X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JamesBorisPerez
    Apprentice
    • Mar 5 2014

Power Steering Control Valve Leak

One of the hoses that go from the control valve to the cylinder bursted and I replaced it. I noticed that fluid is leaking from the ball joint of the control valve. I have the Ford technical bulletin and a service manual. I'm just wondering:

1) Is the ball joint under fluid pressure during normal operation.

2) What's the best way to proceed

I'm thinking of going through the basic removal process just to get familiar with removal and replacement.

I did see there is a site that re-builds these units or I can try myself.

Any assistance would be appreciated, I bought this car in Jan of 2014, my third t-bird, first two were 1964's
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

If you see fluid coming from the ball stud then it's leaking from the spool seals. You can rebuild it yourself but I've done mine twice in the last three years and it still leaks. I just sent mine here to be rebuilt. It comes with a one year warranty and costs around $90.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• JamesBorisPerez
      Apprentice
      • Mar 5 2014

Thank you, I'm going to give re-building the ball joint seals a try before sending it out to re-build. I prefer the first option since my car won't be out of commission. Thank You.

Comment

• JamesBorisPerez
        Apprentice
        • Mar 5 2014

Decided to remove the control valve, took me about 5 hours to remove the ball stud, could not believe it, tried heat, then a ball joint removal tool, then a heavy duty one, that did the job. Tried rebuilding it, the cost was about $50.00, still leaked. Ordered a rebuilt one from Larry's, got it yesterday, going to put in tomorrow. I think I'm getting good at this.

Comment

• JamesBorisPerez
          Apprentice
          • Mar 5 2014

Took the new Control Valve out the box, looked exactly the same, installed and when I went to install the lines that go from the valve to the cylinder the fitting of the lines were too big, ****!!!!, Yes I know, should of checked it. I'm going to keep the valve, drain the fluid and remove the pump belt, then I"m on a mission to get the right lines!!

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Did you specify when you ordered it that the valve was for a '60. 58-59 valves have different size fittings. You should have metal lines, not rubber.

John

Comment

• JamesBorisPerez
              Apprentice
              • Mar 5 2014

Yes, the first problem was one of the hoses from the control valve to the cylinder ruptured. Both of these hoses were rubber. I bought two replacement stainless steel hoses and they fit fine. The car is very stock, so I did specify 1960 control valve from Larry's. Now I have to figure out if someone sells a hose with one fitting that will fit the re-built control valve and the other end to fit the existing cylinder.

Comment

• davidmij
                Super-Experienced
                • Jan 17 2011

I think I got my replacement hoses from Rockauto.com. Way better price, and fit perfectly. You might try them and get the one that fits a 59.

Dave

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I don't believe RockAuto sells the hoses from the control valve to the cylinder. They just have the hoses from the pump to the valve.

John

Comment

• jopizz
                    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by JamesBorisPerez
                    Yes, the first problem was one of the hoses from the control valve to the cylinder ruptured. Both of these hoses were rubber. I bought two replacement stainless steel hoses and they fit fine. The car is very stock, so I did specify 1960 control valve from Larry's. Now I have to figure out if someone sells a hose with one fitting that will fit the re-built control valve and the other end to fit the existing cylinder.
                    The hoses you have are probably 5/16". You need 1/4" if the fittings are too large. Normally the valve and the cylinder will match. There were cylinders that were 1/4" in 1960 to match the control valve. I've never seen hoses sold that were 1/4 on one end and 5/16 on the other. I would call Larry's and ask. If you go to your local home center store you may be able to find 1/4 to 5/16 flare adapters. Do you still have your old valve. The seats are removable. You may be able to swap them over.

John

Comment

• JamesBorisPerez
                      Apprentice
                      • Mar 5 2014

Thank you both, I've checked out Rockauto, but haven't purchased from them yet. I think I want to keep the inserts as is, I'll call Larry's Monday to verify exactly what size the outlet is, push comes to shove, there's a place called Royal Brass in San Jose, near my work where they will make the hose, the only thing is that these hoses seem to be bent and lengthen exactly.

Comment

• davidmij
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Jan 17 2011

I just checked my receipts John and you are correct. I ordered the hose from Mac's Antique auto parts. Here were my part numbers from my receipt.

Shop 100,000 Parts
                        & Accessories for Fords
                        800-828-1051 MAC's Antique Auto Parts
                        Order Confirmation Email
                        Order Date: 10/2/2013

MAC's Auto Parts is now part of Eckler's Automotive Group. Your invoice will appear as a charge to Eckler's on your billing statement.

Shipping Address:
                        david jones
                        113 bandelier ave
                        los alamos NM 87544
                        USA
                        Phone: 5056723071 Order Detail:

Part# Unit PriceQuantityLine TotalCV-8640Ford Thunderbird Power Steering Control Valve To Power Cylinder Line - 1/4" Fittings
                        $25.952$51.90B6A-12297-STFord Thunderbird Spark Plug Wire Separator Set - 2 Comb-Shaped - 2 That Clip on Valve Covers
                        $7.951$7.95 Item Subtotal:$59.85Shipping:$10.99Order Total:$70.84
                        Vehicle Information:
                        Year: 1959
                        Make: FORD
                        Model: T-BIRD
                        Body Style: 2 DR HT

If you have any questions, or need to make any changes to your order,
                        please contact our Customer Service department at 800-828-1051 or email us at:
                        customerservice@macsauto.com

For a status check on items, please allow at least 24 hours after your order has been placed to ensure that our system has been updated.
                        Thank You For Your Order!

Antique Auto Parts
                        Serving The Ford Restorer Since 1978
                        Questions or Comments?
                        Email MAC's at customerservice@macsauto.com

6150 Donner Road, Lockport, NY 14094
                        800-828-1051 (toll free)
                        716-210-1340 (local & international)
                        716-210-1370 (fax)

Comment

• JamesBorisPerez
                          Apprentice
                          • Mar 5 2014

I Called Larry's yesterday and sure enough, I ordered a 1960 Valve but they gave me one for a 1958/59. They also said they don't have any 1960 on the shelf and asked that I return the one they sent and my old one, they would in turn rebuild my old one and send it back to me. I'm just going to return the wrong item once they send me a pre-paid shipping label. It's fine, I really like this car and enjoy working on it.

Comment

• JamesBorisPerez
                            Apprentice
                            • Mar 5 2014

I returned the Control Valve to Larry's for a refund. But I did find a place in San Jose, CA near my work that rebuilds these, it's called Power Steering and Brake Exchange. They rebuilt my valve for $150.00 out the door, I'm going to have them rebuild my brake booster next. One thing, when I installed the valve and put everything together, the wheel went straight to the left? I'm thinking it may be the spring adjustment on the valve?, but I'll check out the forum for answers, Thank You.

Comment

• JamesBorisPerez
                              Apprentice
                              • Mar 5 2014

I took the cap off to expose the adjusting nut on the power steering control valve, I tightened snug, then backed it off 1/4 turn. I tested without placing the cap back on and everything was fine. I put the cap on and the steering pulled to the right, apparently the re-build was not done right. I put a temp. spacer and it's fine. I still have a small leak but I don't think it's coming from the control valve. I'm thinking of getting one of those UV leak detectors. Next step for me is getting the Brake Booster rebuilt, then its on to the wipers and rear axle bearings.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎