Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • M&L60Bird
    • Jun 1 2014

60 Bird Horn Rebuild

Looking for a general opinion. My 60 Bird was restored at the end of 2015 and it had the original horns that have stopped working. I've pulled them out and tested each directly from the battery & they both sound as if the diaphram has failed. The car sat in a barn for 40 years before the restoration back to original condition.

My question is am I better off getting the original horns rebuilt or trying to find a used set to repaint and then perhaps have the same problem? I'm not wanting to install a plastic repo set since everything else on a car is original.

Thanks
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

60 Bird Horn Rebuild

Hopefully, John ~ jopizz or Carl Heller ~ partsetal will be along shortly to answer your question. Carl has nothing but Squarebird parts, so he can tell you if he has any spare horns, or perhaps... who can repair them..

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

You have three choices. You can have yours rebuilt (usually around $100-150 each); buy new reproductions (around $75 pr.), or contact Carl and see if he has good used ones (the cheapest alternative).

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• OUR5T8BIRD
        Experienced
        • Mar 1 2017

Originally posted by M&L60Bird
        Looking for a general opinion. My 60 Bird was restored at the end of 2015 and it had the original horns that have stopped working. I've pulled them out and tested each directly from the battery & they both sound as if the diaphram has failed. The car sat in a barn for 40 years before the restoration back to original condition.

My question is am I better off getting the original horns rebuilt or trying to find a used set to repaint and then perhaps have the same problem? I'm not wanting to install a plastic repo set since everything else on a car is original.

Thanks
        This may be a long shot but has worked for me in the past . Before you throw them out, take a hard rubber hammer and give them each a couple of good hard whacks and see if that improves them any. You may just wake them up from a long sleep and also see a lot of dirt coming out . Good luck, worth a try .

Comment

• bird 60
          Super-Experienced
          • Mar 18 2009

Try pulling them apart. You might find some dead vermin in there, or full of dirt as previously mentioned.

Chris.....From OZ.

Comment

• DKheld
            Super-Experienced
            • Aug 27 2008

I have a little Nissan truck that I bought new back in '87.
            The horn has always sounded like a sick cow (like on it's death bed kind of sick).
            Always loved the sound of the Tbird horns and I had the bright idea that I'd find a used set and put them on the truck.

Send Carl Heller a PM - he sent me a nice used set for a reasonable price.

I repainted mine just to protect them because of where I had to install them. I had planned on putting them behind the front bumper where the original little junky horn was but - THEY WERE TOO BIG

Finally installed one in each wheel well.

Funny part is I had a fellow in a Suburban merge almost right over top of me a few days after I installed them. I hit the horn just so I wouldn't be squashed and immediately thought " Man !!! - who is that blowing the big horns? " Then it hit me - oh - yeah - that's me.........

The guy in the Suburban was looking all around too trying to figure out where that big car was that was honking at him.

Good luck on whichever route you choose..

Eric

Comment

• M&L60Bird
              • Jun 1 2014

Thanks for the response folks. I'll send Carl a note to see if he has any available.

Comment

• JamesBorisPerez
                Apprentice
                • Mar 5 2014

60 Horn Rebuild

I have a 60 as well, my horns work, but for my birthday this year I'll be asking for a horn kit that plays the Theme of The Godfather, I know some will think tacky, but what the heck, I'll keep the stock ones operational also.

Comment

• JohnG
                  John
                  • Jul 28 2003

if you get near to giving up on them, try giving each a brief jolt with 24 volts (2 batteries). It might loosen things up. Nothing to lose.

After that, Carl is your man.

john
                  1958 Hardtop
                  #8452 TBird Registry
                  http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
                  history:
                  http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎