• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnG
    John
    • Jul 28 2003

Two suggestions:

1) get the Shop Manual out

2) look in the Yellow Pages in your area. Find a place under "automotive electric" or something similar. Take both the generator and the voltage regulator to them and ask them to check them out thoroughly. They work as a tandem. This is good money spent and you will be able to put the problem behind you.

john
    1958 Hardtop
    #8452 TBird Registry
    http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
    history:
    http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• Howard Prout
      Experienced
      • Feb 11 2009

The "Gen" light on my '59 has always had a dim glow, but only visible at night. I haven't tried the fixes mentioned in previous posts, but it hasn't caused me a problem. I am attaching a couple of photos of my gauge readings, one at fast idle (because the car was very cold) and the other at 2000 rpm.
      Attached Files
      sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

Those gauges look right on the money to me. And that's great with a gen.

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Generator Woes !!!

In answer to your question about whether or not you would be better off with an alternator, in my opinion, you would be. However, if you want to keep the car original, the answer would be no. If you want to do what I have done with my Tbird, make it a better running car then it used to be, then go for it.

However, in converting from a generator to an alternator, you are going to have to either modify the generator mounting bracket to accommodate the alternator, or find an alternator bracket that will bolt up to your engine. We went the modify the generator bracket route. That meant changing the belt out also. It took awhile to get the bracket modified and mounted right, but it has been working well ever since.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
          Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Petrolhead
            Experienced
            • Jul 2 2007

Thanks Ray, that's good advice

I've been driving my '62 a bit over the last week without too much trouble, but yesterday I had the stereo going, air, and had been playing with air bags a bit so the two compressors were running intermittently. This flattened my battery to the extent that car stalled in traffic, and wouldn't restart due to a totally flat (brand new) battery.

The gen light glows faintly at idle, but is fine the rest of the time - I believe that it simply can't keep up with the draw of the extra electronics.

I'll check out the voltage regulator/generator as posted on this forum, but gut feeling is I need an alternator and originality isn't an issue. I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers

Alistair

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Generator Woes !!!

Here is more information that Alexander provided us several years back regarding converting from a generator to an alternator. In these posts, you will find several links to the PowerGen company who makes an alternator for our Tbirds, that looks like our generator. Click on the various links to see that, and read what Alexander and others had to say about converting over to an alternator. Also, do a Search on "alternator" and you should find a lot more information.

Here is the information on the company that makes a bolt on alternator mount for our FE engines. Check with them to see which one works on a 430 engine.. This is the C.R.A.P. company or Custom Replacement Automotive Products.

Click on the Ford Parts button to see their mounts.

There is a lot of additional information when you do a search on "alternator" on this forum... Like this...

Last edited by YellowRose; February 26, 2009, 12:29 PM. Reason: Additional information

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
              Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Petrolhead
                Experienced
                • Jul 2 2007

Thanks Ray, you're a legend - really apprecaite all your help

The car's in the shop today, getting the charging circuit checked out. Wanted to make sure it's doing everything it should before I head down the alternator route.

I'll let you know how it works out

Cheers

Alistair

Comment

• Penelope
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Mar 4 2008

Alistair, with my son's bagged car, we had EXACTLY the same problem with a new battery, so we are installing a second battery system as well as replacing the generator with an alternator. Running the two compressors as you are will definitely kill battery cells according to the autosparky that we are using.

I will be interested in the outcome.
                  sigpicBill
                  Thunderbird Registry 21903 & 33405

Comment

• Petrolhead
                    Experienced
                    • Jul 2 2007

Hi Bill

Thanks for the pics you sent me, looks like an awesome day. Love the Moon disks on your son's Impala

Just had a call from the workshop, thay agree, generator's not up to the task which i figured anyway. Problem is the generator's toast too, won't charge at all - unlike my wife who charges evereything (:

So, off to buy an alternator and will have a go at the conversion over the next week or so.

Also had a maor oil leak, good news is that it wasn't the rear mains seal as I thought, but almost as bad, it's leaking between the head and block, so it's head gasket time.

I've got an All Ford Day to go to this weekend, so I'll just keep pouring in the oil and fix that over the next couple of weeks. On the upside, if I get lost on the trip I'll be able to follow the oil trail home - it's leaking a litre for every 100kms, and it's a 350km round trip.

Gas station: "hey mate, fill 'er up with oil and check the petrol please..."

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by Petrolhead

I've been driving my '62 a bit over the last week without too much trouble, but yesterday I had the stereo going, air, and had been playing with air bags a bit so the two compressors were running intermittently. This flattened my battery to the extent that car stalled in traffic, and wouldn't restart due to a totally flat (brand new) battery.

The gen light glows faintly at idle, but is fine the rest of the time - I believe that it simply can't keep up with the draw of the extra electronics.

I'll check out the voltage regulator/generator as posted on this forum, but gut feeling is I need an alternator and originality isn't an issue. I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers

Alistair
                      You have no choice but to go to an ALT conversion. You actually need the late 3G 130A ALT with just one HD battery.

A conversion can be done tastefully so that it would take a lot to be noticeable.

Yours is a 430?

Comment

Bad generator

Guys, This is the second generator I have got from Thunderbird Headquarters. I took generator back off took it and voltage regulator to automotive electric shop to get them checked out as some one had suggested. The shop called yesterday and said generator would work a little and quit start working again and quit. I'm about done with the generator. My question is, I was looking at conversions on line and some said I should go with three wire alternator instead of one wire. If I go this route which one should I get and I would need some easy to follow step in what needs to be done. I looked at several sights and everyone has a different ideal on how to install these. HELP!!! I would like to get a alternator that built inside old generator housing, but the cheapest one I found was over eight hundred dollars.

Comment

• Petrolhead
                          Experienced
                          • Jul 2 2007

Originally posted by KULTULZ
                          You have no choice but to go to an ALT conversion. You actually need the late 3G 130A ALT with just one HD battery.

A conversion can be done tastefully so that it would take a lot to be noticeable.

Yours is a 430?
                          Thanks Kultulz, good advice. Mine's a totally stock 390/auto. If I hang the alt down low on the passenger side, same as the original generator, it'll hardly be noticeable. Will look into one you sugegst - thanks.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by Petrolhead

Mine's a totally stock 390/auto. If I hang the alt down low on the passenger side, same as the original generator, it'll hardly be noticeable.
                            The 3G has an internal regulator and internal fan, whereas the 1G an external regulator and external fan. Would you want to keep the external regulator for proper appearance or is it important (the 1G will also be more difficult to differentiate from the GEN)?

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by Richard D. Hord

My question is, I was looking at conversions on line and some said I should go with three wire alternator instead of one wire. If I go this route which one should I get and I would need some easy to follow step in what needs to be done. I looked at several sights and everyone has a different ideal on how to install these. HELP!
                              Read the post above about ALT types. You want the FORD 3 WIRE style.

Do you have an FE or MEL?

Comment

• fomoco59
                                Super-Experienced
                                • Jun 10 2005

I just got a new free catalog from Mac's Auto Parts (a nice color catalog now) and they have an alternator built into a generator case for 58-64 'Birds. It's called "PowerGen". 60Amp idle and 75Amp at hiway speeds. PN 10346-82101, black case = $374.95. chrome = $425.95.
                                Enter the description POWERGEN or PN at this search: http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....hPage~cadeffcJ
                                Last edited by fomoco59; March 9, 2009, 11:48 AM. Reason: added part num/price
                                sigpic
                                Mike Lemmon
                                '59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎