• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • del
    Retired Expert Enthusiast
    • May 11 2010

Holley 4bbl LIST 1273-2 Rebuildable Core For Sale

Greetings All ~
    On Saturday I acquired a station wagon full of spare parts from the previous owner of a 1960 and 1957. Lots of odds & ends & rusty bits - still sorting through to see what I can use for my '60 - this Holley carb was part of the lot.

As best I call tell the LIST number seems to indicate it could be a later edition of the 1273-1 for the 1957 ? I'm trying to identify what car it would fit and would the ding / dent in pic 4 make suitable only for the scrap pile?
    Any help would be most appreciated.

Happy New Year!
    Attached Files
    Regards,
    Don Vincent
    Amherst NY
    1960 HT 352
    TBird Registry 34042
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

What are the bolt hole centers? We use a 4" square.
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Joe Johnston
      Super-Experienced
      • Dec 23 2008

The '57 and later "B" intake manifold used this rectangular bolt pattern. This carb should fit the "B" manifold and the air cleaner as well since the fuel inlet is not at the top edge of the fuel bowl. It will not fit the older "A" manifolds. I do not know if it is "correct" by the numbers though. If it doesn't leak, it should work.
      Last edited by Joe Johnston; January 12, 2016, 07:45 AM. Reason: added

Comment

• del
        • May 11 2010

carb bolt hole centers

Bolt hole centers are are approx 5 1/4" side to side and 5 1/2" front to back
        Regards,
        Don Vincent
        Amherst NY
        1960 HT 352
        TBird Registry 34042

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

All the Ford Holleys that I have seen have a Ford part number stamped on them. It should have either a ECZ, EDB, ECJ or similar or a B7AE 9510. That doesn't mean it won't work.

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• del
            • May 11 2010

I don't see anything like those code numbers. Another odd thing is that the last listed patent number places it around 1960.
            Regards,
            Don Vincent
            Amherst NY
            1960 HT 352
            TBird Registry 34042

Comment

• del
              • May 11 2010

Originally posted by Joe Johnston
              The '57 and later "B" intake manifold used this rectangular bolt pattern. This carb should fit the "B" manifold and the air cleaner as well since the fuel inlet is not at the top edge of the fuel bowl. It will not fit the older "A" manifolds. I do not know if it is "correct" by the numbers though. If it doesn't leak, it should work.
              Hi Joe - Thanks for the info. I'm not familiar with the B manifold - can you educate me? Thanks!
              Regards,
              Don Vincent
              Amherst NY
              1960 HT 352
              TBird Registry 34042

Comment

• Joe Johnston
                Super-Experienced
                • Dec 23 2008

can you educate me?
                I'll give it a shot.

In short, the "B" is the last character in the cast part number on the intake, just as the earlier intakes had the letter "A" cast onto the part. Just a quick way to distinguish and talk about the the intakes and to make a reference for the bolt pattern for the carbs. The B intake is "supposed" to flow a little better than an A, and in general the B is considered to be more desirable because a more modern carburetor can be directly bolted on with the bolt pattern you mentioned instead of the 4" square base of the earlier Haystack Holley carbs. A carb adapter can be used to put a later carb on an A intake, but most just change the intake to the later style. Log onto Ebay and search for these intakes and you should see examples of the A and the B styles.

Many guys also upgrade their distributors to the 57 and later styles and then use the B intake with a newer carb for better drive-ability and performance. That being said, a properly built square base Holley on an A intake with the distributor that works with the square base Holley, will work well. The systems do not mix and match well and the general consensus is the later design distributor with the B intake are better performers.

Your rectangular based Holley carb will fit the B intake, not the older A intake. This Holley is old enough to have the intake lower on the side of the fuel bowl and is very similar to the 57 Thunderbird unit. It could be a universal replacement unit from the period. The numbers will have to be decoded to learn the application, but it will work as the carb does not know if the engine is in a Thunderbird or a 60 sedan. Later Holley carbs have the fuel inlet at the top of the fuel bowl and the inlet fittings hit the base of the aircleaner unless a special adapter is used (or a hammer to the base).

Hope that helps more than confuses. Glad to answer any questions if I can.

Comment

• del
                  • May 11 2010

Thanks Joe!
                  Regards,
                  Don Vincent
                  Amherst NY
                  1960 HT 352
                  TBird Registry 34042

Comment

• paul274854
                    Apprentice
                    • Mar 10 2011

From the Holley list that I have, the specific number you show is not listed but there is a List 1273-2AAS that is listed and it is for a 57-58 Ford Merc, Tbird 312.

All the 1273 carbs listed are for the same year cars - 57-58 Fords and Mercs.
                    Midland Park, NJ
                    56 TBird, 54 Ford, 48 Ford,

Comment

• del
                      • May 11 2010

Holley 4bbl LIST 1273-2 Rebuildable Core For Sale

Thanks to all who have helped to identify this carb. Based on the information provided below (or above...depending on how you view the forums ) this carb is for 57-58 Ford incl TBird or Merc with 312 engine and B intake manifold. See the pictures for all the various numbers. Note in pictures 1 and 3 the small tube on the right is no longer connected where it should be. Update on mount measurements - 5 1/8" side-to-side, 5 5/8" front-to-back

$40/OBO + shipping. Weight will be 15 lbs from 14226

Please PM with any questions. Be happy to do in-hand over the phone inspection. I have no idea as to condition otherwise, and the PO can't help in that dept either. Offered strictly as is.
                      Regards,
                      Don Vincent
                      Amherst NY
                      1960 HT 352
                      TBird Registry 34042

Comment

• del
                        • May 11 2010

price reduced

$25 + shipping 15#. It will "just" fit into a large USPS flat rate priority box which is $18.75

PM for details
                        Regards,
                        Don Vincent
                        Amherst NY
                        1960 HT 352
                        TBird Registry 34042

Comment

• del
                          • May 11 2010

Sold!
                          Thanks guys for the help with identification.
                          Regards,
                          Don Vincent
                          Amherst NY
                          1960 HT 352
                          TBird Registry 34042

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡