No announcement yet.

Exhaust Manifold Leak

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust Manifold Leak

Well I was hoping it was a donut gasket leaking but I found it is the Manifold gasket leaking I think I will wait until this winter to fix,but is there any suggestions on the best way to do this so I won't bust any bolts off in the heads, and what will be the best gaskets to use when I put it back together

Hey Bob,
    Had the same problem on Christine. Sprayed penetrating oil (none flammable) on bolts, drive her, bring her home and spray some more on there. I done this for several days before trying to remove bolts. Got new manifold gaskets and talk with older gentleman that has a lot of experience with old cars. He told me make sure manifold and heads are plane. Since they were run hot and leaking there was a chance they were warped. I thought about it for a while and took them apart, took framing square and ran across them to check to see if the were plane. They were. I got new bolts and lock washers. Install gasket and snug bolts. Ran her till she got hot and let her cool off and retighten bolts. Left her sit for a few days and done it again. So far no leaks, only thing is she is to quite now!!!
    Richard D. Hord

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Exhaust Manifold Leak

The problem of exhaust manifold leaks has been talked about so much in the past. I did a quick search and found this. Here are some suggestions as to what to buy in the way of good gaskets..

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• tarps3
        Super-Experienced
        • Jul 21 2003

I've used copper gaskets on any 352's and 390's I've owned and they seem to work well.

Several places carry them:
        JC Whitney, Summit, etc.

About $25 a pair if I remember correctly.
        Casey

Comment

Thanks guys for the info i will get things ready for this fall
          Bob

Comment

• scumdog
            Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

I don't use gaskets - just that clay type goo that bakes hard.
            A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• Dan Leavens
              Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

I would agree with Casey that copper gaskets work out just fine.
              Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
              Thunderbird Registry
              58HT #33317
              60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• scumdog
                Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

CRC MANISEAL is what I use for all exhaust gaskets/seals.
                A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

Well HECK
                  I have been soaking all the bolts for days and then I heated each one with a Tourch got it good and hot all the bolts out but the last one and it twisted off. So now I must take the Head off and drill it out it is the top front and there is no room to drill it out on the car,well now I can see what the heads look like.

Comment

Hey Bob,
                    Do you have or do you know someone who might have a angle drill?
                    Richard D. Hord

Comment

Got her tore down the inside is clean as a pin but twisted off 4 exhaust manifold bolts and this was after we had heated them with a tourch hoping to losen them up, My good friend used his cutting torch and cut the center of the bolt out and them retapped the same threads back so I can use the same size bolts,Just a few picturesand the best on is my instructor getting me a wrench she is my #3 Great Grandaughter. Will let you know if she runs when I get her back together.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• simplyconnected
                        Administrator
                        • May 26 2009

My sympathies regarding the exh. bolts. They're always the most problem, aren't they?

Bob, are you changing your timing chain? If I might be bold, let me suggest a good True Roller Chain set for this great engine. I agree, it does look clean.

Your Mechanic Apprentice is no fool, she's going after the BIG wrenches for G Grandpa.
                        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Hey Bob,
                          Looks great! Keep us posted and get that grandbaby a Thunderbird A.S.A.P.
                          Richard D. Hord

Comment

• trim code 76
                            Experienced
                            • Aug 3 2006

Hello,
                            Been there, done that, as has most of everyone with a 352!! I twisted 3 off. I was told by NUMERIOUS very eperienced engine builders.....DO NOT USE ANY GASKETS! Just mill both sides and bolt them back on. This way there is NO material between the metals. the heat moves across both surfaces smoothly and evenly preventing any warpage. With a gasket, there is a brake between the two surfaces and if it loosens up on one spot or if the gasket starts to go, then that is where they warp. I have no gasket on the side I had to replace, no complaints!
                            Good luck, I have to do the other side this winter!

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎