Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • howelljason70
    • May 10 2010

Gear Selection

For some reason my transmission will not shift into low. I removed the linkage from the column and manually moved the transmission shift linkage and there are only five selections. When I am driving if i try and shift into low it will downshift to first but it does not actually stay in the low selection. Once I have tried to engage low it will stay in first gear through out the rpm range. I then have to select d2 to get it to shift into second. Has anyone had any experience this or is this how a Cruise-O-Matic from a 1959 should behave? Thanks
  • KULTULZ

Comment

• Dan Leavens
      Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Gary thanks for the post and answer on the cruise-o-matic operation. Ray perhaps we can pick this thread up and place Gary's post in our technical section...

Jason: If it helps, with the driving speed and amount of miles we put on our 58 & 60 they are always in D2. The others may chime in as well, as to their driving habits.
      Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
      Thunderbird Registry
      58HT #33317
      60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• howelljason70
        • May 10 2010

Thank you guys very much for the replies. Well with a lot of tinkering, adjustment of the linkage and adjustment of the detent plate, I was able to correct the problem. I now have all of the gear selections in working order.

Comment

• howelljason70
          • May 10 2010

Throttle to Transmission Linkage

Does anyone by any chance happen to have a picture of their throttle to transmission linkage where the adjustment point is. I have a feeling mine is a bit off, it is almost all the way adjusted out. Thanks again!

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Gear Selection

I have already grabbed the pix and will grab the thread for the TRL. It is good information. Me, I drive in D1, which is what I was told we should drive in. That is what those instructions say also, for normal driving..

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
            Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Hey Jason,
              Here's some I took don't know if they will help or not!
              Richard D. Hord
              Attached Files

Comment

• howelljason70
                • May 10 2010

Awesome! Those images are exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a bunch! Time to go do some comparison and see if I can make some positive changes.

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jun 30 2009

howelljason70,

You will find the group here to be helpful beyond belief.

This is truly one of the best boards out there.
                  http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• YellowRose
                    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Gear Selection

Hi Greg,

Thank you for that comment! It is much appreciated! We, your administrators, webmaster, and moderators are trying to do Alexander proud... Our fellow members on here are certainly helping us do that!

Richard, I have grabbed those great pix of the linkage for the TRL. More than likely this thread will end up there also. Thanks!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• KULTULZ

These trannys are pre-modulator valve (introduced in 1961) and the shifts are actually controlled by the fuel/kickdown linkages as is an AOD (TV ADJ. ROD).

The procedure(s) for adjusting the linkage(s) are in your shop manual.

Good job on finding you had a selector/adjustment problem.

If all of the linkage(s) are now tight, make sure the engine/trans mounts are good to prevent unwanted cradle movement. This will also bind the linkage(s).

Comment

• KULTULZ

That Gearshift Selector Description is from a 1960 FORD Owners Manual.

Here's that pesky Trans Pressure Test Port that i have been unable to verify as of yet-

Here is the using of a pressure gauge on a TWIN-TURBO of the period to arrive at proper TV pressure-

Comment

• GTE427
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Oct 9 2007

Gary,

What are you looking for regarding the test port? I have a 59 Lincoln SB that states the last 500 Lincolns would have this line installed for use on the assembly line, thus adjustment at the dealer most likely wouldn't be needed. I don't recall seeing a similar one for Fords.

Let me know if I can help.
                          Ken
                          1959 J Convertible
                          1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• Paulie9fingers
                            Apprentice
                            • May 3 2010

. . my '60 has the test port too
                            " If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour ... you're gonna see some serious sh*t. "

Dr Emmett Brown, 1985

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by GTE427

Gary,

What are you looking for regarding the test port? I have a 59 Lincoln SB that states the last 500 Lincolns would have this line installed for use on the assembly line, thus adjustment at the dealer most likely wouldn't be needed. I don't recall seeing a similar one for Fords.

Let me know if I can help.
                              ...sheesh...

I made a reply post earlier today and somehow must have reviewed it and forgot to actually post it...

There has been a question here for some time what this port was. I had remembered reading somewheres that it was a test port for assembly line verification of AT pressure.

I found the TSB you referenced (THANX!) but am positive I also saw it in either FORD or BIRD reference material.

Thanx again for the reference, I have been vindicated...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎