X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ncbird
    Experienced
    • Jan 5 2008

Squarebird kit car

Well the weather is warming up..so I brought the bird home so I could start the reassembly process.

The car was disassembled by the shop that did the body and paint work. All the panels. doors etc were removed painted individually, sanded, buffed and now installed..some with rough adjustments.

This will be my kit car since I now have boxes of parts, bags of bolts and screws..mostly labeled and all needing to be installed.
    The first challenge is the top. I am going to sand and repaint the frame as well as replace all the tack strips, rubber and then get it back in the car.

I had a good ole boy stop by that was visiting a neighbor and wanted to know if I was going to race it...

since it had a "roll bar" in it. I decided to just humor him and told him yes it was for a NASCAR seniors class (over 60 here)...heres your sign...the 2x4 frame actually keeps the car cover from sagging and holding water until I get the top frame back in place. Any way this is my Squarebird Kit car.. I am probably going to be asking for help when I get to certain parts and will photograph the process...
    Just some thoughts from under my shade tree. Grant
    Grant
    NCbird on the Coast of NC
    "Dads Bird" for my father
  • Dakota Boy
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 30 2009

well you can bet you wont be just "sittin' around with nothing to do" for the next year or two or three....

How does it look underneath? Is there a motor in that car?
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
      Experienced
      • Jun 2 2010

I can identify...mine is being painted right now and should be back together in the fall providing the money keeps flowing.
      "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

Comment

Hey Grant,
        She looks great! Keep us posted!!!
        Richard D. Hord

Comment

• ncbird
          Experienced
          • Jan 5 2008

miles to go

To answer Dakota Boy the engine and trans are completely done and back in the car. The suspension is all new including springs front and rear. The brakes are all new including new MC, booster, wheel cyl, shoes and drums..and that will change since I now want to go to 4 wheel discs. The top is my real challenge.. I havent seen much on how to refurb one so I am in new territory. I will try to document it as I go. Grant
          Grant
          NCbird on the Coast of NC
          "Dads Bird" for my father

Comment

• mt59bird
            Apprentice
            • Feb 10 2011

Originally posted by ncbird
            ...heres your sign...
            Now that's funny! I've had reason to hand those out in the past...

The car looks great. Did you build a lot of models as a kid? This may be more of a 'snap-tight' kit as no glue is required.

Have fun with it. I hope you can work on it inside.

Later,

Mike
            E PLURIBUS UNUM; In GOD We Trust; Liberty

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎