No announcement yet.

Headlight Problems & Switch Shaft Removal

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having a hard time trying to remove the headlight switch. When I push the button in on the back of the switch and pull on the shaft it will not come out. What is the exact procedure to take it out?
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

That's basically it. Try pushing and pulling on the knob while you push the button in. Sometimes they can be stubborn. Are you sure you are pushing in the right place. The button is in the center of the switch between the contacts.

John
    Attached Files
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Yes I am pushing in the button. Let me keep trying

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Headlight switch shaft removal

As I recall, that silver button you see in the middle, was broken on mine and I could not get the shaft to lock into place. I had to replace that switch. You have a situation where you can't get the handle to release it seems. Keep trying and see if you can get that silver spring loaded button to go down and release the shaft. Let us know how you make out.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Tbird1044
          Super-Experienced
          • Jul 31 2012

I tried getting one apart and finally gave up and cut the shaft on the knob assembly. A new knob with shaft is $10, and the new one looks really nice. I was able to get things apart, once I got the switch out of the dash.
          Nyles

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

When Ray's mechanic gorilla-ed his switch and broke it, he couldn't do it either. There IS a trick to this. I covered it in the TRL:
            Click HERE and go to picture #18
            "The Knob Stick should ONLY be inserted or removed when pushed all the way IN, then the RELEASE BUTTON is pressed."

You can see that the internal 'slide' needs to be out of the way before the button can release the handle. - Dave
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

I went ahead and broke off the knob so i can remove the special nut holding it in place. The knob is like 5 dollars. Easily replaceable. I am in the process of removing the dash pad and the metal dash frame.

Comment

• Tbird1044
                Super-Experienced
                • Jul 31 2012

Dave:
                What an excellent write up and post. I learned a lot by reading through it. I would have never known you can remove the rheostat to clean it, and was even more amazed that you found a new one from Ford. Great.
                A friend is having trouble with his switch, so now I will knowledgeably tackle fixing it.
                Thanks
                Nyles

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

Thank You, Nyles. You know, I write these in-depth articles so that restorers don't have to break their switch.

I guess the wise ones carefully follow the directions and the others are destined to buy new. Too bad for them. This broken switch cost Ray fifty bucks. So unnecessary. - Dave
                  Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                  --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• billy whizz
                    • Jul 1 2017

My 65 Landau just failed it's UK MOT road test because of faults on the headlights. There is no low beam and when I press the foot switch to activate high beam both lights on the passenger side go out.

I have remade fresh and good earth connections on both sides and checked the condition of the reb/black wire which i believe powers these lights. Everything in the engine bay seems Ok.

Now I need to check at the headlight selector switch, but I cannot get it off the dashboard, despite following the manual's instructions. I cannot get the knob out to start it's removal. Any suggestions?

Should I also suspect the foot switch as it's use is when the high beam goes wrong?

Comment

• billy whizz
                      • Jul 1 2017

Thanks

I have just found this thread after searching for solutions for my 65 Bird.

Is the removal of the selector knob the same as this 59 unit?

Does the 65 switch have fuses mounted onto it in a similar way?

I hope to retain the original switch as, being in the UK, parts are expensive due to shipping charges. Mac Auto's want about $90 for a new switch but would also charge about $60 to ship it to me.

Where else can I go for a cheaper supplier who ships internationally?

Comment

• OUR5T8BIRD
                        Experienced
                        • Mar 1 2017

Originally posted by billy whizz
                        My 65 Landau just failed it's UK MOT road test because of faults on the headlights. There is no low beam and when I press the foot switch to activate high beam both lights on the passenger side go out.

I have remade fresh and good earth connections on both sides and checked the condition of the reb/black wire which i believe powers these lights. Everything in the engine bay seems Ok.

Now I need to check at the headlight selector switch, but I cannot get it off the dashboard, despite following the manual's instructions. I cannot get the knob out to start it's removal. Any suggestions?

Should I also suspect the foot switch as it's use is when the high beam goes wrong?
                        Definitely make sure the dimmer switch is clean of corrosion and working . If not it will create high resistance and the circuit breaker in the light switch will open causing the lights to go out
                        and back on repeatedly . From your other post, yes there is a spring loaded button on top of the switch to depress to pull out the knob/shaft .

Comment

• YellowRose
                          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Headlight problems

Geoff, I see that Martin has provided you with some information on that foot switch, and getting that headlight switch out. Here is some additional information from the Technical Resource Library. It pertains to the Squarebird primarily, but Martin says (and he knows a lot about Tbirds) that there is that locking button on the Flairbirds just like there is on the Squarebirds.

First of it, the instructions say to disconnect the battery before working on that headlight switch because it is HOT, and you might blow something. Read the instructions first. As I recall, to get that knob and shaft out, you need to get a flat head screwdriver to the top of the switch. Find that round button and press down on it, with the knob and shaft pushed all the way IN. Pushing down on that round button on top of the switch should release the shaft and you should be able to pull it straight out. Then you can get the switch out to work on it.

Here are a couple of links to this from the TRL

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...%20Repairs.htm

http://squarebirds.org/images_headlight_switch/

Keep in mind they were written with the Squarebird in mind. If you do not have the wiring schematics, look in the TRL under Wiring Diagrams and you will find them also for your Flairbird.

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• YellowRose
                            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Headlight switch shaft removal

Geoff, I moved your thread out of the Squarebirds Forum and merged it with this one in the Flairbirds Forum. Yes, the Flairbirds shaft removal seems to be similar to the Flairbirds as it is for Squarebirds. Someone who owns a Flairbird should be able to answer your question regarding the fuses on the back of that switch.

The Bird Nest in Oregon has that headlight switch for the '65-'66 for $59.95 + shipping and a different one for a '64. Make sure you order the correct switch if you have to buy one. It is Stock #11654D in their catalog, http://www.tbirdparts.com

Here is a video from the Bird Nest on where that button release is located at on a Flairbird and how to take out and put back in a headlight switch. Now in this video, on the '64-'66 Flairbird, I see he said to pull out the headlight switch slightly, and THEN push down on that button to release the shaft and pull it out. Also, you will see that button is different and in a different position on the Flairbird switch than on the Squarebird. I do not see any fuses on the Flairbird headlight switch. Perhaps because they are in a fuse box on it, unlike the Squarebird. I am about to add that video (that I did not know existed until I checked the Bird Nest Flairbird headlight switch part #) and add it to the TRL!

https://www.facebook.com/11058130567...7076366355466/

Comment

• OUR5T8BIRD
                              Experienced
                              • Mar 1 2017

Originally posted by YellowRose
                              Geoff, I moved your thread out of the Squarebirds Forum and merged it with this one in the Flairbirds Forum. Yes, the Flairbirds shaft removal seems to be similar to the Flairbirds as it is for Squarebirds. Someone who owns a Flairbird should be able to answer your question regarding the fuses on the back of that switch.

The Bird Nest in Oregon has that headlight switch for the '65-'66 for $59.95 + shipping and a different one for a '64. Make sure you order the correct switch if you have to buy one. It is Stock #11654D in their catalog, http://www.tbirdparts.com

Here is a video from the Bird Nest on where that button release is located at on a Flairbird and how to take out and put back in a headlight switch. Now in this video, on the '64-'66 Flairbird, I see he said to pull out the headlight switch slightly, and THEN push down on that button to release the shaft and pull it out. Also, you will see that button is different and in a different position on the Flairbird switch than on the Squarebird. I do not see any fuses on the Flairbird headlight switch. Perhaps because they are in a fuse box on it, unlike the Squarebird. I am about to add that video (that I did not know existed until I checked the Bird Nest Flairbird headlight switch part #) and add it to the TRL!

https://www.facebook.com/11058130567...7076366355466/
                              No fuses Ray, they have an internal circuit breaker that will reset .

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎