• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Richard's finger

Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Hey Dave,
      Thanks! That is about to worry me to death about John's hood. I went downstairs and was looking at Christine's and just realized they are different. Soooo I asked wife if I could borrow her camera and there you have it! I see your never to old to learn something new!!!
      Thanks again! Your detail is better than mine!
      Richard D. Hord

Comment

• DKheld
        Super-Experienced
        • Aug 27 2008

On Dave's original diagram it appears that the hood pin has a flat back on it to hold it to the hood while the nut is tightened to lock it in place.

If the hood is slightly open you should be able to get a wrench on the hood pin nut and take it off or at least loosen it.

The hood pin should then slip backwards out of the latch.

The hood will open a bit more with one side loose and you can do the same for the other side. Since it's not such a big hurry I'll verify with mine tomorrow when it is light and not pouring rain but judging by the diagram it "looks" like that procedure will work.

Eric
        registry 5347

Comment

• jldevlin
          Apprentice
          • Apr 11 2009

WooHoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For future reference....I jacked the car up and could just fit under coming in from the front, I could not really see the latch just a piece of it, I tried my long screw driver but that was usless as the exhaust and steering column are in the way, I saw a big enough opening between the block and exhaust where I thought I could reach my arm in, I reached in and was able to work my arm all the way up, moving to my side I could just touch the mechanism, I proded around for a while and finally got a picture in my mind where I was, I slid my fingers in behind the lever and with a tip of my finger i felt the flang, i gave it a little push and CLICK!!!!!!!!!, i was terrified to look but I got out and saw the hood was indeed open ...man what a feeling, it turns out after an inspection the lever moved behind the release flange when I loosened it, so there was no way I could have used the lever. I appreciate everyones help and It will be a pleasure to join as a member....Thank you all....

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hood Won't Release

Congratulations on figuring out how to spring the release. JohnG might want to grab this information and post it in the Technical Resource Library for future use in case this ever happens to someone in the future. Thank you all for the help and advise given. I was thrilled to read that you did get it to release and how you did it. We will be very pleased to have you as a member! Thanks all for the help given. It is why this Forum was created by Alexander and others. One Tbirder helping another....

It is easy to donate to the Forum and become a Paid Member. All you have to do is go to the top right side of the Forum, find the Donate to Site button, click on it and it will take you to PayPal. You can select two options, one a membership for one year. Or a recurring annually paid membership donation. The choice is yours. If you don't have a PayPal account, look above in the General Discussion Forums. Instructions are there as to what to do. Click on this thread.

Last edited by YellowRose; December 8, 2009, 10:39 PM.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
            Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Originally posted by jldevlin
              ...I proded around for a while and finally got a picture in my mind where I was...
              ... I appreciate everyones help and It will be a pleasure to join as a member....Thank you all....
              I'm sure it was Richard's finger, that you pictured in your mind. That, and Eric's suggestion with the hood pin; Howard was on the right track about the trigger, too... all great stuff. Your pictures really help to form ideas that finally brought success, and saved jldevlin time and money. It also proves, with enough tenacity and a little help, there isn't much you can't do for yourself.

jldevlin, we would be honored to have you as a fellow member. Actually, we glean a whole lot more from this site than the twenty one bucks it costs for membership. It's a fine example of restorers helping other restorers. - Dave
              Last edited by simplyconnected; December 8, 2009, 11:47 PM. Reason: I got fat fingers and short parts, like my memory.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jldevlin
                Apprentice
                • Apr 11 2009

All signed up and a picture of my Bird is showing

Thank you guys, yes after the hood closed I struggled to remember what the heck it looked like, the diagrams and pictures really helped when I was under the car and only could picture in my mind what I was feeling,

John

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hood Won't Release

Hi John!

Thanks for becoming a paid member! Much appreciated! Your Paid Membership is good for one year from this date. I just got the notification a few minutes ago. The system automatically processed your membership and put the Member icon next to your name. You have a very pretty Tbird there! If you want to post more pictures, when you are posting something look down below the box you are typing in. You should see Additional Options as a Paid Member. From there you should see Attach Files and Manage Attachments. Clicking on Manage Attachments will take you to that feature. There you will be able to see what type of files you can upload to the server, and what size they should be. You can post general pictures of your Tbird in the Our Rides Forum. When working on a problem that you need help on, those pictures can go here, as the guys did to help you trouble shoot the hood problem.

By the way... Don't get alarmed about what Dave said about Paid Membership being $21. We told him $21 because we figured he could spare the extra buck! lmbo.. I see by his edit that he has fat fingers and his memory is going! It is $20.
                  Last edited by YellowRose; December 9, 2009, 12:20 AM.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                  The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                  Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                  Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                  https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• jldevlin
                    Apprentice
                    • Apr 11 2009

Thank You much

I will be investigating the whole site tomorrow and I will introduce myself and the Tbird where I will lost what I got on the back of the flat deck and what I have done to it so far

Comment

• simplyconnected
                      Administrator
                      • May 26 2009

John, I sent you a Personal Message. One of the benefits of becoming a member is, you can now post pictures! That's a big help to all of us.

We would love to see pics your '59 'bird.

Thank God this doesn't apply to your hood situation, but I thought this was funny:

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Hey Dave,
                        That's funny, I don't care who you are!!!
                        Richard D. Hord

Comment

• Howard Prout
                          Experienced
                          • Feb 11 2009

Good to hear you got the problem solved. It must be nice to be young and agile enough to be able to snake your arm through that rat's nest. Well done!
                          sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

• jldevlin
                            Apprentice
                            • Apr 11 2009

Agile!!!

Grin, I call it Desperate, will be in a sling for a month I am sure..grin.....I am 6'1 230 and 53...no agility here...just pig headed and must find a way

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎