No announcement yet.

New 60's owner question

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

New 60's owner question

My steering stiffens up if not driven for a couple of days....I think I found a grease fitting on top of the shaft housing just below the brake booster. Can it be greased ?? What else would cause the problem ? It is power steering but only some of the time...Any and all help appreciated..

As always Inthegarage
  • Tbird1044
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 31 2012

The grease fitting on the steering shaft is only for the shift linkage parts internal to the shift column. No affect on the steering itself.
    I would look at the control valve on the steering linkage. There is another thread here, that is current, where a member replaced the control valve with a rebuilt, and would only get the p/s back when the engine was over 2000 rpm. He is exchanging the control valve for another one. I'd check what his response will be after he replaces the control valve.
    Nyles

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

There's a lubrication plug on steering box itself. You might want to open that and check it.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Dakota Boy
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 30 2009

and if it needs it, put john deere corn head grease in the steering box
        http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• scumdog
          Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by Tbird1044
          The grease fitting on the steering shaft is only for the shift linkage parts internal to the shift column. No affect on the steering itself.
          I would look at the control valve on the steering linkage. There is another thread here, that is current, where a member replaced the control valve with a rebuilt, and would only get the p/s back when the engine was over 2000 rpm. He is exchanging the control valve for another one. I'd check what his response will be after he replaces the control valve.
          Nyles
          My thoughts too - how long does the steering stay stiff when you first drive off? It might be a lack of pressure to the ram until the pump bleeds air out of itself or some other pressure issue.
          A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

Thanks for the responses....It stays stiff for several minutes with periods that it feels like something is disconnected in the steering.....Assuming PS is working properly then................

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Russell, this is a pump, valve and cylinder setup just like most hydraulic systems. The pump delivers volume if there is no air in the hydraulic lines and the cylinder creates pressure when it resists motion (yes, 'pressure' IS resistance to flow).

When the valve is at rest (in the center position), it circulates oil back to the reservoir. When you turn your steering wheel, the pitman arm pushes a valve spool to the right or to the left which causes oil to flow into the cylinder in the appropriate direction, and you feel the assist.

When the valve spool shifts, it closes the return side and opens flow to the cylinder, proportional to how much pressure you put on the steering wheel. If you lock the wheel at the end of it's stroke, the pump belt will squeal and sometimes you can actually see the pump pulley stop moving because the valve is calling for more volume but the cylinder is at the end and again, resistance to flow causes pressure, so pressure goes sky high.

If for some reason the hydraulics fail, the pitman is also connected to your drag link for mechanical override. Steering is hard because there is no assist AND you are pushing oil out of the cylinder by hand (but the car still steers).

There are only a few reasons why your steering would balk, all of them relate to oil flow. Cold thick oil doesn't move as well as warm thin oil. Air can be introduced from a loose return line, low oil level, cavitation, foamy oil, etc. If your reservoir filter is clogged, that creates a vacuum and causes cavitation (which is air). Air will still pump into your pressure line until it returns to the reservoir, makeing your steering feel like it's jerky.

Everyone uses the garden hose analogy for 'pressure' because it's something you can actually feel:
              Turn on your hose and put your thumb over the end. The more flow you stop, the higher the pressure becomes until it reaches the supply pressure. - Dave
              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎