X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

Sequential Tail Lights on a 1960 Thunderbird

I have thought of using the sequential tail light kit by WebElectric Products ( http://www.webelectricproducts.com/products.htm ) on my 1960 Thunderbird to make this a Squarebird version of the 1965 Thunderbird onward type of sequential turn signal. The inner back up light would be replaced with a red tail light lens in this conversion.

What do you think about this?

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

RE: Sequential Tail Lights on a 1960 Thunderbird

Neat but would you still have a back up light somewhere. I believe this would also make your car safer to drive as it improve attention getting from those people talking on their cell phones. Its amazing how many people pass you and don't take a look at what your driving -- they don't see anything but their distination. I have a WWII jeep with 50 cal machine gun and you can be ideling at a light and 80% of the people wouldn't look over. Now that other 20% shout and flash lights, or thumbs up or call the police.

Comment

• Alexander
      Webmaster
      • Oct 30 2002

I am still deciding where to put in the back up lights. I will mount it on the license plate frame, the trialer hitch or in the pair of the lower bumper mounting bolts.

I got the sequential kit yesterday. It took only two days to get it delivered by priority mail. If the weather is nice, I will install it this weekend.

Alexander
      1959 Hardtop
      1960 Golde Top
      Alexander
      1959 Hard Top
      1960 Golde Top
      sigpic

Comment

• Alexander
        Webmaster
        • Oct 30 2002

Installing the module is very simple. You do not even need to cut or modify any of the original wiring.

I posted a video of the sequentials in operation on my 1960 Golde Top at http://www.squarebirds.org/sequential.htm .

I will post full wiring directions soon.

Alexander
        1959 Hardtop
        1960 Golde Top
        Alexander
        1959 Hard Top
        1960 Golde Top
        sigpic

Comment

Alexander,
          I was very impressed in seeing the sequential tail lights, it really adds a nice touch to your goldetop, nice mod.
          Thanks for turning me on to this great site, learning alot about these great cars, I'm hooked.
          Don't be surprised if you see me cruise on by one Tuesday night with a squarebird. I would love to own a 60 convertible with all the options.

Dave
          non-squarebird owner

Comment

• Alexander
            Webmaster
            • Oct 30 2002

Dave,

Welcome to the site. Squarebirds are great cars. They have a personality all their own. If you are ever looking for one, I help you evaluate the car. I know a little about these cars.

Alexander
            1959 Hardtop
            1960 Golde Top
            Alexander
            1959 Hard Top
            1960 Golde Top
            sigpic

Comment

• Rockin Kev
              Experienced
              • Oct 31 2002

Alex,
              Well how cool is that i got to have this light set up, i will get my mate to drive the car then i can see it in action. The Golde top is under restoration big time now , got all the bits to do it so will start it soon.Here in England we have amber turn signals ,so i have nearly been rear ended by drivers who cant remmember red turn signals as they went out in 63.
              Kev 60 Golde Top
              Thunderbirds of England.

Comment

That is a good price. I paid about $170 a year ago from a local company. That included an adjustible underdash flasher. I can set the speed of the sequentials. I like it slow. When I first installed the unit I found myself making needless turns to show it off. By the way it took me the better part of day to hook it up neatly with connectors and heatshrink, pulling out the back seat for wiring and puling out my speedometer to reach the flasher. and of course pulling off my waffle plates to replace the backup lens. It was a simple wire hook up. and the solid state unit is smaal enough to hide. I find that the engine has to be running though for them to work properly. When I first put them in I was mesmerized by the appearance and just gazed at them endlessly. Bob

Comment

Though I don't have a square bird...YET...I do have a '65 and, yeah, those sequential lights are one of my favorite features of the car. They just blow people away!

Comment

I have just ordered the sequential tail light kit. Thanks Alexander for the wiring directions. I still have some questions (I’m not an electrician). Abowe you wrote it’s not even need to cut or modify any of the original wiring, but in your directions it looks like you have cut the wires to the lamp sockets.

The on line instructions by WebElectric Products advise to cut the signal wire (the green one from socket) that goes to the middle lamp and then connect the white module wire to the wire that goes to the socket and cover the dangling wire with electrical tape. Won’t I loose the brake light on the middle lamp then? Isn’t it necessary to cut the wire (the single black one from socket) to the inner lamp and connect red module wire there? Then I lose the back up light? I could have misunderstood something here.

I think have the standard lamp configuration, outer lamp (parking light, turn signal and brake light), middle lamp (brake light), and inner lamp (back up light). Help will be appreciated.

Comment

• Alexander
                      Webmaster
                      • Oct 30 2002

You will lose the back up light in the conversion. I just put a white lamp on my trailer hitch and connected it to the backup light wire. I did not cut a single wire in my installation. One you get the kit and look at the directions on the Squarebirds site it will be self explanatory. If you have any furhter question, feel free to as.

In the installation that does not connect to the dash turn signal indicators, all six lights will sequence once for braking and then remain steady. When a turn signal is made, the appropriate side will sequence.

Alexander
                      1959 Hardtop
                      1960 Golde Top
                      Alexander
                      1959 Hard Top
                      1960 Golde Top
                      sigpic

Comment

Thanks, it sounds good that I not have to cut any wires. I have done a simple drawing of the connections. Are these connections correct?

Comment

• Alexander
                          Webmaster
                          • Oct 30 2002

If you use the stock setup, you only have one wire coming out of the inner/backup light. You can exchange this for a socket with two wires to get both parking lights and turn/brake lights in that lens.

Alexander
                          1959 Hardtop
                          1960 Golde Top
                          Alexander
                          1959 Hard Top
                          1960 Golde Top
                          sigpic

Comment

Great, thanks again for the directions. I will try to install it this weekend.

Comment

Done! The sequential tail lights works great. For the back up lights I used red transparent paint for glass. It works well. My next step is to fix a two filament bulb socket for the inner tail lights. I think it’s possible to change the content in the socket.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎