No announcement yet.

Radiator interchange

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radiator interchange

I am in the process of changing my old deteriorated radiator and have read about all the preveous posts on this subject. I know that Griffin makes an exact replacement but they are too pricy for me. I don't want to spend $500 for a replacement or do a recore job of a stock radiator that was so inefficient to start with. I read in one of the posts that a 81 tbird radiator will work. I need specifics as to what needs to be done for this replacement. If this era tbird radiator will work then a 1980-88 tbird and a 1980-92 mustang radiator will work since they are all the same. All aluminum 2 row aftermarket radiators for these year mustangs are plentiful. The costs are about 140-180 price range. I need to know if any of you members have done this swap. If so I need details. I have measured the old one and from the looks of it there is a lot of room for another close in size radiator to fit. I don't want to do any cutting of the subframe or support brackets.

I am also upgrading the brake system to disc brakes on the front so putting an aftermarket all aluminum radiator is not a problem. I don't want to modify my bird so much that it can not be put back to origional in the future. I will keep the old radiator and all the other origional parts so if someone after me could conceivably put it back to origional condition .

Thanks , Gary
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Originally posted by 1946hamm
    I am in the process of changing my old deteriorated radiator ...
    Gary, this might not be the answer you want, but HOW is your old radiator deteriorated? And, why would you consider changing from brass/copper to an aluminum, which transfers heat with much more resistance?

The only reason we use aluminum is for cost savings not efficiency. If you are looking for a serious cooler, recondition your brass radiator. It may only need lime and calcium removal to open each core. Phosphoric acid does that nicely, especially when heated. I gotta believe, when your car was new, you probably could have treked across the Mojave.

Mustang radiators (with aluminum core and plastic sides) are cheaper, if that's what you want. I have thrown two away so far. I still use the 'desert cooler' my '55 came with (on a 351W), and the original rad my '59 Galaxie came with (with a 292 Y-Block).

Most radiator shops will flow test your radiator for free. Bring it bare. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• protourbird
      Experienced
      • Apr 29 2008

According to the Hollander Interchange you are stuck with the 58-60 T-Bird radiator if you want an exact fit. This is not to say that other models can't be made to fit but there is no listed interchange.
      sigpic
      Jim

protourbird

Comment

Radiator recored

I finally found an old time radiator shop that repairs radiators in Indianapolis. Most of the ones have closed or quit repairing radiators since about all the new radiators are basically throwaways. Took mine to him last week. He checked it out and said the core was shot. Needed a recore.
        I picked it up today and it is like a new one. Recore was $270.00 plus 7% Indiana sales tax. I don't think that is a bad price at all.
        Got a 6 blade fan and am looking for a shroud or might fabricate one. I'll post the results for the shroud later.
        Have a good day, Gary

Comment

• DKheld
          Super-Experienced
          • Aug 27 2008

Gary,

Sounds like you have the same style in resto-mod as I do - no cutting and can be put back to original if someone wants to (of course these days there are alot of shops that can cut 6 cars and make one good original).

Anyway thanks for posting your recore price - gives us a good idea of what to expect when we go to the shop for the same work.

What disc kit are you planning on using? Just curious - I did the Granada conversion on mine.

Eric
          registry 5347

Comment

Eric. The disc brake conversion is the one in the Disc Brake Discussion thread and linked to the Gary Hamm technical post. Thanks to Ray.

I am going to try and use a Northern fan shroud kit. Here is a couple pictures of one installed. I hope I can make mine look this good.

I ordered kit Northern Z40035 from ebay.
            It measures 24 1/4" wide and 18 1/2" tall and 2 5/8" deep.
            That is real close to the core size of my stock radiator. I will take pictures of the project and post them on the forum or send them to Ray and let him do it if he will. He is so helpful to all of us.
            Gary
            Registry #33728

Originally posted by DKheld
            Gary,

Sounds like you have the same style in resto-mod as I do - no cutting and can be put back to original if someone wants to (of course these days there are alot of shops that can cut 6 cars and make one good original).

Anyway thanks for posting your recore price - gives us a good idea of what to expect when we go to the shop for the same work.

What disc kit are you planning on using? Just curious - I did the Granada conversion on mine.

Eric
            registry 5347

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Radiator interchange

Hi Gary,

I would be glad to make a web page for this and put it on the Technical webpage. That is a nice looking fan shoud!

Thank you, simplyconnected, for holding the fort down while I was away visiting family members for the past several days. Much apppreciated.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
              Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Ray welcome back.
                Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                Thunderbird Registry
                58HT #33317
                60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• protourbird
                  Experienced
                  • Apr 29 2008

Here is a picture of the Griffin direct replacement in my 60 Sq Bird
                  Attached Files
                  sigpic
                  Jim

protourbird

Comment

• byersmtrco
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Sep 28 2004

I had San Jose Radiator build me a 4 row. Yes 4 row cores are available, then they just re-use your side tanks.
                    The core is slightly wider.
                    I run that, the 7 blade flex and the Dearborn Classics f/shroud.
                    I have been stuck in traffic on a 95 deg day , and the guage NEVER went past the middle (195-200 in mine) Normally, my car runs btwn a buck 60 and a buck 80 all the time. Idling . . . Freeway . . . whatever.

I want to say the radiator cost me $250.

I will at some point find a metal Galaxie or Mercury shroud and install a metal OE fan (7 blade-non clutch) for a slightly more orig look.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎