• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • byersmtrco
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 28 2004

Latest TBird Caper

So, about a month ago I changed all my under hood fuel lines
    (I know !!!! I should be running hard line) The fuel filter weighed a ton) It's a wonder it ran.
    So, I installed one of those glass jobs with the removable fltr element.

Right away I noticed little floaters in there.
    So the next day I'm driving and it just quit on me.
    That filter was plugged solid. Looked like old coffee grounds.
    I can only imagine what the inside of the tank looks like. I put a tank in it
    for my dad years (decades) ago.
    A new one from TBHQ is about $250 (Not Bad)
    So that's the next thing I guess. I need to keep it in good running order as it's the "extra" car now. No 94 S-10 as aback up veh. (Sold it - shouldn't have)

Then get the top working . . . The list continues

Just don't have time or $$$$ for it right now.
    Last edited by byersmtrco; October 11, 2017, 03:25 PM. Reason: fat fingers
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by byersmtrco
    A new one from TBHQ is about $250 (Not Bad)
    You can get the same tank from Rockauto.com for about $178 and we get a 5% discount.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Latest TBird Caper

I see that jopizz posted the exact thing I was about to regarding gas tanks that Rock Auto sells the same tanks at a cheaper price... All the parts houses get their gas tanks from the same company, Spectra, in Canada, the only company I know of who makes them for our ole Tbirds. Keep in mind that many of the parts we need for these Tbirds of ours can often be found on Rock Auto, also, and, as John said, we get a 5% discount from them. Something over the years that I have tried to get our dedicated Tbird parts houses to provide us with, but they have refused to do so.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Tbird1044
        Super-Experienced
        • Jul 31 2012

This is just a heads up....
        I bought one of the Canadian new tanks and it was about 2 years before I got to installing it and actually putting fuel in it. I had the tank installed, but didn't want fuel sitting in while I was working on the car, so I used a small boat tank to move the car around. Finally got things to the point where I could put fuel in the tank, and when I did, there was a drip from where the fuel fitting connects to the tank. I checked everything and found that it was the weld where the tank was leaking. Since I had the tank for several years, I had to eat it, and ended up taking it to a radiator shop to have the tank cleaned and repaired. Cost me another $70 to do that. Bottom line is verify, verify, verify, and it may pay to do a low pressure soap test on the tank prior to installing. Mine could have been the one in a thousand, but I got it!
        As I said, just a heads up. If there is a leak, it is a lot easier to repair PRIOR to putting gas in the tank.
        Nyles

Comment

• bird 60
          Super-Experienced
          • Mar 18 2009

One would think that they would pressure test them all before they go out, obviously not. It shouldn't have made any difference if it sat around for two or ten years. Unlike Chinese stuff, I would have thought that Canadian manufactured parts would be of a higher quality. Having said that, I guess it depends on who's on the production line at the time.
          How do you think we feel, when we get Faulty stuff delivered here in Australia, & we do. Very frustrating.

Chris......From OZ.

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Latest TBird Caper

Nyles, this is the first report that I have ever seen regarding a new tank from Spectra with a weld problem or any problem. To my knowledge, Spectra is the ONLY manufacturer of gas tanks for these old Tbirds of ours. It is to bad that you did not discover the problem initially.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Tbird1044
              Super-Experienced
              • Jul 31 2012

It was just one of the many small challenges to overcome to get the bird back on the road. During the restoration, I bought a lot parts, knowing I would need them eventually. Unfortunately, when I did this, if I did have a problem with any of the parts, it was usually on me.
              The latest was a water pump I bought from Mac's a little over a year ago. When I went to install it, I found that the bypass hose fittings was 7/8" vs. the 5/8" fitting that was in the intake manifold and old pump. I was able to find a reducing hose to fit the pump and intake fittings which solved my problem. When I called Mac's, they wanted a 25% restock fee on the pump, plus I would have to pay for shipping. They also informed me that all of their pumps had a 7/8" bypass fitting, so beware if you order one of these.
              I am going to call Mac's back and suggest that they carry the reducing hose and make a comment in the pump section to alert buyers. We'll see if they do anything.
              Nyles

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

I too bought a Spectra-Premium tank for my '55.
                I'm converting to EFI and I put the fuel pump INSIDE the tank like a modern car. When I heated the area around the discharge tube, I noticed it was SOLDERED in place (not welded like the seam).

Not a problem, because I have my own hose setups for the EFI from my Mustang. I did notice that the tank's discharge tube had a 'pickup' pipe that went down to the bottom-middle of the tank with a small screen. That's it.

I'm used to seeing a 'cup' configuration that the pickup tube sits in, that holds about that much gas in case I'm climbing a steep hill so fuel won't run out by the time I get to the top. OEM tanks have this as standard fare. When the car levels out, the cup refills. Otherwise, gas naturally sits in the lowest part of the tank at all times. I guess if the tank was full there would be no issue. I don't always have a full tank.

I'm used to seeing setups like this from my RC airplane days. In the fuel tank, we put a weight at the end of a silicone pickup tube (called a 'clunk'). When flying upside down, fuel goes to the 'new bottom' and the clunk does too, so the plane doesn't starve for fuel.

In automotive, when Model T cars climbed Pennsylvania mountains, gravity-fed fuel became lower than the carb and the engine died. Someone got the idea of climbing in reverse to keep the fuel above the carb. Hey, it worked.

Your new water pump came with an 'expanded' tube but the hole IS 5/8". It's simply a press-fit into the casting and the tube can easily be tapped out. Auto parts stores carry 5/8" steel tubes for a couple bucks. I know because Edelbrock manifolds come with NO tube, just the 5/8" hole. It's the same tube.

Some Squarebirds require the larger size tube. That's why Mac's sells them. I will look for a 5/8" tube part number later. - Dave
                Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• pbf777
                  Experienced
                  • Jan 9 2016

Has anyone noticed how thin/light the sheet stock is that these "Canadian"(?) fuel tanks are manufactured of? Compare to your original O.E.M. unit.

And yes, leaks are not that uncommon; always test prior to installing!

D.O.T. approved?

And, if modifications are required, the material welds nasty & warps horrendously!

Scott.

Comment

• byersmtrco
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Sep 28 2004

Thanks for all the input!!!
                    My 1st choice would be, check (my) tank, and if it's
                    beyond repair repl it.
                    My 1st choice is using the OE tank.
                    The one that's in mine came out of a 60 HT. I want to say early-mid 80's.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                      Administrator
                      • May 26 2009

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                      ...Your new water pump came with an 'expanded' tube but the hole IS 5/8". It's simply a press-fit into the casting and the tube can easily be tapped out. Auto parts stores carry 5/8" steel tubes for a couple bucks. I know because Edelbrock manifolds come with NO tube, just the 5/8" hole. It's the same tube.

Some Squarebirds require the larger size tube. That's why Mac's sells them. I will look for a 5/8" tube part number later. - Dave
                      Last night, I promised a part number. Turns out Rock Auto sells this 5/8" steel tube for $3.61.

Do a Rock Auto search for: FOUR SEASONS 84716. Most people would never find it on their own unless they have a history of buying this part. I've purchased many. They also come too long so it's necessary to cut it down before pounding it in. - Dave
                      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Woobie
                        Experienced
                        • Apr 1 2016

Originally posted by byersmtrco
                        Thanks for all the input!!!
                        My 1st choice would be, check (my) tank, and if it's
                        beyond repair repl it.
                        My 1st choice is using the OE tank.
                        The one that's in mine came out of a 60 HT. I want to say early-mid 80's.
                        And how are the hard lines from the tank up to the pump ?
                        Austin

Comment

• sidewalkman
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Sep 14 2015

Originally posted by Tbird1044
                          This is just a heads up....
                          I bought one of the Canadian new tanks and it was about 2 years before I got to installing it and actually putting fuel in it. I had the tank installed, but didn't want fuel sitting in while I was working on the car, so I used a small boat tank to move the car around. Finally got things to the point where I could put fuel in the tank, and when I did, there was a drip from where the fuel fitting connects to the tank. I checked everything and found that it was the weld where the tank was leaking. Since I had the tank for several years, I had to eat it, and ended up taking it to a radiator shop to have the tank cleaned and repaired. Cost me another $70 to do that. Bottom line is verify, verify, verify, and it may pay to do a low pressure soap test on the tank prior to installing. Mine could have been the one in a thousand, but I got it!
                          As I said, just a heads up. If there is a leak, it is a lot easier to repair PRIOR to putting gas in the tank.
                          Nyles
                          Darn Canadians eh!
                          Scott
                          South Delta, BC, Canada
                          1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
                          Red Leather Interior!
                          www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
                          Thunderbird Registry #61266
                          http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• byersmtrco
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Sep 28 2004

I'm sure it's plugged solid like the rest.
                            Along with the F/P.
                            Some HAD to get into the carb

That is the orig 625 CFM Edelbrock - 1st Perf Series. Still says Carter on it.

Never been rebuilt. I must have put that on there for my dad I'm thinkin late 80's-early 90s????

WHAT A PRODUCT !!!! Tellin' ya !!!!!

Anyhow . . . Time to sell it
                            or go all thru it . . . . AGAIN !!!!

Originally posted by Woobie
                            And how are the hard lines from the tank up to the pump ?

Comment

• Tbird6
                              • Jul 3 2017

Thanks Jopizz for the Rock Auto discount!
                              Do we need a code when checking out?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎