X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Bill Knighton~Penelope Does The Alamo!

Bill, his wife Deb, and their two traveling friends, Andy and Belinda, are here in the States on another Grand Tour. Several years ago, they were in the Western part of the country, but this time they started in NYC, and worked their way south through Tennessee, on south to New Oleans, and then on to Houston where they toured the Space Center there. This trip he had told me that he was gonna plan it to go through San Antonio to meet me, and they did! A few days ago, he called me to say they were a few days ahead of schedule and would be in here on Friday, which they were. They got in late Thursday evening, at a hotel right on the riverwalk, had supper on the river, got some sleep and called me about 08:30 yesterday morning to let me know they were up and rip roaring ready to go.

So off I went to their hotel to meet them. I had been toying with donning my cowboy boots, shirt, and hat, but I figured they might take me for any Texan in that git up, so I decided to wear my So.Texas Tbird Club shirt, name tag, with a picture of Tweety Bird embroidered on the back! I got a few comments from people passing us about my gitup! I figured he would not miss me that way. So we met, and it was great to finally meet him, Deb, and their friends. Bill and I have skyped back and forth over past years from time to time.

Off we went in their big Dodge Grand Caravan rental, because if we took my 4 passenger Ford Focus, someone was going to be sitting in someone's lap. Besides, they have GPS and I don't, so we put that to good use, as Andy drove us to our destinations. Since they were really close to the Alamo, we did that first, with me providing a lot information regarding and the Battle, this certainly not being my First Rodeo of giving the Grand Tour of San Antonio! But they are my first Squarebird members from Down Under to do it for. But not my first Aussie couple, but that is another story.

After that, off we went to the Four Missions south of the city, and toured those til around 2pm. Then I suggested that if they enjoyed steak (which they do!) that we drive to the fairly close Little Red Barn Steak House for a late lunch. We had a great salad, and great steaks there, and they were very pleased with theirs, as I was with mine. After that, we decided to go back to their hotel for rest and chat for awhile. Their hotel puts on a free 5:30pm brunch, and we partook of that, which was really good. Then we went to the riverwalk and to ride the boats during the evening hours after dark. But we had a change in plans, and decided we would to that tomorrow evening. So off we went to the Tower Of The Americas and went to the observation deck to see the city 360, as the sun was setting. At some 562ft in the air, it can get pretty windy on the open air observation deck! The ride up and down that elevator, which is on the outside of the tower, is always interesting to say the least!

Today, We will go out and about again, this time to the Mexican Market, probably have lunch at the world famous Mi Tierra restaurant there in the market. The plan is to have dinner on one of the dinner boats on the river, if we can pull that off. If not, we will just take the boat ride. Then they will be hitting the road again on out to California and that longgg flight back.

It has been a blast for me, and I think for them, to visit with each other. We did a lot of walking, and I found that they have the same problem I have with a knee, bad ones, but we all survived, I think! Here are a couple of pix that were taken. The first pic is of me and Bill at the Little Red Barn, which they enjoyed. At the Alamo is me on the right, Bill, Deb, Belinda & Andy. I added a pic of what the back of my Club shirt looks like since I had a picture of Yellow Rose embroidered on the back!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by YellowRose; May 12, 2018, 09:08 AM. Reason: Spelling & wording corrections.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html
  • KENN
    Experienced
    • Aug 6 2015

Very Very Cool Ray..kenn
    WHITE 60 HARDTOP AND 54 FORD SEDAN CUSTOMLINE TBIRD REGISTRY #61860 920-286-2277

Comment

• Dan Leavens
      Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Ray I am sure that Bill his wife and friends had a blast. As Ken said, it is cool that some of our international members can meet face to face and have an official tour guide.
      Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
      Thunderbird Registry
      58HT #33317
      60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

I'm glad y'all had a good time. Texas is a great place with loads of attractions to visit. I hope your guests saw some real cowboys and Indians. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• stubbie
          Experienced
          • Jul 7 2011

Nice one Ray. I'm sure they appreciated it.

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

And moves on west... This morning, I took the women to the Mexican Market downtown, as Bill and Andy went up to Johnson City to check out some classic cars. It worked out well, because they got to check something off their bucket list that they wanted to do while in this area, and the women did also. They went through the market for awhile and then we walked across the street to the Mi Terria restaurant for lunch. As usual, it was packed, and especially so since it was a Saturday, and also Mother's Day weekend. The girls had a a couple of margarita's, which they enjoy. They said that it would take about 30 minutes or so before we could be seated, but it was only about 15 minutes. Mi Terria is a old Mexican American food restaurant established around 1941. It has gained international fame for its food, service and atmosphere. Deb and Belinda thoroughly enjoyed all three.

After that, the guys were back from their trip, Andy complete with a gimme ball cap from the company they visited, and the Cowboy hat he wanted to take back with him. We went back to the Drury Plaza Hotel on the Riverwalk. Deb, for years, does all the planning and booking for their world and USA trips, and she does a masterful job of doing so. She picked the Drury Plaza Hotel right on the riverwalk, and they were very pleased with the service, and the amenities. They and I recommend the Drury if you are coming to San Antonio. You go to the bottom of the hotel, past the huge, open bank vault (the hotel used to be a bank years ago) and are shortly standing on the Riverwalk, within walking distance of much of the activities on it, and ready access to the boat rides.
            https://www.druryhotels.com/location...onio-riverwalk

We rested for awhile, and then had the free supper at the hotel prior to taking a riverboat ride. They had wanted to schedule a dinner on a dinner boat, but was never able to get in contact with anyone. As it turned out, we were glad that it did not work out. I had wanted to make this a night time cruise to make it more romantic for them, but it gets dark so late, so that did not work out either. So we caught a boat not far from their hotel and took it. I have been taking friends, guests, family many times over the years on riverboat cruises off and on ever since 1971. I have had a lot of fun doing them, and usually, the Boat Captains are very entertaining and funny. But tonight, we all got a really special treat, all 40 of us on the boat! Our Boat Captain was named Juan, and he took on a constant patter of telling us history of the river, the buildings along it, and a constant funny banter of many different things he had to say. Everyone on the boat was laughing so hard and in stitches. After nearly 50 years of taking these trips, he has to be the very best Boat Captain I have ever seen and heard, and Bill and company just loved it, and said that capped off the entire two day trip here!

We got back from the ride, and sat in the lounge area for a bit, and then they saw me to my car, as they went about packing for the next leg of their trip. Out IH-10 to Ft. Stockton, where they just might see real cowboys working cattle as they go by cattle ranches, on to El Paso, New Mexico, with a possible stop at Carlsbad Caverns. Then on to Arizona, where if they are lucky, they might get to see some real Indians as Dave said. Come to think of it, they went through North Carolina Cherokee country and there I think Bill said they met some real Cherokee Indians. Then it will be on to California where they will spend a number days there, sightseeing and meeting with friends. After that, it is a long, about 13 hour flight or so back home.

I will tell you, that over the nearly 50 years of living in San Antonio, and hosting members of the Six Meter International Radio Klub (SMIRK), from across the US and the world, and getting to show some of our Squarebirds Forum members around, this will be a visit that I have thoroughly enjoyed and will fondly remember for the rest of my life. Bill, Deb, and friends are fantastic people and I so greatly enjoyed them being able to adjust their schedule this trip to include me. It is always a wonderful thing to be able to establish personal friendships face to face. I would wholeheartedly urge ya'll to establish personal, face to face relationships with those you often stay in contact with on the Forum. Just as Leonard Wheeler ~ Yellowbird and Tom Taylor ~scumdog of New Zealand have done for some years now. You will have fabulous memories of those times spent together, from across the world. Before they left, Bill and Andy wanted to visit Rose, so we drove out to my house, opened up the garage and showed her off. Here is a picture that Bill took of me standing by her. I shudda thought to ask Andy to take a picture of Bill and I, but did not think of it.

Safe travels, Bill and all!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by YellowRose; May 13, 2018, 07:51 AM. Reason: Additional comments

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• Penelope
              Super-Experienced
              • Mar 4 2008

Our thanks

Let me start by saying that Ray has always impressed me with the way he selflessly helps everyone. It was no different on our visit to San Antonio, which is the most beautiful city we have visited yet on this trip. Ray gave us two full days of his expertise and friendship. Something we will remember always and treasure. Thank you so much 😊
              sigpicBill
              Thunderbird Registry 21903 & 33405

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

I was surprised to see that Bill had posted! I did not expect to see anything posted by him til he got back home! They will have a ton of stuff to talk about when they get back home. Especially regarding their riverboat ride with Capt. Juan the last evening! Bill, tell Deb that I also sent a very complimentary email to Go Rio Boat Company regarding the expertise of their fabulous Boat Captain Juan! Maybe they will promote him to Admiral of the Boat Fleet after that. I found out they have 23 new electric boats now and when the rest of them are finished and ready for operation, there will be 44 boats. You can buy one of the old boats for $23K each they said....

Comment

• Penelope
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Mar 4 2008

As a final chapter to this story, we are now home and , sadly, back at work after a full 6 weeks of coast to coast USA. What a trip! From the solemn monument that is Ground Zero to the fabulous time we spent with Ray in San Antonio, we had a blast. A casual evening dinner in San Diego turned into an international appreciation meeting with some of So-Cal's famous low-riders.

No matter where you are the language of "gearhead" is recognised and understood and as Ray said, the opportunity to meet and greet other forum members should be jumped on whenever you get the opportunity.

As a footnote, I also fell in love with a 1947 Dodge Milk Truck in the middle of the Arizona desert. It's going to follow me home in a shipping container....more on that later!

Thank you again Ray!
                  sigpicBill

Comment

• stubbie
                    Experienced
                    • Jul 7 2011

Hope there is no asbestos in your milk truck Bill? The customs people are red hot on that at the moment. I've heard some stories of Mustangs being stripped at the importers cost to check.

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                      Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Bill glad to see that you are back home safely and enjoyed your trip.The 47 Milk Truck is a classic especially the size of the front grille and the old headlights on the front fenders

No matter where you are the language of "gearhead" is recognised and understood and as Ray said, the opportunity to meet and greet other forum members should be jumped on whenever you get the opportunity.

"Gearhead" is a universal word that bonds all of us and as with you have met some very wonderful people over the years.
                      Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                      Thunderbird Registry
                      58HT #33317
                      60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Penelope
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Mar 4 2008

Cheers Dan, here are some photo's of it.

Phil, all clear on the asbestos front, brakes are new and there is no other asbestos in the vehicle, and i have a clearance certificate .
                        Attached Files
                        sigpicBill

Comment

• bird 60
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Mar 18 2009

Welcome back Bill & Debbie. I see that you both had a wonderful time.
                          Also congratulations on your new purchase. How long before you fix-er up & start making your Milk Rounds. If the population grows fast in W.A. we'll know the reason why.

Chris.....From OZ.

Comment

• Penelope
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Mar 4 2008

Ha ha cheers Chris and thanks for the welcome back. She should arrive in OZ around November(ish) . We will get her ready for rego first, then proceed with modifications with air bags, engines etc...
                            sigpicBill

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎