X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Leaking rear axle seals

Frank, and all of you, do not forget that Rock Auto gives Forum members a 5% discount on all online orders. That discount code is found in the Advertisements Forum postings by Rock Auto. They are a member of our Forum.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Frango100
      Experienced
      • May 2 2016

Thanks for that Ray. Most of the time I just google "rockauto discount" and get the latest valid coupon code for 5% discount.
      sigpicFrank
      1958 T-Bird "Trovão Rosa" - "Rose Thunder"
      Thunderbird registry #61670

Comment

• p38fighter
        Super-Experienced
        • Oct 14 2016

Rock Auto discount code expired on june 9th.

Per the vendor ad it has apparently expired. Has it been changed and or renewed?

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Leaking rear axle seals

Thanks, Chris, I will contact Megan Theodoro of Rock Auto Marketing and ask her to post the new one. In the meantime, if anyone orders, inform them that the 5% discount code they provide us has expired. It might be that Megan is off on vacation or has forgotten to renew it, as she usually does.

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Leaking rear axle seals

I spoke with Rock Auto this morning. Megan is not on duty over the weekend. But I was given a new short term discount code good until 2 July, until she can post a new one. Go to the Advertisements Forum, look for the Rock Auto entries, and you will see the new discount code posted there.

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Leaking rear axle seals

There has been a new RockAuto discount code posted this morning. The temporary one I was given has been deleted. Check the RockAuto entry for the new one in the Advertisements Forum.

Comment

• Frango100
                Experienced
                • May 2 2016

I just put the whole differential back together for now. It seems that a new drive pinion was installed once, but the ring gear looks original and has quite some wear spots on its surface. Also the side gears and pinions are noisy, even though i didn´t open it up to check further. The ring gear had quite some back lash before disassembly and now is adjusted properly. The noise from the differential is a lot less, but i will save up some money to buy a new drive pinion/ring gear set, new bearings set and new pinions and side gears.
                The leaks from both axle tube seals and the pinion seal at least are solved for now, even though i didn´t get the speedi-sleeves yet. Those will also be done when i open up the differential again.
                One thing i didn´t check (very clever) are the splines on both drive shafts. Is this a fixed number on 58 Birds, or can that be different?
                sigpicFrank

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jun 30 2009

your axles have 28 splines
                  http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• Frango100
                    Experienced
                    • May 2 2016

Thanks for that Greg
                    sigpicFrank

Comment

• Frango100
                      Experienced
                      • May 2 2016

Just looking at the Rockauto site for the differential rebuild kits. There seem to be different 9" differentials. Anyone knows the difference between a LM102910, a LM501310 and a LM603011????
                      For the pinions, probably best to buy forged instead of cast. Was the original setup forged?
                      sigpicFrank

Comment

• jopizz
                        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

According to the Ford Parts Book all Squarebirds used LM603011 3 1/16" large bearing cup.

John
                        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• Frango100
                          Experienced
                          • May 2 2016

Thanks John.
                          sigpicFrank

Comment

• Frango100
                            Experienced
                            • May 2 2016

So i replaced the upper suspension arm aft bushings on both sides (both where worn out), and now, when connecting the upper arm to the axle, the axle is swivelled a bit to the front, making the drive shaft yoke not completely in line with the drive shaft. Also both "clappers" are far more open then i saw on pictures from others. Both the lower and upper arms seem to be original and the axle as well. Nothing is bend or strange in any way. What can be wrong here? It almost seems that the upper arms are too short, or the lower arms too long
                            sigpicFrank

Comment

• jopizz
                              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Do you have the rear of the car up in the air or on the ground. If it's up in the air try putting it on the ground and see if it straightens out.

John
                              John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                              jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• pbf777
                                Experienced
                                • Jan 9 2016

Concerning bearings for your differential: before I incurred the cost to freight (& the V.A.T.), the hopefully correct units to......where? I would advise disassembling the differential and acquire the numbers from the bearings (usually present on the bearings & races).

These vehicles are not new, and in the past rather than repair a differential, a replacement often was transplanted (easier!), particularly in the case of the Ford 9 inch. You already indicated your belief that the unit has apparently been address previously, so what was done?

Most all of the components from one 9 inch can be assembled into any other unit (generally with only concerns for appropriate bearings to accomplish such), therefore sometimes one may encounter a "Frankenstein", with parts from several different models and/or years accumulated.

Do you happen to recall the casting identification on the case when you had the unit removed? I believe during this period (of the "Squarebird") the two units were the "WAR" and the "WAB" cases; the later being appropriate for the birds I believe; and if so, perhaps your chances are better?

Just-a-thought.

Scott.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎