Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, any helpful sites on going from Gen to Alt?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am pretty sure my generator died, it wasn't doing the job anyway...

I have a mount ordered to mount the alternator, but I know nothing about what it takes to convert over to an alternator. I looked around some on the internet. Didn't really find anything I liked.

Thanks
    B
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: So, any helpful sites on going from Gen to Alt?

There are a lot of posts about this on this site. Do a search for "alternator." Include the archived files. There are brackets that are sold for this conversion.

If you want the look of an generator with the workings of an alternator, Powergen makes such a device: http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/powergen.html

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

Alexander

is this what you have used ? Does it hook right up on the same gen bracket ?

Comment

• Alexander
        Webmaster
        • Oct 30 2002

RE: Alexander

I have not used it, but when when my generator goes, I plan to try it. It is the same dimensions as the genrator, so mounting it should be no problem.

Alexander
        1959 Hardtop
        1960 Golde Top
        Alexander
        1959 Hard Top
        1960 Golde Top
        sigpic

Comment

I converted to an alternator and I can tell you that I ran into a problem with the aftermarket bracket. I bought the proper bracket, but the not converversation kit, so I had to fabricate a back support. There is one company that sells a true conversation kit.

The bracket alone won't do the trick, unless you have a block newer than 63, I think. If I wouldn't seen the Powergen sooner, I may have tried that route all the benefits of the alternator but the cool old look of the original.

Hope this helps
          Marc

Comment

• Alexander
            Webmaster
            • Oct 30 2002

It is cool, and you no longer need to worry about that electromechanical voltage regulator.

Alexander
            1959 Hardtop
            1960 Golde Top
            Alexander
            1959 Hard Top
            1960 Golde Top
            sigpic

Comment

• tarps3
              Super-Experienced
              • Jul 21 2003

so what do you do with the old regulator? do you bypass it somehow or is it still hooked up thru the system?
              Casey

Comment

• Alexander
                Webmaster
                • Oct 30 2002

The regulator is essentally bypassed. The hard part with a one-wire alternator is that you need to wire in the generator indicator
                light and a resistor. If you do not have this, the indicator light won't work and worse the alternator will not charge until you first hit about 1100 rpm. Auto Restorer magazine ran an article on this a couple of years back. I assume the Powergen alternators come with instructions for the conversion.

Alexander
                1959 Hardtop
                1960 Golde Top
                Alexander
                1959 Hard Top
                1960 Golde Top
                sigpic

Comment

• ramos291
                  Apprentice
                  • Sep 18 2014

If it were you. I have ordered a re manufactured Gen. Mainly because I don't know the condition of the current one. I do have to put the charger on the battery at times and experience dim lights as well as dimming lights when using turn signals or other electrical systems. Before I put this new Gen on what would you do. Send it back and convert to alternator? Im not worried about keeping her factory but I am also not sure what Alt to get for the 61 tbird.

Comment

• jopizz
                    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

If you are not concerned with originality then an alternator is the way to go. Does you car have any power options like windows, seats, A/C. If not then a standard Ford 1G alternator 65 amps will work just fine. You can get them just about anywhere for $40-45. Add another $25 for a voltage regulator. The wiring is fairly easy. The mounting brackets are pretty easy to find. If you have power options then a 100 amp alternator would be better. Any alternator is better than a generator in my opinion unless you have a show car that's not going to be driven.

John
                    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• ramos291
                      Apprentice
                      • Sep 18 2014

no i am not concerned with factory look. My car does have power windows, seats, A/C and new radio. Also my voltage reg is new not that it matters. my concern is with what Alt and bracket to get from like Summit or other places. I think this is going to be a trial and error thing with both.

Comment

• YellowRose
                        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Randy, have you thought to look in the Technical Resource Library (TRL)? There is a lot of information there regarding troubleshooting generators, or alternators, 3 Wire vs 1 Wire Alternators and why 3 Wire is better. Converting a gen to an alt, like the PowerGen. This information can be found in the TRL under the Engine section. Going with a 1 Wire might be an easy way to go, except that you will have to wire up your gen light to make it work. Since you have a lot of power options, something in the order of 100+ amps with a built in VR, as John says, is the way to go. There is also info there on where to find mounting brackets if you need to replace yours. Check out the Generator to Alternator link for some good info on what to look for in a Ford 3G alt. The link to the TRL is always right below the signature element for myself and jopizz, making it easy to find.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• jopizz
                          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

With those options a generator is not going to give you the power you need. Does your block have the hole drilled for an alternator. It should be on the passenger side front of the block above the generator bracket. If so the standard FE alternator bracket set will work. If not you will have to use the C.R.A.P. brackets or fabricate your own. Your generator voltage regulator will not work with an alternator. It is trial and error but the parts and wiring diagrams are easy to find. As Ray mentioned look in the TRL for information.

John

Comment

• StealthSRT10
                            Experienced
                            • Jun 7 2017

So just want to check before i go cutting and buying things.

I have a 1965 f100 352 in my bird. i have the generator hooked up now. i am wanting to switch to the alternator to fun my electric fan. i have everything all brackets and such. Do i just need to buy a new voltage regulator and i can use all existing wiring?
                            1959 Thunderbird 397ci
                            Cruise-O-Matic
                            Flamingo Pink.
                            Thunderbird Registry #8442
                            Daily driver

Comment

• jopizz
                              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I recommend you get at least a 100 amp alternator to run your fan. You will not be able to reuse your existing wiring. It's not heavy enough. You have two choices. Get an internally regulated alternator and ditch the voltage regulator or stay with the alternator/regulator setup. I recommend going to the internally regulated three wire alternator. It's much easier to hook up. You only need a 6-8 gauge wire with a fuse from the alternator to the solenoid and hook up a wire for the GEN light on the dash. You can use the existing wiring for that.

John

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎