X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • byersmtrco
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 28 2004

Rock a hit my windshield tonight

So, I take the TB out for our weekly (bi-weekly/tri-weekly) Spin.

Go out the freeway (Hwy 17 to Los Gatos & back) 10 mi rd trip (aprox)
    anyhow on the way back, there wasn't even a car directly in frt of me, but
    a rock (or something) hit the windshield.
    (Rickety rasin frasin frickin fracken!!!!!)
    Nice star !!! It'll split all the way up.

I'll see if one of those windshield repair guys can fix it, but doubtful.

What's the scoop on glass for these things these days?
    I'm sure it's a $1000.00 deal. I'm gonna claim it on the Ins.
    Sicka paying all this money for all these years and get nothing.
  • JohnG
    John
    • Jul 28 2003

John, very sorry to hear of your bad luck!!

Your insurance should cover this - most states now consider it a safety matter.

So the issue comes down to what and how.

Is your current windshield the original one?? If you stand to the side and look at it, you should see a slight curvature. Supposedly recent reproductions are flat when viewed from the side (but this is second hand information on my part). If there is a difference, you have to decide if it matters to you or not.

Then there is the who part. I would want to check with a local classic/antique car group and see if anyone had any windshield replacement done. I doubt replacing a Squarebird windshield is the same as replacing one on a 2007 Ford (for better or worse).

Good luck! Keep us posted!

John
    1958 Hardtop
    #8452 TBird Registry
    http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
    history:
    http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Gentlemen, I called Bob's Classic Auto Glass (1-800-624-2130). They have a brand new windshield for a '58-'60 T-bird in three different styles: http://bobsclassicautoglass.com
      Clear
      Green
      Green w/blue shaded band across the top

They are all the same price: $485.00 plus shipping. The company is in Eugene OR, but they have a warehouse outside LA, which could save you a hundred bucks in shipping costs. Call them.

I discussed "branded" windshields. They don't have any, nor do they think anyone sells a branded windshield for a fifty yr-old car. On the other hand, you can brand it yourself if the logo is real important.

Carlton Glass sells do-it-yourself glass etching kits in Hemmings Motor News (since 1981). CLICK HERE and call them.

I hope this takes some of the sting out of your unfortunate mishap.

- Dave Dare
      Last edited by YellowRose; April 22, 2021, 08:51 PM.
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Dan Leavens
        Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

John now that"s what I like about this site BAM you have an alternative and solution to your windshield problem. Are you sure it wasn't a puck from the San Jose Sharks I can certainly feel your pain and you are right get the insurance boys to cover it.
        Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
        Thunderbird Registry
        58HT #33317
        60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• byersmtrco
          Super-Experienced
          • Sep 28 2004

Wow !!!

Thanks guys!!

It is not the original, however it is original style (L.O.F. I believe) It does have the curve with the band of blue tint.
          The flat style won't work in a convertible . . . At least so I'm told.
          Great information. Thanks again.

JB

Comment

• Penelope
            Super-Experienced
            • Mar 4 2008

Just made me think, there is a guy here in Perth who has what he thinks is a NOS windscreen that he imported many years when he had an auto glass shop. He came and saw me at a car show last year figuring if I was stupid enough to have two of these cars, then I would be stupid enough to pay what he wanted for it to get it "out of my shed". Just a casual $1200 Aussie....

I went around to his place to have a look, and sure enough it was a squarebird screen but made in Mexico, and right on the eyeline was a nice ripple in the glass that would have driven me crazy. I didnt actually need one but thought it may be good to have a spare. Then it hit me, duh, I have insurance and it would be their cost not mine.

The guy also had 7 or 8 Chrysler Imperials of varying vintages and lots of spare Mopar engines and gearboxes and a bit like T-Bird Ted wanted the world for all of it.

Anyway, thats a bit off track, hope you get her fixed John!
            sigpicBill
            Thunderbird Registry 21903 & 33405

Comment

• byersmtrco
              Super-Experienced
              • Sep 28 2004

Originally posted by Dan Leavens
              John now that"s what I like about this site BAM you have an alternative and solution to your windshield problem. Are you sure it wasn't a puck from the San Jose Sharks I can certainly feel your pain and you are right get the insurance boys to cover it.

HA HA !! A puck from the Sharks. Although, a few people have left "The Tank" on stretchers from getting hit . . . One comes over the glass.

Comment

• mvonhobe
                Apprentice
                • Jul 11 2003

Windshield costs

A few years ago I'd ordered a replacement out of Salt Lake City; it seemed reasonably enough priced at just under $600, crated and delivered. When the delivery guy slid the crate out of the truck it hit the pavement rather firmly. Yup, broke the windshield. It too several months to get reimbursed. There are 3 glass shops in this little town and, just for grins, I stopped in at one. Quoted me under $300 with the tint. I didn't query him on whether it had the top-to-bottom curvature, I just said "get it!".
                Matthew 1959 Indian Turquise Hardtop
                Tbirdregistry RegistryNumber=13517
                http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdatasheet.aspx?RegistryNumber=13517

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

Originally posted by mvonhobe
                  ...There are 3 glass shops in this little town and, just for grins, I stopped in at one. Quoted me under $300 with the tint...
                  Matthew, what's the name of this glass shop? Can you get a phone number? That price beats everything I've found to date. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• mvonhobe
                    Apprentice
                    • Jul 11 2003

Canon City Glass
                    740 South 9th Street
                    Cañon City, CO 81212
                    Matthew 1959 Indian Turquise Hardtop
                    Tbirdregistry RegistryNumber=13517
                    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdatasheet.aspx?RegistryNumber=13517

Comment

• c4clewis
                      Experienced
                      • Aug 18 2010

Installation headaches

Anyone have problems finding a place that will install the windshield?
                      I talked to the "glass doctor" in town today. He came over to my house to look at the car and the conversation essentially consisted of him saying he would send guys over to my house "when they weren't too busy" to do some work. He didn't want the car at his shop (in case it got scratched), didn't want to take any responsibility if they cracked the glass, and overall seemed to think he was doing me a favor by attempting to fit me in. All the while not quoting a price and saying it could get pretty expensive as the last one the did on an old Mercedez took 10 hours. Needless to say, I won't be going with them.

I know I live in small town Mississippi right now, but sheesh! This was the first shop I tried, thinking that a name brand business would step up and do some work, but alas this was not the case. I hope this is not an indicator of things to come as I try to find someone to install the windshield that arrived today!

Comment

• simplyconnected
                        Administrator
                        • May 26 2009

Modern cars use urethane, squirted around the windshield aperture, then they stick the glass in and let it cure. This is what your glass guys know how to do.

Actually, it's a little more technical than that, but our classic cars used an entirely different method. It's described in your Shop Manual.

Most glass places don't know and aren't familiar with how it was originally done. So, every classic car turns out to be a learning curve for them. That's why I cringe when I think about the yahoos doing our windshields.

My '55 Ford has surrounding stainless trim with a 'J' to hold it in the rubber 'slot'. I heard one 'glass guy' talk about how he took pliers and straightened the 'J' out so it would go in easier. He will never do a windshield for me. He didn't understand, my windshield weather strip AND MOLDING go on the glass first, then the rubber 'lip' is pulled over the body's sheet metal aperture. The book clearly states, this is accomplished by using a pull-rope in the rubber groove, and pulling out both sides at the same time all the way around, starting at the top and ending at the bottom while a helper (outside) pushes the glass in.

It's not that difficult. Ford guys did one windshield each minute with time to spare. To attempt this using any other method is futile. (My windshield wraps around a 'dog leg' just like the T-bird's.)

Your Shop Manual has great instructions in Sec.14-3. MAKE the installer read it before he attempts this two-man job. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• SandyBoy
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Oct 31 2002

So sorry to read this. I can feel your pain. That is why I seldom take my special cars out! I worry the entire trip! I used t do it around 7AM on Sunday mornings. Almost NO traffic then. Then...I got lazy.
                          But still take them out, when the blood pressure is low.

Hope it all works out for you, and quickly.

Comment

• Joe Johnston
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Dec 23 2008

Simplyconnected is absolutely 110% correct!!! The "old school" glass shops can change these with no problems but the new guys just know how to use a caulking gun!!! I had one changed several years ago at my local shop and the man was excited to do it!!! Hadn't changed one like that for years! I would need a new gasket and could even help since he also had old Fords! Since learning from him I have done a couple myself, but reading the instructions in the manual is a bit intimidating untill you study it a couple of times. Shop around - you will find someone at a glass shop or a restoration/body shop that knows what they are doing.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                              Administrator
                              • May 26 2009

Joe, if I might add... I've seen this procedure done in production. So, reading about it is never the same as seeing the real thing. Production workers are super efficient, never wasting a motion or a second, and they make the job look very easy. They do 500 per shift and the hardest part is, crawling in and out of every car.

It's almost like watching Michael Jordan shoot hoops... looks real easy... now, YOU try it.

For the fun of it, I figured out how much each windshield costs to install: Two guys at ~$150/day each = $300 divided by 500 cars = SIXTY CENTS (each professionally done in one minute). Even if I doubled this amount, it's still under a buck and a half per car. If you offered $3 to install your windshield, a glass shop would be insulted, but that's four times the wage a production worker earns. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎