X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yellow98cobra
    Experienced
    • May 28 2012

Help with noise in reverse

As I back down my driveway I start hearing a noise kind of like air squealing from a balloon (but not as loud). It does not start right away just after I begin the downhill slope of my driveway at this point I have a foot on the brake. It stops when I shift out of reverse.
    Yellow98Cobra
    1960 Thunderbird HT
    Data plt# 63A Z 56 15 H 3 4
    There are 4 pictures of her here, plus a couple of my namesake.
    http://squarebirds.org/yellow98cobra/resized/
  • Astrowing
    Experienced
    • Jul 22 2009

I'd check the transmission fluid level first. Since you had an effect on the incline, I'd start there.
    sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site

Comment

• yellow98cobra
      Experienced
      • May 28 2012

Found the cause. after installing a new bellcrank assembly the car was making these squealing sound in all gears including park. I was able to make it stop by adjusting the transmission kickdown rod to the bell crank assembly.
      But it seems as it now takes the tranny longer to shift in to 3rd. could this be related to the the rod adjustments? I know the manual has you puting the car on a lift, hooking up a pressure gauge to the the tranny and a tach to the engine and adjusting idle speeds and the rod lenghts with the car in gear. so I hope I havn't caused a new problem by adjusting that rod length to make it stop squealing. If anyone has any insight into this I would love to hear about it Thanks, Eric
      Yellow98Cobra
      1960 Thunderbird HT

Comment

• KULTULZ

Yes, as the 58/60 COM used TV (Throttle Valve) Rod actuation instead of modulator valve (61/ ).

The adjustment has to be exact.

SOME applications (BIRD included) had a test port under the hood (has been discussed here). You may be able to use this port for the pressure gauge if you can find a suitable transition fitting (never supplied by FOMOCO).

If there is a shortcut (there is for the AOD), I am not aware of it.

Comment

• yellow98cobra
          Experienced
          • May 28 2012

thanks, I am going to have someone look at that for me. The car ran ok on Saturday. Went I start it today and I had hard time getting it to start it idled really poor, back fired a couple times I drove it around the block and the accelerator would not back down, got it back in the garage and shut it down opened it up and removed the aircleaner went start it back up it did not want to start I pumped it a couple of times and it backfired and caught on fire for a minute. I let it rest for awhile it started up but wants to idle high, if I push on the rod I can calm it down.

Originally posted by KULTULZ
          Yes, as the 58/60 COM used TV (Throttle Valve) Rod actuation instead of modulator valve (61/ ).

The adjustment has to be exact.

SOME applications (BIRD included) had a test port under the hood (has been discussed here). You may be able to use this port for the pressure gauge if you can find a suitable transition fitting (never supplied by FOMOCO).

If there is a shortcut (there is for the AOD), I am not aware of it.
          Yellow98Cobra
          1960 Thunderbird HT

Comment

• KULTULZ

Maybe the best thing to do is bite the bullet and have it rebuilt?

...sheesh...

I got you confused with another poster that has carb troubles, sorry. Advanced CRS.

When you say push down on the rod, do you mean the bell-crank (carb linkage)?

Comment

• yellow98cobra
              Experienced
              • May 28 2012

Yes the bell crank I replaced the old that had a lot of wobble with one that has just a little wobble and it changed the tension on the linkage rods. if add tension on the return spring it will help but now it doesnt want maintian a good low idle?
              Yellow98Cobra
              1960 Thunderbird HT

Comment

• KULTULZ

Can you post a photo of the new install?

Comment

• yellow98cobra
                  Experienced
                  • May 28 2012

ok here is 1 of the carb and bellcrank and a close up of the bellcrank
                  Attached Files
                  Yellow98Cobra
                  1960 Thunderbird HT

Comment

• Astrowing
                    Experienced
                    • Jul 22 2009

The linkage should always go back to idle. If it is not, you have something causing binding perhaps, or could be the choke hanging on fast idle.

As far as pressure, I think it is adjusted too low and you are getting excessive slippage either in the clutches or friction/disc plates. Continuing to operate with slippage will cause them to burn and you'll end up doing another rebuild. The pressure needs to be increasing immediately off idle as specified in the manual.

I'd get the transmission somewhere were you can adjust the pressure as specified in the manual.

Getting the bellcrank, throttle, and transmission lever all adjusted properly will make a world of difference with the driveability of the car.
                    sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by yellow98cobra

ok here is 1 of the carb and bellcrank and a close up of the bellcrank
                      I believe you are missing 1 of 2 retracting springs (Basic PN 9736). I thought I had a detailed photo but cannot find it.

Does anyone have a MPC which will show the blow-up Ill (Fuel Linkage AT)?

BTW- The factory assembly check port is directly behind the bell-crank. My understanding is that this was used only on the assembly line and not in the field. FORD never released a fitting to fit a pressure gauge. One should be able to find something that will work though.

Heed Astrowings advice.

Comment

• KULTULZ

I found the photo(s)...

1960 BIRD 352- Within Thread.

Comment

• yellow98cobra
                          Experienced
                          • May 28 2012

here is a blow up i found i have the 2 springs that it shows

I believe you are missing 1 of 2 retracting springs (Basic PN 9736). I thought I had a detailed photo but cannot find it.

Does anyone have a MPC which will show the blow-up Ill (Fuel Linkage AT)?

BTW- The factory assembly check port is directly behind the bell-crank. My understanding is that this was used only on the assembly line and not in the field. FORD never released a fitting to fit a pressure gauge. One should be able to find something that will work though.

Heed Astrowings advice.
                          Attached Files
                          Yellow98Cobra
                          1960 Thunderbird HT

Comment

• yellow98cobra
                            Experienced
                            • May 28 2012

Yes I already have printed the picture from that thread it is to bad the one with test equipment hooked up is missing.

I found the photo(s)...

1960 BIRD 352- Within Thread.

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...ead.php?t=9364
                            Yellow98Cobra
                            1960 Thunderbird HT

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by yellow98cobra

here is a blow up i found i have the 2 springs that it shows
                              Oh...OK... I didn't see it.

You need to determine where the binding is. Maybe remove the throttle and trans hookup and be sure the bell-crank moves freely (lubricate shaft where it rides in bracket). Then hook up accelerator rod and determine same. Disconnect throttle rod and reconnect trans linkage. Check for binding.

Hook both back up and see if there is binding. It may be the throttle rod needs adjustment. The carb returns to proper idle with the rod removed?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎