X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tbirdmike63
    Experienced
    • May 4 2017

Steering wheel cam replacement

Hey everyone, I need to replace my turn signal cam, I have the cruise control steering wheel, is this an easy process, I know the are some wires that go to the cruise control switches, is there anything I need to know to not mess this up? Thanks!
  • OUR5T8BIRD
    Experienced
    • Mar 1 2017

Originally posted by tbirdmike63
    Hey everyone, I need to replace my turn signal cam, I have the cruise control steering wheel, is this an easy process, I know the are some wires that go to the cruise control switches, is there anything I need to know to not mess this up? Thanks!
    If I may ask , does it cancel on left turns but not right turns , Then the most likely problem is the sleeve that goes around the upper steering shaft bearing . they have a habit of breaking down over time and will allow the steering shaft to drop a bit . If you can take the steering wheel and notice vertical play, that is most likely the problem . The wheel has to come off, the turn signal switch has to lifted up over the shaft and then the bearing lifted off and a new sleeve put around the bearing . Hope this helps .

Comment

• tbirdmike63
      Experienced
      • May 4 2017

Actually, it's when I make right turns.

Comment

• tbirdmike63
        Experienced
        • May 4 2017

Oops, yes it cancels on left turns not on right, can I check it by pulling up on the steering wheel while turning right and see if it cancels?

Comment

• OUR5T8BIRD
          Experienced
          • Mar 1 2017

Oops, yes it cancels on left turns not on right, can I check it by pulling up on the steering wheel while turning right and see if it cancels?
          Sure , Just try to hold it upward while bringing the wheel back. If it then cancels, it is the bearing sleeve. If no different it could be the switch arm upper section broken off . That means a new switch .

Comment

• tbirdmike63
            Experienced
            • May 4 2017

Should I replace the bearing while I'm in there? Is this basically an easy job to do?

Comment

• OUR5T8BIRD
              Experienced
              • Mar 1 2017

Should I replace the bearing while I'm in there? Is this basically an easy job to do?
              A bit tricky getting the bearing off of the shaft spline . Also a snap ring in front of it. I never replace the bearing, just clean it and re-grease it considering the number of revolutions it makes it should never wear out . (be sure to keep the bearing seal on the bottom .) Once the shaft is clear of wheel, signal switch, you have to lift the shaft enough to get the bearing out of the pocket, slide something under it and tap down on the shaft to free the bearing . Have done many this way.

Comment

• tbirdmike63
                Experienced
                • May 4 2017

I will give it a shot. Thanks!

Comment

• tbirdmike63
                  Experienced
                  • May 4 2017

I heard on this forum that you must remove the steering shaft to get the bearing off, do you think it will be necessary? Or can I leave the bearing on since I probably won't be replacing it.

Comment

• tbirdmike63
                    Experienced
                    • May 4 2017

Oh, I see, in your description you mention removing the steering shaft. Thanks

Comment

• OUR5T8BIRD
                      Experienced
                      • Mar 1 2017

Oh, I see, in your description you mention removing the steering shaft. Thanks
                      No, do not remove the steering shaft . With the wheel off and the signal switch out of the way ( lift it up and over the shaft end ), lift on the shaft enough to have the bearing clear the pocket that it sits in with the sleeve around it ( sleeve probably gone ) . The rag joint On the bottom will let you lift it a bit , then slide a small shim or the like under the bearing and with the nut back on the threads of the shaft and the snap ring removed from in front of the bearing, tap on the shaft/nut to drive it down and the bearing should clear the spline on the shaft and lift out . Do the repair and reverse the procedure with bearing and new sleeve , snap ring and shaft back in pocket . Hope this is clear for you .

Parts venders should have this bearing sleeve .

Comment

• tbirdmike63
                        Experienced
                        • May 4 2017

Do you think I will need to buy anything besides the sleeve, I don't want to get only the sleeve and realize I need other parts? Thanks!

Comment

• OUR5T8BIRD
                          Experienced
                          • Mar 1 2017

Do you think I will need to buy anything besides the sleeve, I don't want to get only the sleeve and realize I need other parts? Thanks!
                          You only mentioned the canceling of the turn signal cam. You could also replace the bearing if you wish . While you are in there, you could pull the yoke and replace the detent , the selector lever, check the tension spring for the selector lever , Replace the indicator bulb , etc.,

Comment

• tbirdmike63
                            Experienced
                            • May 4 2017

I'm having a hard time with the signal switch it comes about half way out, the top of it comes out but the the bottom seems to be hung up on something, I don't want to force it, it seems fragile.

Comment

• tbirdmike63
                              Experienced
                              • May 4 2017

The wires to the switch are too short, I can't clear the steering shaft, is there a way to remove the housing? Should I pull on the wires to try to clear the shaft? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎