HEAD GASKET COMPRESSION THICKNESS

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

HEAD GASKET COMPRESSION THICKNESS

Hi
    does anyone know the end compression thickness of the "STOCK orig equipment as it came with the car Head Gasket." I am getting ready to install 3 X 2 carb / intake and wanted to bump the compression up a notch. Fpr every .020" thousands of space from stock either way will give you about 2.5 cc more or less change in combustion area. toying with the idea of copper gaskets as i can buy them at a particular thickness matching up the intake to compensate for the change in the head location. Just need a ref. point for my math.
    thanks
    mark

• Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: HEAD GASKET COMPRESSION THICKNESS

I could not find this information in the shop manuals or the Ford parts book. Oddly, the parts book list the thickness of the 1955-57 292 and 312 gasket as .021 inch thick but gives no listing for any other gasket. FelPro states that their FE head gasket that fits 352, 390, 406, 427, 428, 428CJ, 428SCJ ENGINES 1961-71 is .041" thick.

Hope this helps.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• 1960Bird
      Experienced
      • Dec 4 2002

If you have the heads off...why not rework the heads and then match the intake.

Steve Ronk
      Cedar Rapids, Iowa
      1960 HT 390, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Shorty Headers, 2-1/2" Exhaust and 3.70 Rear Gears
      390, Mild Cam, Headers, 3.70 rear, 2-1/2" Exhaust, Edelbrok Performer RPM Intake, Holley Street Avenger 670 Carburetor, One Wire Alt, Petronix Ignition. She's All Go and No Show.

Comment

hi
        I was hoping someone might have that information, i can get a measurement with a feeler gage while it is still together and i was a inside machinist for 10 years but thought a ford spec. might be better information. the car is stock except for a C6 and of course i still have the cruisematic and did not want to modify any original pc. if possible. I saw the .041" when i was looking and kind of got the idea that felpro made 2 different ones but could never lock that down on the internet. I can buy copper at much more expense and they start around .020" and go up. I know that head gasket design is better today than it was in 1960 and i have to say i have never blown a felpro head gasket on a fe engine. I have blown quite a few stock fe head gaskets from 1965 and back thru the years. thanks for looking and if you come up with something let me know mean while in the next couple of days i'll get started on the motor and try to get a measurement to post
        thanks
        mark
        1960 conv

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎