X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yadkin
    Banned
    • Aug 11 2012

Efi

I'm starting to think about my next mod, and that would be electronic fuel injection. Professional Products has a throttle body system that looks nearly foolproof, Powerjection III. Remanufactured kits are about $1100. I figure another 2-300 for supply and return lines and their fuel on demand module, which would reduce the pump noise at idle. Not really sure how I would install the return on my existing tank though.

• franklin
    • Feb 9 2014

Please keep us posted on your project! I would love to do something with F.I.
    1966 town hardtop

Comment

• Yadkin
      Banned
      • Aug 11 2012

This won't be for a while, as I need to iron out some other issues and let my wallet rest a bit. I'd like to know what others have experienced with these systems.

I intended to install an oxygen sensor in the exhaust to help me tune the carburetor, and I actually have one with a bung to weld on when I change out my mufflers. But I'm afraid my old carburetor isn't long for this world. The E85 gas is probably eating it up; as I'm experiencing really poor fuel mileage.

Instead of buying a new after market carburetor I'd rather spend a little more for better starting and driveability.

Comment

• stubbie
        Experienced
        • Jul 7 2011

I just looked at a youtube video about that system and the guys says $1650 to $1750 to get it up and running but that's a pretty good price considering the Holley EFI is about $2300.

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Summitracing.com is about the only good vendor who KNOWS EFI systems. You should talk with them.

They sold me a unit, made by a company who ONLY makes EFI systems. FAST (Fuel, Air, Spark Technology). I looked at Holly, Edelbrock, MSD, and many more. Then, I bought a FAST Fuel Injection EZ-EFI Self-Tuning Fuel Injection System.

The price depends on what components you need. If you have a programmer or an electric fuel pump the price drops dramatically.

When I install it, I will post pictures. - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Yadkin
            Banned
            • Aug 11 2012

The price also depends on if you get a remanufactured unit. Pro products advertise these on their site for about 60% of new.

Dave, why did you choose the FAST system?

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

The FAST system bolts right on our 4X4 intake manifolds. A few tasks are sometimes too much for the typical backyard mechanic:
              Welding the bung into the exhaust,
              Mounting an electric fuel pump system
              Running a return fuel line.

The return line can be small. Very small. My fuel tanks have a vent that I can simply tap into so that part is easy. I weld and I fabricate. I prefer to put the pump inside the fuel tank but that isn't necessary for this conversion.

EFI atomizes the fuel under 50+ psi so a lot more of the fuel is burned. The oxygen sensor maintains 14.7:1 air-to-fuel ratio which does a few things:
              Correct mixture optimizes horsepower which optimizes economy. This system pays for itself in fuel savings alone. EFI opens the door to accessories like 'remote start' and it puts an end to vapor lock forever. These systems are like modern cars where you simply turn the key and forget having some days where your engine runs better than others. Temperature, humidity, altitude.. none of this matters anymore. When is the last time you heard of a EFI engine flooding? Those days are gone too.

I personally spoke with the Ford Racing guys, Edelbrock guys, and many more at the last Detroit Autorama. All the systems are good. Let's just say they all beat the crap out of carburetion. Some systems cost more than others and some systems are meant for highly specialized engines, such as racing applications. I don't have that. This system simply asks if I have a stock cam, mild street cam or hot cam. That's it. The injectors are part of the throttle body as well as temp, barometric pressure and wide open throttle sensors. I can even use my stock air cleaner and nobody will be the wiser.

Summit recommended this system. They sell all the different systems but this one has the fewest returns and the greatest customer satisfaction. So, I try. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Yadkin
                Banned
                • Aug 11 2012

There is a vent on the top of my tank now. I have a rubber hose from that to my vapor recovery system. Is that where you ran your return? How do you keep the tank from running a vacuum?

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

Seriously? If your tank is vented, how can it run a vacuum OR a positive pressure? If you're not sure, use a vented gas tank cap.

My tank vents come off the top of the tank, go into the trunk with a high loop than exit just beside the filler neck. If I open my fuel filler door I can see the vent hole.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Yadkin
                    Banned
                    • Aug 11 2012

Mine's vented through a carbon canister. I have a sealed cap, the filler tube is vented just below the cap with a 1/2 hose. The small tank vent is an additional vent, probably not needed now, so I can run the return to it.

The FAST system has a lifetime warranty. The Performance Products is only 90 days.

What about an in tank fuel pump? How difficult is that to install with the OE sending unit? Does the pump just roll around on the bottom of the tank?
                    Last edited by Yadkin; October 12, 2015, 10:46 PM.

Comment

• Yadkin
                      Banned
                      • Aug 11 2012

Looks like the FAST doesn't work with E85?

Comment

• simplyconnected
                        Administrator
                        • May 26 2009

Have you ever heard of any EFI system that won't handle gasohol? Every major city across the USA ONLY pumps gasohol for cars.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Yadkin
                          Banned
                          • Aug 11 2012

FAST states in their FAQ that the EZ EFI unit is not for E85, but that may change. I have an email to them for a response.

Comment

• stubbie
                            Experienced
                            • Jul 7 2011

Speaking of vented gas tank caps. I opened my gas tank the other day and it had quite a build up of fumes. The car was in the garage and not in the sun. Should the standard cap be vented or not? Thanks

Comment

• simplyconnected
                              Administrator
                              • May 26 2009

Stubbie, should the cap be vented, for what car? Squarebirds did not use a separate vent tube so they need a vented cap. My '55 and '59 Fords have a separate vent tube so no vented cap is necessary.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎