X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anders
    Super-Experienced
    • Jan 19 2008

Cruise-O-Matic breakdown?

I was out taking my bird for a spin yesterday after changing the fuel pump. The car run very nice and have a very good and quick
    response since me and a friend of mine, who knowīs stuff like this many times better then me, tuned the carburator with some other springs and needles. Feels like I have 50 or so more horsepower now. Never the less, I was out driving and everything was perfect. It changed gear perfectly and with ease. The car felt realy good and fast, so I drove like 70 miles all together.
    When I came home and parked it in the garage I could here a ( just ) a little chirping. But it was very, very little and I thought it might be one of those noises that sometimes comes ( and goes ) when the engine is hot. The temp was normal all the time though.
    As it is a nice and sunny day here today, I thought Iīll take Ruth to work, and reversed her down my driveway, and took off. But after like 25 meters ( less the 100 feet ) the car started to squeel VERY loud. Iīm talking about VERY LOUD! It sounded like a pig in pain. So I braked and moved the gear selector around to see if anything would take away the squeel, but it still sounded as loud as before. The car didnīt want to go forward or reverse after that, hut still squeel all the time. I was now sure I would vake up the whole neigborhood, and I was worried about the transmission. Waited a little while, abd tryed to start again, but all the noice was still there and the car donīt want to move. As I didnīt even manage to get it back home I left it there and took my other car to work. Any suggestions what have happend, and what I should do? Iīm depressed I checked the level of transmission oil before I drove yesterday and it was the right level.
    Last edited by Anders; August 27, 2012, 04:54 AM.
    sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Anders
    ...I checked the level of transmission oil before I drove yesterday and it was the right level.
    Most trans problems arise from having NO or LOW trans fluid. What is the fluid level now?

I hope your trans is ok. Pull the dipstick out and smell the fluid. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• kuusamon
      Experienced
      • Feb 14 2009

The only thing that I can think of right now based on what you told here (oil level ok, car will start etc) is the Torque converter. It is very unusual for a converter to break down, I know. In tha past when I was 20 and living in the US and driving my plymouth it happened that I forgot to check and fill the trans oil, after which the car would not move and squeel a bit. nothing broke and after filling it with oil evrything was 'hunky dory' again. But in your case the converter might broken, acually let's hope so, of course we hope that nothing is broken, it would be better than the pistons (after something has fallen in the intake manifold upgrading the carb) or the gearbox itself. There are a few converters laying around in Europe. Hope all is well soon, still a few nice days left here in the north, sitting in the sun now and that in Lapland!
      sigpicGreets,
      Ronald
      Kuusamo
      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=1741

Comment

• Anders
        Super-Experienced
        • Jan 19 2008

Hi guys, and BIG thnks for your support!

My friend " the expert", who is always willing to help me, is also working here at Volvo on the transmission dept. and have a super duper fine 65 Impala, and have restored many vintage transmissions, and I decided to sneak away from work here ( itīs still morning ) to have a look. The sound was exactley as the transmission have sounded a few years back, when I didnīt have enough oil trying to select reverse. To make a long story short, I was in the car while he was under the hood, and he located the sound to the front somewhere. Then he saw that the steering pump belt was stucked ( making the noice, and now also smoke... ). So we just cut the belt, and I could drive the car back to the garage with a very heavy steering. Will order a new pump

Comment

• kuusamon
          Experienced
          • Feb 14 2009

wow, this is indeed new for me, that the powersteering pump can make problems for the transmission to be put in gear is a big surprise, learn something new every day, lucky, those pumps are not hard to find, even in Europe.
          regards=ron
          sigpicGreets,
          Ronald
          Kuusamo

Comment

• Anders
            Super-Experienced
            • Jan 19 2008

Well, I guess itīs more me have trouble to locate the problem. I was fooled because itīs sounded like another problem I did have in the past. The reason I could not drive, or thought )I could not drive, is that the belt worked as a brake for the engine as the pump was totally stucked, and with automatic transmission, it felt as I couldnīt drive...
            Sorry for being such a fool.

Comment

• kuusamon
              Experienced
              • Feb 14 2009

No, no fool, we learn from that, just lucky that it wasn't the trans. or the engine itself, I would have probably made the same mistake, most of the time by such a heavy problem an noise you think the worst, what a relief it is then when it is something relative small and less costly.
              sigpicGreets,
              Ronald
              Kuusamo

Comment

• DKheld
                Super-Experienced
                • Aug 27 2008

On the positive side - a power steering pump (and belt) will cost much less than rebuilding a transmission.....

Sounds like the luck I have. Got mine all fixed up and drove it 2 weekends in a row. The second weekend the rear main seal decided that 54 years was long enough to work and failed. I had to pretend I was James Bond and all the smoke pouring out behind was a "smoke screen" to elude the bad guys.

Hope you are back on the road quickly.

Eric

PS - as Ronald mentions - we've all been fooled at one time or another - no need to apologize. I know the belts are the first thing you will check next time you hear a "pig in pain"

Comment

• Yadkin
                  Banned
                  • Aug 11 2012

I had nearly the same thing happen on a much newer Bird (1985) upon starting it after winter storage.

Comment

• Anders
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jan 19 2008

Things are sometimes not what it looks like, even when you think you know whatīs happend...
                    Got myself a new power steering pump yesterday from a ī58 Fairlaine, and dived into the engine bay today to get the broken one out. Thatīs when I found out it was not broken......
                    THIS is what actually happend: The pump is mounted on a bracket with two bolts between the bracket and the pully. These ones have come loose, but as they canīt fall off as they canīt pass the pully, one of them screwed itself out until it stopped the pully while I was trying to drive. Good thing is that the pump is fine ( as always ) and apart from a few hours work, the cost is down to a new belt and new oil. Donīt even need to clean out the system as the oli was red and fine At least something to be happy about. But to be honest, Itīs fun to wrench also I learn something all the time
                    Attached Files

Comment

• tbird430
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jun 18 2007

WOW!!

This started out as a possible blown transmission (orsomething similar) & then turned into a small problem. Now it's just a cheep fix- It just keeps getting better & better Anders.

Maybe check under your Bird's floor mat for a $100 bill (or whatever you guys use over there). LOL!!

-Jon in TX.
                      sigpic
                      The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• Anders
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by tbird430
                        WOW!!

This started out as a possible blown transmission (orsomething similar) & then turned into a small problem. Now it's just a cheep fix- It just keeps getting better & better Anders.

Maybe check under your Bird's floor mat for a $100 bill (or whatever you guys use over there). LOL!!

-Jon in TX.
                        Found a quarter there once. Thatīs my lucky coin and itīs stored in the ash tray

Comment

• kuusamon
                          Experienced
                          • Feb 14 2009

you very lucky Swedish man, ha ha, and surprise because of the quality of the engine, car and engineering, no other problems. if a loose bolt in a modern car came loose and stopped a pulley or so, the damage would have been possibly much greater.
                          sigpicGreets,
                          Ronald
                          Kuusamo

Comment

• Anders
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Jan 19 2008

Just to finishing this issue ( and thread ) I have drilled out the center of the pully as there was quite a play, and put in a new piece to center it up nicely. Everything works great now again
                            Attached Files

Comment

• lawyercalif
                              Experienced
                              • May 12 2011

I was a professional mechanic in the 60's, and a backyard mechanic ever since. So I find it hard to understand how the power steering pump which has its own source of fluid can have any effect on the automatic transmission.
                              Can someone explain this one to me?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎