Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ramos291
    Apprentice
    • Sep 18 2014

Found the vacuum leak. missing O ring on the new M/C on the end where it seals with the booster. My mistake for not seeing that the new M/C didn't come with one on it.

Comment

• Dan Leavens
      Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Randy great to see you found the issue, brakes are a good thing
      Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
      Thunderbird Registry
      58HT #33317
      60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by ramos291
        Found the vacuum leak. missing O ring on the new M/C on the end where it seals with the booster. My mistake for not seeing that the new M/C didn't come with one on it.
        That's a lot cheaper fix than a new booster.
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• ramos291
          Apprentice
          • Sep 18 2014

Indeed it is however I am sure a booster replacement is in the future. At this point though I would like to replace that seal and not use the old one. Finding a new vacuum seal is now a difficult task. It would seem that the supplying web site as well as the manufacture do not know what a vacuum seal is. Am I telling them the wrong name for this seal?

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

There's a groove on the end of the master cylinder where it looks like an o ring should be but I've never actually seen one have it. Your booster should not be leaking vacuum where you need an o ring on the master cylinder to seal it. If your booster is working correctly you can leave the master cylinder off and you won't lose vacuum. I'm afraid your booster is still shot.

John

Comment

• ramos291
              Apprentice
              • Sep 18 2014

from what I have read, 60 and 61 bendix brakes used a squared O ring to make a seal at this spot. Good news too, I found the part #
              B8S-2493-A. My brake booster is not a clamp around type but rather screw type. Meaning screws are used to keep the two halves of the booster together. Not sure of other differences. If you would like, check out the link below. Its a bit of interesting information, I thought.

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

As mentioned in the thread the seal really doesn't do much. It's more to keep moisture out of the booster than it is to keep vacuum from leaking out. There are various seals and valves inside the booster that hold the vacuum and keep it from reaching the outer case. If you have a shop manual it will have an exploded view of all the parts. It sounds like you have a Bendix booster, not a Midland booster that used the screw clamp.

John

Comment

• ramos291
                  Apprentice
                  • Sep 18 2014

So an update to this master cylinder and brake booster ordeal, I shipped both the master and the booster to Power Brake Booster INC. Dewey to do a rebuild. FINGERS CROSSED here.
                  Thanks again for all your input guys. Thank you

Comment

• ramos291
                    Apprentice
                    • Sep 18 2014

last update. Newly rebuilt brake booster and new dual M/C with proportioning valve installed in car. Brakes plead and all seems fine. Test drive went great.

Comment

• jopizz
                      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Glad to hear that it worked out. I think we all suspected that it was a booster issue from the start. You sent it to the right place to be rebuilt.

John

Comment

• ramos291
                        Apprentice
                        • Sep 18 2014

Originally posted by jopizz
                        Glad to hear that it worked out. I think we all suspected that it was a booster issue from the start. You sent it to the right place to be rebuilt.

John
                        Thanks again for your help. Now on to the switch from gen to alt. Finding one that fits my finance and car.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎