebird someplace.
                DGS (aka salguod)
                www.salguod.net

Comment

• Restifier52
                  Experienced
                  • Jul 26 2011

I think the tires with the Ford wheels would work. Perhaps you have the capability to impose an image of the wheels and tires onto an image of your car. Then you would have as good an idea as possible how it looks short of actually putting them on. I must agree however that what we think does or doesn't look good is worth its weight in helium.
                  1960 HT
                  Thunderbird Registry #35780

Comment

• dgs
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Feb 13 2003

Originally posted by dgs
                    I think I've seen someone with those lace wheels on a Squarebird someplace.
                    I think I figured that out. I may have been remembering NYsquarebird58's first 'bird:

Similar, but not the same. Different 'lace' pattern and more significantly, exposed lugs vs. covered. Still, will give you an idea how they'll look.
                    DGS (aka salguod)
                    www.salguod.net

Comment

• cdhowell
                      Apprentice
                      • Jun 15 2011

Personally I would be more concerned about the load rating of the tire. A lot of smaller P metrics were designed for light cars like a Cavalier or Civic. As far as safety in running spacers. I run 1 1/2" spacer on my rock crawler with 38" tires and never had a problem. Rims are a personal choice, run the ones that are most appealing to you.

Comment

• lawyercalif
                        Experienced
                        • May 12 2011

Thanks for your input. I will probably go with the crown Vic wheels I already have and Coker 2 1/2 white walls in 215/75R15.

Comment

• SBHollingsworth
                          • Apr 9 2012

Sweet! I'm in the process of restoring my 1960, I'm not to the tires just yet but these look great

Comment

• klattu
                            • Aug 18 2011

Strip and polish those Crown Vics... now that would stand out.
                            I like the others too, different enough, and have angles like the body.
                            1959 Thunderbird HT

Comment

• lawyercalif
                              Experienced
                              • May 12 2011

Originally posted by klattu
                              Strip and polish those Crown Vics... now that would stand out.
                              I like the others too, different enough, and have angles like the body.
                              I followed your advice but took it a step further and had them chromed. I am really pleased with the way they look now. Almost like a wire wheel at 1/3 the cost and easier to maintain. They will be getting 215/75R15 Coker 2 1/2" Whitewalls within the next few weeks.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎