Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ancientbird58
    • Sep 29 2015

Engine will run but dies at Idle

OK.......So I rebuild the carb......New fuel pump.......new gas tank..........start the car and it runs with the accelerator pushed in. It revs up nice..........but I take my foot off the accelerator and it flat dies. Even with the car warm and choke open............runs great.........dies when I let my foot off the pedal. Im hoping I did not get a "new" bummed out fuel pump...........any suggestions are welcomed
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

You could have a vacuum leak. I would check the vacuum advance in the distributor. Other places where you could have a vacuum leak are the windshield wipers, power brake hose or carburetor base gaskets. Did you adjust the idle mixture screws after you rebuilt the carburetor. Do you have the fast idle and curb idle screws adjusted correctly.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• ancientbird58
      • Sep 29 2015

After tinkering with the idle adjustment screws I could at least keep it running.........I think its just a case of letting the cob webs blown out. I checked for leaks........found none. After letting it run for about 45 minutes it got better and better. It kind of dies down when I put it in gear. I did take it for a quick spin around the block..........jeez I forgot how low to the ground you are........LOL.............It accelerated fine.......cut off once at a stop sign. Are there any vacume tubes to the trans????

Comment

• ancientbird58
        • Sep 29 2015

I have a shop manual that has all the carb settings in it. Tomorrow when I have some better light I will do that. Im going to go ahead and replace the vacuum advance just for piece of mind. I think it may be the original one. Im sure the plugs need to be cleaned as well. Its been 5 years since its been on the road.

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by ancientbird58
          Are there any vacume tubes to the trans????
          There are no vacuum hoses to your COM transmission assuming that it's the original.

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• ancientbird58
            • Sep 29 2015

Thanks.......didnt think it did. Car fired up this morning and idled smooth.........but *&%*^$ !!! ........ran out of gas......

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎