• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 59thunder
    Experienced
    • Jul 14 2006

1959 Fan Blade

OK next step to find that fan blade

i have a std 4 blade fitted, fan shroud coming....

What are you other folks running?

Would this one work?

suits the following
    290 D6BZ8600B

P20081 G77 CF D6ZE8600AA

7 blade, 17 ½”

diameter, 5/8”

pilot hole

Idents:

D1DE-BA

D6ZE-AA

D7DE-B2A

Comet 73 8-302, 7 blade

Comet 74 7 blade

Comet 75 7 blade, 8cyl

Comet 76-77 7 blade

Maverick 73 8-302 7 blade

Maverick 74 7 blade

Maverick 75 7 blade, 8cyl

Maverick 76-77 7 blade

Monarch 76 7 blade, 5’8” pilot hole

Monarch

Monarch 77 7 blade, Ghia

Montego 73 8-302, 8-351, 8-400, with air-conditioning, dealer installed (8-

351, engine code C), 7 blade

Mustang 73 8-351, with air-conditioning, dealer installed, 7 blade

Mustang 73 8-302, with air-conditioning, dealer installed, 7 blade

Mustang 76 7 blade, late

Mustang 77-78 7 blade

Torino 73 8-302, 8-351, 8-400, with air-conditioning, dealer installed (8-

351 engine code C), 7 blade

Thanks Tony

Hey Tony,
    I'm running a six blade off of '64 Galaxie!
    Richard D. Hord

Comment

• jax
      Apprentice
      • Jun 27 2010

Fan Blade

I'm running my 4 blade with a shroud/165 high flow stat, and I have no overheating problems anymore.
      TBIRD REGISTRY #19539
      1959 TBird
      1958 F100

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

1959 Fan Blade

Hi Tony, I don't know if that fan will work. Maybe one of the guys can answer that for you. What I did was take my five bladed fan to an auto parts store, show it to them, and they matched the mounting holes to a 6 bladed flex fan that has worked very well for me. I also run the 1963 metal shroud off of a Galaxie. Since then, I have had no overheating problems. There is a Dearborn shroud that someone has offered on here somewhere. Bart had a Dearborn on his Tbird as I recall, as do some others. Instead of replacing the fan, you might consider adding a shroud and maybe replacing your thermostat. However, a fan would be cheaper than going the shroud route, but the combination works great for many of us. Especially those of us in hotter climates.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• RustyNCa
          Super-Experienced
          • May 31 2007

Well, you all may find this interesting, or wrong I suppose.

We are running a 6 blade GM fan and heavy duty thermo clutch I pulled from our 68 Oldsmobile when I gave up on it cooling that car (the clutch was brand new) and bought an expensive dual electric fan and shroud setup for that car.

Not running a shroud on the car.

It seems to do the trick here in very hot summer land....

Cheers
          RustyNCA

Comment

• del
            Retired Expert Enthusiast
            • May 11 2010

Tony - I am running a 6 blade fan, a Dearborn shroud and a 165 thermostat. Had some boil over problems prior to making these upgrades. Have had no problems since.
            Regards,
            Don Vincent
            Amherst NY
            1960 HT 352
            TBird Registry 34042

Comment

• 59thunder
              Experienced
              • Jul 14 2006

Thanks guys, will try just the fan shroud 1st when it arrives,,
              but some questions for fan fittment

1/ If i increase the weight of the fan with a Viscous drive hub and fan will the water pump bearing shaft handle this?

2/ How close at static measurement are the flexifans to the radiator core

Or should i just leave it in the Garage and sit in there and look at it !!cheaper on fuel and no overheat problems

Comment

• DKheld
                Super-Experienced
                • Aug 27 2008

Tony - think I just installed one similar to the one you have the link to. When I bought mine I was told it was a NOS fan for a '72 Thunderbird with a 400 ci engine and A/C. Definitely drive that car - don't just leave it in the garage.

Numbers are CF-D2VE 8600-AC not sure of diameter (it's big - probably 17 inch) but it has the 5/8 pilot hole.

Had to use a Summit Racing 2 inch spacer #876 to reduce the A/C pulley hole from 1 inch to the 5/8 pilot needed for the fan. I have read the best static distance between the fan and radiator is 3/4 inch which is why I used this spacer.

It's all really close - about 1/4 inch clearance to the expansion tank and 3/4 inch clearance to the radiator but I couldn't tell you how it cools.......yet - just finished installing it today. Did run the car about an hour idling and no overheating. temp gauge was at the E in TEMP the whole time. I can tell you there was a big difference in how much air was flowing compared to the stock 4 blade fan - much more flow. Much quieter than the original too - it is supposed to be a factory flex fan. The blade mounts are stiff steel but the blades are thin flexible steel.

Hope you find what you need.
                Eric
                registry 5347

looks like I have a leak in the expansion tank.

Last edited by DKheld; December 15, 2011, 06:29 PM.

Comment

• RustyNCa
                  Super-Experienced
                  • May 31 2007

Originally posted by 59thunder
                  Thanks guys, will try just the fan shroud 1st when it arrives,,
                  but some questions for fan fittment

1/ If i increase the weight of the fan with a Viscous drive hub and fan will the water pump bearing shaft handle this?

2/ How close at static measurement are the flexifans to the radiator core

Or should i just leave it in the Garage and sit in there and look at it !!cheaper on fuel and no overheat problems
                  Personally I wouldn't run a flex fan, I remember without foundness the one that came apart on a 4x4 trip in the desert and it cut up the radiator and other import things in the middle of no where...

You also will need to get the fan spaced correctly for the shroud or the shroud will actually make things worse.

Depth of fan shroud. the fan shroud should extend over 1/2 of the fan blade. A very common error is to completely enclose the fan blade within the shroud. The fan shroud should only enclose 1/2 the fan blade. Note: most engines sit at an angle to the radiator so expect that the depth of the fan shroud will be longer at the top than the bottom.

Comment

• Howard Prout
                    Experienced
                    • Feb 11 2009

My '59 430 originally had a four blade fan. I subsequently bought a OEM A/C system for it that included a six blade fan. After I installed the A/C system it tended to run hot, especially on hot humid days. So I bought a fan shroud from a '63 Galaxie and installed it - the car still tended to run hot. So in desperation I bought a Flexalite 1818 18" seven blade flex fan. I had no problem with it overheating this past summer. But now there is a definite roar from the fan, especially around 2000 rpm. I'll take the roar over the overheating.
                    sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎