X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

How Do You Get The Starter Out?

I just received this request for information from a Squarebird owner who cannot get his starter out to repair it. Can anyone help him?

"I need to remove and repair the starter on my 1960 352 Tbird. It won't clear (frame? block? exhaust?) Ford Manual does not explain any extra steps beyond three mounting bolts. Please advise, thanks, Don."

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Looks so simple just 3 bolts and the starter is free. NOT.

It will come out the bottom but you have to turn the steering wheel back and forth to get the starter to clear the steering linkage. This method took me an hour after I got the starter free from the bellhousing. Goes in just as hard.

The last time I pulled mine I removed the right exhaust manifold and took the starter out the top. Much easier. Either way it's not a quick job. I have not tried to just remove the exhaust pipe and see if it will drop out of the way enough to get the starter out.

Comment

• LuckyJay
      • Jan 4 2007

I had trouble removing mine because the bendix was partially engaged. These older 3 bolt starters are made so that the bendix (drive gear) slides toward the starter to mesh with the ring gear. Then when the engine starts, the bendix gets retracted to the rear away from the starter itself. My problem was the bendix was mid position. It would not clear the flywheel. I had to stick a long skinny screwdriver in along side the starter and manually rotate the bendix to the its retracted position. Then the starter came out (with the wheels moved to one side as explained above). The starter had 2 of the 4 brushes stuck ( easy fix).

Comment

• screenmagazine
        • Oct 23 2010

Starter Removal 1960 w/352 w/PS

Thanks for the info Ray, Gary, and Jay. I will soon again attempt removal with your helpful tips. Thanks Don

Comment

• screenmagazine
          • Oct 23 2010

Thanks starter did come out!

Hi Fellow Squarebird Owners,
          Hi Gary, tried your suggestion on removing starter from my 60. Yes it will come out the bottom with removing no more than the 3 bolts and power connection, by working the steering linkage for clearance. Thanks again, I certainly did not want to remove any exhaust parts, engine mounts, steering linkage, ect.
          Don

Comment

• Dan Leavens
            Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Another successful swap out from a question answered by our members. Now that's why this site, is one of best out there and our membership is growing rapidly. Good work people
            Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
            Thunderbird Registry
            58HT #33317
            60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• ayrwoof
              Experienced
              • Apr 4 2005

engine energizer removal

[QUOTE=Dan Leavens; on mine i seen the head ache decades ago and
              put in a 360 truck flexplate ,, with this i run the late model /high volume/
              short nose starter.. but i still remove the the idler arm bolts from the frame ,and its a snap...

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎