X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stu454bb
    Apprentice
    • Jan 27 2011

Swift Sure Power brakes

Hi guys, just a quick question. What is Swift Sure brakes and how do you know if your car had them? My 59 has an under dash booster. So i would think that means power brakes, but what was Swift Sure?
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Swift Sure was a name Ford Motor Co. used for their power brakes (like SelectAire or Polar Aire). Use of the Swift Sure pedal started in 1955 and it appeared on various Ford cars with automatic transmissions through 1962.

I think the Thunderbird line only used this pedal from '55-'58. So, your car may have 'Swift Sure Power Brakes' even though 1959/ T-birds used a pedal with "POWER BRAKES" in raised letters.
    Last edited by simplyconnected; February 22, 2012, 02:38 AM.
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Anders
      Super-Experienced
      • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by simplyconnected
      Swift Sure was a name Ford Motor Co. used for their power brakes (like SelectAire or Polar Aire). Use of the Swift Sure pedal started in 1955 and it appeared on various Ford cars with automatic transmissions through 1962.

I think the Thunderbird line only used this pedal from '55-'58. So, your car may have 'Swift Sure Power Brakes' even though 1959/ T-birds used a pedal with "POWER BRAKES" in raised letters.
      My ´58 have this "Swift Sure" pedal.
      sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• Astrowing
        Experienced
        • Jul 22 2009

My 58 has this pedal also. The 59's and 60's had the larger (wider) rear linings. And the 58's anyway had the split secondary linings with the ceramic insert originally. Did they drop this for 59 and 60? When did they move away from the under dash booster?
        sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Originally posted by simplyconnected
          ...So, your car may have 'Swift Sure Power Brakes' even though 1959/ T-birds used a pedal with "POWER BRAKES" in raised letters.
          Oh, maybe I need to explain: In all the Ford Catalogs and books, if you see a year and a slash (1959/ in this case), it means starting in 1959 and every year after until the end of coverage for this Ford book.

So, we are saying the same thing but in two different ways. Yes, 1958 would be the last year for Swift Sure brake pedals on Thunderbirds with automatic transmissions. - Dave

EDIT: 1959 was the first year Ford used Bendix boosters under the hood.
          Last edited by simplyconnected; February 23, 2012, 03:07 PM.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• stu454bb
            Apprentice
            • Jan 27 2011

Thanks for the replies. So if I were to use a Swift Sure pedal with S.S. trim on my 59, it would be incorrect to the purest. I need to fit a new pedal, and I like the look of the S.S. trim. I recon I'll just fit one anyway.

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

It really is a handsome pedal. If you have a few extra bucks to give your ride something nice but different, hey, this pedal is held on by one bolt and nut. You can always change it back whenever you like. Go for it. - Dave

Last edited by simplyconnected; February 24, 2012, 05:18 AM. Reason: added pics

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• 63-4drpost
                Experienced
                • Feb 14 2009

Bendix Booster usage

My 1957 Merc had a Bendix power brake booster under the hood. Were you just refering to T-Birds?

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

Originally posted by 63-4drpost
                  My 1957 Merc had a Bendix power brake booster under the hood. Were you just refering to T-Birds?
                  Yes. Ford, Edsel, Mercury, and Lincoln cars and trucks used some of the same parts before and after T-bird used them.

For example: Y-Blocks were used in late '54 before T-birds were introduced, and Ford stopped using them in '64. Not T-bird... they only used Y-Blocks from '55-'57.

Our '59 Galaxie came with a 292 Y. (The 'higher' V8 option was a 352 FE.)

As far as Bendix boosters, T-bird master cylinders are 5" lower on the firewall than Ford Cars. Bendix boosters on a 'bird have a different firewall bracket to raise the booster and M/C away from the transmission linkage on the steering column.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Deanj
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Nov 26 2015

Anyone need a "Swift Sure" reproduction brake pedal pad? Here's an EBay listing:

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎