Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KIRK!
    • Aug 6 2012

NEW GUY With a '58

Greetings! I'm Kirk, along time classic car fanatic/owner, but first time T-Bird owner. I'm the Editor for the Goodguys Gazette so I'm around old cars for a living and have had more than I'd like to count. I just sold my last project and it was time for a family friendly ride. I kept digging around and kept coming back, as always, to a Ford. I have had LOTS of early '60s Fords, from '60 Starliner (May Cause Dangerous) to a '64 Galaxie convertible (my first car), but only one '50s Ford, a '57 sedan and a '47 coupe. I wanted something that would hold the three of us, that was presentable, but not so nice that I was afraid to drive it. I looked at several Galaxies, Falcons and T-Birds over the past month or so. None of them lived up to their descriptions, unfortunately.

This '58 T-Bird was on eBay. The guy listed his number so I called. It ended up being the builder who was selling it for the owner. The owner had it built as a driver for his 14-year-old son. His son ended up not wanting it and wants a vintage MG or Austin-Healey instead (still good taste). I talked with the owner too and both seemed honest so I bought a plane ticket to Portland, Oregon to check it out and hopefully drive it home.

The owner picked me up in it at the airport and we headed out for the test drive. It drove great and pretty much met the description. New paint that was even nicer than described, new 352 with 390 heads, new interior bits like seat covers, headliner, carpet and door panels (the rest will clean up nicely). Sold!

We went to his house to do the paperwork and meet his son. We finished up and I headed for home.

She drove great, with just a couple minor issues on the way home, like vapor locking in the 95-degree heat climbing the mountains. The trans also doesn't kick down and won't manually go into L, but those should just be linkage adjustments. The vapor lock issue should be an easy fix with an electric pump and fuel line reroute. Oil is also spitting out of the breather.

I stopped to help out another rodder just south of Redding on Sunday morning. I saw him on the northbound side with his hood and trunk up. I turned around at the next exit and pulled over to see what I could do. After about an hour he was back on the road. What was cool was that he and his wife had flown to San Jose to buy the car and were driving home to Vancouver, Washington.

Plans? For now I just plan on 15" Supremes, skinny whites, front disc brakes and lower the front 2". I'll replace the little chrome bits here and there that the PO didn't do.

A few pics rom this morning in front of my work. Still bug carnage everywhere!

Last edited by KIRK!; August 6, 2012, 02:45 PM.
  • newbird59
    Experienced
    • Dec 27 2011

Kirk,

Welcome! That's a really great story about how you got your first tbird!! Your 352 looks SUPER clean. I am in the process to making mine look like yours. There are really cool people on here willing to help out with your bird (if you have questions or need parts).

I was looking at cars a lot before I settled on my 1960 thunderbird. I was going to buy a new car (I got a promotion at work) and thought that I would go to a dealership and buy something "fun". I thought about it for a long time and then thought..."why not build something?" So here I am. I'm not as experienced as you with older cars but the community will love your knowledge on this site.

p.s. I'm a Napa guy. I see you are close in Concord.

-David
    1960 Thunderbird
    429 TJ
    C6 Tranny
    Under Construction

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Congrats. Looks like beauty. Was the car originally white. The only reason I ask is that the engine compartment is painted black. It should match the body color. Other than that someone did a real nice job detailing it. I notice the oil fill cap on the valve cover which is non-original. It should be on the intake manifold so I assume that was replaced with aftermarket aluminum one? That's not a bad thing just not original.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Welcome to Squarebirds, Kirk. It's always great to see another restorer climb aboard. I hope you post often. We'd love to hear your experiences. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• KIRK!
          • Aug 6 2012

Originally posted by jopizz
          Congrats. Looks like beauty. Was the car originally white. The only reason I ask is that the engine compartment is painted black. It should match the body color. Other than that someone did a real nice job detailing it. I notice the oil fill cap on the valve cover which is non-original. It should be on the intake manifold so I assume that was replaced with aftermarket aluminum one? That's not a bad thing just not original.

John
          Good eye. Yes, apparently it was a special order with Colonial White. I wish the engine bay had been kept whit, but it's not a huge deal.

The stock intake manifold was cracked and thus replaced with an Edelbrock that was painted to look factory. The oil filler was of course added to the stock covers.

Color code on the tag is "H" I believe.

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Color code H would be Gunmetal Gray. If it was originally white it should either be code B for Winterset white or E for colonial white. They changed to colonial white about midway through the year.

John
            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• DKheld
              Super-Experienced
              • Aug 27 2008

Nice looking car. X2 on Dave's comments - hope to hear more from you. Cool story on helping a fellow car enthusiast and then have it turn out to be someone else who just bought his classic.....

About the only thing I can add is that the '58 is unique on the front suspension. From what I remember - it should have dual shocks and the brake hoses are different than the 59 & 60. Could be fun with the disc conversion.

Speaking of brakes.....I converted mine to front disc's years ago using Granada spindles. They are supposed to lower the car 3/4 to 1 inch but I didn't notice any difference. Scarebird now makes a bracket and you keep your original spindle. Easier to have it aligned with the original spindle but would not lower it as you mentioned you might like to do. Could be that in Cali. you won't have much trouble finding alignment shops that can wing it with different spindles though?

I noticed your brake master cyl is on the firewall with no booster. Looking at the brake pedal (swift sure power brakes) I'm guessing you have the Kelsy Hayes booster under the dash. There is a loooooong thread on converting to disc's that is sure to give you some ideas. Pretty sure the pics of my conversion are still there but if not just let me know and I can re-post although mine is a 1960. Search on disc brakes in the 58-60 forum.

The 352 had a road draft tube on the intake so you may need to add a PCV type system to keep the inside of the engine happy and not spit oil and vapor out the breather.

Good luck on the projects.
              Eric

Comment

• KIRK!
                • Aug 6 2012

Originally posted by jopizz
                Color code H would be Gunmetal Gray. If it was originally white it should either be code B for Winterset white or E for colonial white. They changed to colonial white about midway through the year.

John
                Just checked, it's E.

Comment

• RustyNCa
                  Super-Experienced
                  • May 31 2007

Originally posted by DKheld
                  Nice looking car.

About the only thing I can add is that the '58 is unique on the front suspension. From what I remember - it should have dual shocks and the brake hoses are different than the 59 & 60. Could be fun with the disc conversion.

The 352 had a road draft tube on the intake so you may need to add a PCV type system to keep the inside of the engine happy and not spit oil and vapor out the breather.

Good luck on the projects.
                  Eric
                  When you stopped in Redding, sounds like you were just a few miles from my little bird ranch

Yes, the 58 arms have an option of dual shocks or to run one shock in either locale. On our 58 we are running just one kyb shock on it. We managed to convert to disc brakes on the stock spindles, keep the factory sway bar mount and lower the car more the 2" without to much trouble, but our 13.5" rotors won't allow you to run anything less than 17" rims on the car.

I agree about the need for a PCV valve to deal with oil vapor, seems like I had to add one on ours because of the edelbrock intake. Can't remember to well now, our poor old 58 has been sitting dormant for a few years now.

Cheers
                  RustyNCA

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                    Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Kirk glad to see another 58 survivor and of course I am partial, as my wife's 58 is also colonial white. You will no doubt have lots of fun cruisin in your TBird and getting the chrome stuff replaced is not a biggy Welcome to the best site on the planet,,,
                    Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                    Thunderbird Registry
                    58HT #33317
                    60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• tbird430
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jun 18 2007

Congrat's on the "new" purchase Kirk!!

'58s are a rare year, they are the only ones with the coil spring rear suspension system too....

-Jon in TX.
                      sigpic
                      The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• RustyNCa
                        Super-Experienced
                        • May 31 2007

Originally posted by tbird430
                        Congrat's on the "new" purchase Kirk!!

'58s are a rare year, they are the only ones with the coil spring rear suspension system too....

-Jon in TX.

Which is really cool, but also a curse (sorry was talking about the coil spring rear end)......There is more to the rear end difference than just coils, it also has a kind of four link truck arm type of deal going on under there.

I have offered our other two squarebirds up for sale, had people come out and look at them, and they all want to buy the 58.....

But I am very loyal to the 58, it was my first tbird in the group, I love the grill and in a way, my dad gave it to me....

Cheers
                        RustyNCA
                        Last edited by RustyNCa; August 6, 2012, 05:29 PM.

Comment

• KIRK!
                          • Aug 6 2012

Yes, PCV setup is a must.

Dual shocks?!?! Wow, I'll have to get under and look. I was just about to order new shocks. KYB Excel-Gs to be exact. Would a single pair be fine with the cut coils?

Comment

• RustyNCa
                            Super-Experienced
                            • May 31 2007

Originally posted by KIRK!
                            Yes, PCV setup is a must.

Dual shocks?!?! Wow, I'll have to get under and look. I was just about to order new shocks. KYB Excel-Gs to be exact. Would a single pair be fine with the cut coils?
                            Well, we are running a single pair of GR2s up front with cut coils, and the better KYB gas adjusts in the back. I don't normally buy the GR2s, can't remember why I went with them, but I wouldn't choose them again. They are softer and the cheapest shocks from KYB.

I would run the higher level shocks that KYB makes if I did it over.

We ran the shock in the aft location, that was what was on the car when I started. I didn't even notice the dual option till I had about finished rebuilding the whole front end.

Basically you can run both, or run the aft location like I am, or run the shock inside the spring like a typical lower/upper a arm setup.

I don't remember know how much I cut from the springs up front. But, I never cut off more than one coil to start.

Here is the car after I rebuilt the front end but before I cut the spings(you can see why I cut them).

Here is the location of the GR2s and the Willwood brakes we ran.

And here is sadly the best photo I have taken of her yet. Lowered and sitting on 17" Mustang Wheels.

Comment

• YellowRose
                              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

NEW GUY With a '58

Hi Kirk! Great story and great looking Tbird! I enjoyed reading about how you got her and her condition. She looks really good and thanks for posting the pix. If you need additional information or help with your '58, check out the Technical Resource Library (TRL) which is always a part of my signature element.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎