View Single Post
Old 07-01-2014, 11:28 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Retrobird Coil Problems

Hi Alan, and thanks for the comments. Yes, it was the ECM that was referred to. So it looks like Carbone is the only company that you can get them from. I thought there might be more by now, but apparently not. I have not seen this subject addressed yet in the Scoop, but perhaps it has not come out yet. I just looked through my July/August issue and did not see it in there.

Regarding the coil problem, from what I was told by one of my club members, it was no big deal to replace each one of them. Except that one of them was hard to get to in replacing it. Another of my local club members has an engine analyzer in his garage, and when his 2005 Bird started missing, he ran his analyzer on his engine and it brought up a PCO 03 code he said, followed by a 01 code. He said that told him that his coils had a problem and it was the #1 coil. So he switched it with the #3 coil and the problem on #1 went away, but now the analyzer was showing a problem with the #3 coil. So he took his Tbird into the Ford dealership and they replaced all the coils and plugs under the warranty program, at no cost to him, as discussed in the post below.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm