No announcement yet.

59 t-bird differential

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

59 t-bird differential

Hi All, I want to put a trac-lok unit in my rear. I was told they have a 28 spline, can anyone confirm that, also does anyone know if they had 2-7/8 or the lg 3-1/16 carrier bearings. I would like to order one but not going to put in until the spring. The car is put away for winter, so I am unable to pull apart to actually see what I have. Thanks for any information. Tommy"
  • cdhowell
    Apprentice
    • Jun 15 2011

Unless you are the original owner and know nothing has changed then no. Should be 28 spline small bearing.

Comment

1959 differential

Originally posted by cdhowell
      Unless you are the original owner and know nothing has changed then no. Should be 28 spline small bearing.
      Hi cdhowel, I'm not original owner so you are correct it could have been changed. I did check ratio with code and that was right on. Now it does have the 3 chamfered holes on outside of axle, I know that 67 & up that's a 31 and axle with center cut out is 28, but I have been told that it doesn't apply to before 67 and that 59 bird stock is 28. I just didn't want to pull it out of winter storage and pull axle. It all looks original but as you said over the years anything is possible. Thanks for your help Tommy"

Comment

• Dakota Boy
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 30 2009

I was hopeful too that I had 31-spline axles because of the markings on the outboard ends of the axles, but when I pulled them they were 28-spline items.
        http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

1959 differential

Originally posted by Dakota Boy
          I was hopeful too that I had 31-spline axles because of the markings on the outboard ends of the axles, but when I pulled them they were 28-spline items.
          Hi Dakota, did you also have the three chamfered holes. Does anyone know if they ever had 31 spline stock. Everyone I have spoke to said they are 28 spline and small bearing. Tommy"

Comment

• ncbird
            Experienced
            • Jan 5 2008

info

The Mustang guys have put up some very usefull history and info on the Ford 9in. Look up kevinstang and ultrastang 9 inch. They answer a lot of the questions about the different 9 in and how to ID them. Interesting the 1960 Bird had the big bearing rear end. The easy way to identify the bearing size is by the size of the bolts holding the axle retainer.
            Grant
            NCbird on the Coast of NC
            "Dads Bird" for my father

Comment

• Dakota Boy
              Super-Experienced
              • Jun 30 2009

28-spline axles on my '58. Axle bearings are the larger-diameter units; 3.1496" OD (I just checked my notes). When I changed my gear ratio a couple yrs ago, I had pulled out the axles and replaced those bearings and the oil seals.
              Attached Files
              http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

1959 differential

Originally posted by Dakota Boy
                28-spline axles on my '58. Axle bearings are the larger-diameter units; 3.1496" OD (I just checked my notes). When I changed my gear ratio a couple yrs ago, I had pulled out the axles and replaced those bearings and the oil seals.
                Hi Dakota, mine looks identical to pic shown, so even though you have lg outer bearing you still have 28 spline. How about your carrier bearings were they small or the lg. Thanks Tommy"

Comment

1959 differential

Originally posted by ncbird
                  The Mustang guys have put up some very usefull history and info on the Ford 9in. Look up kevinstang and ultrastang 9 inch. They answer a lot of the questions about the different 9 in and how to ID them. Interesting the 1960 Bird had the big bearing rear end. The easy way to identify the bearing size is by the size of the bolts holding the axle retainer.
                  Hi ncbird, I went through all the sites and there is no definite info on 59 t-bird, now Dakota had lg outer bearings and you would think that would be 31 spline but no he has 28 spline. I can't get a positive answer guess I'm going to have to pull it out and remove axle and count splines. Thanks for your help. Tommy"

Comment

• jopizz
                    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

According to the Master Parts Catalog it's 28 splines. Looks like they didn't go to 31 splines until 1963-64.

John
                    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

1959 differential

Originally posted by jopizz
                      According to the Master Parts Catalog it's 28 splines. Looks like they didn't go to 31 splines until 1963-64.

John
                      Yea John, that's what I've been waiting to hear. One more thing not as important to me as spline count but are the carrier bearings small or lg. I would think small with 28 spline. Thanks John. Tommy"

Comment

• jopizz
                        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The book shows 3 1/16 I.D. large bearing carrier.

John

Comment

1959 differential

The book shows 3 1/16 I.D. large bearing carrier.

John
                          WOW" I thought for sure small bearing. John by any chance do they show a part#. I think I will order the 28 spline trac-lok and order the lg bearings and if by chance it's the small if mine look ok I'll try and gently remove and use them. So lg outer bearings, lg carrier bearings and 28 spline. Is that all 58-60 or is 60 all by itself. John thanks for taking the time to dig up some of the mystery info on early 9" differentials. Tommy"

Comment

• jopizz
                            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Original part #B7A-4221-B. Of course the replacement parts will have their own part number. It shows the same for 58-60.

John

Comment

1959 differential

Original part #B7A-4221-B. Of course the replacement parts will have their own part number. It shows the same for 58-60.

John
                              John your awesome" I really appreciate the extra work you put in to gather all the information you did. Thank You Tommy"

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎