X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RustyNCa
    Super-Experienced
    • May 31 2007

Spark plug wires question for you all.

If one is going with universal wires on a FE motor, 390 in this case. Is it necessary and correct to run straight or 90 degree elbow ends at the head?

Both the cars I have sitting here have the straight ends. Currently running stock manifolds if that is relevant.

Thanks for the input

RustyNCA
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

If you are talking about concours correct then the ends would be straight. However I've seen aftermarket wires that were at a 90 so either one will work. I normally use the Motorcraft replacement wires that have the straight ends in red.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• RustyNCa
      Super-Experienced
      • May 31 2007

Originally posted by jopizz
      If you are talking about concours correct then the ends would be straight. However I've seen aftermarket wires that were at a 90 so either one will work. I normally use the Motorcraft replacement wires that have the straight ends in red.

John
      Thank John, I've left concours correct way behind me... just wondering what works the best operationally if you don't care about correctness.

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The quality of the wires is more important than whether they have straight or bent ends. You get what you pay for when it comes to spark plug wires. Cheap wires will usually break down faster. That's why I try to stay with Motorcraft or other name brand wires.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• RustyNCa
          Super-Experienced
          • May 31 2007

Originally posted by jopizz
          The quality of the wires is more important than whether they have straight or bent ends. You get what you pay for when it comes to spark plug wires. Cheap wires will usually break down faster. That's why I try to stay with Motorcraft or other name brand wires.

John
          Yeah, I was looking at a set of Accel 8mm universal wires. I need to make a new set, learned the last set is to short for the high rise valve covers I plan to run next.

I gave up on premade wires a long time ago, they never seemed to fit to my liking. The set I have now I made and made them to short to run around the covers, I made them to go over the covers.

Thank for the help John.

Cheers
          RustyNCA

Comment

• Yadkin
            Banned
            • Aug 11 2012

I just went through this and my first set by Taylor were crap. My second set was much better, available over the counter, MSD Street Fire. The spark plug ends are pre-installed and can be bent slightly. The distributor end you do yourself with their crimp tool provided in the kit. About $50 and you're done.

Comment

• DKheld
              Super-Experienced
              • Aug 27 2008

Used a Motorcraft generic set when I had the original engine in there. Never liked how the wires routed over the valve cover. Although it looks like the wires are resting on the manifold they actually are hanging a few inches above.
              Spark plug side was straight and distributor side was 90 deg.

After installing the new engine and chrome valve covers I used a set of spark plug wire holders that attach to the valve cover bolts to route the wires differently. Still a generic set of wires (Advance I think) but a little longer to contour around the valve covers rather than over. Same ends - straight at the plug (but black boot rather than orange) and 90 at the dist.

Eric

Comment

• RustyNCa
                Super-Experienced
                • May 31 2007

Originally posted by DKheld
                After installing the new engine and chrome valve covers I used a set of spark plug wire holders that attach to the valve cover bolts to route the wires differently. Still a generic set of wires (Advance I think) but a little longer to contour around the valve covers rather than over. Same ends - straight at the plug (but black boot rather than orange) and 90 at the dist.

Eric
                That's perfect, what I was planning to do. I picked up a set of tall Weiand finned valve covers for the TBird and never thought about the wires being to short to clear over or around them.

If you click on the small thumbnail it will redirect you to photobucket for a bigger file.

But you can see the cap off a bit to get the wires over the covers.

Thanks for the help, it's very appreciated.

Bryan

Comment

• DKheld
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Aug 27 2008

The plug wires had to come out one direction then reverse to go toward the front of the engine so that made it necessary for them to be a little longer than standard. Something was weird about the mounts on the wire holders and seems like a bolt hole didn't line up so I had to move the mount - all worked out but was a pain.

I've got 3 - 4 nice plug wire crimp tools (even a pro crimp) but the ends never seem to stay on as well as the factory crimped ones.

Here's the wire holder set I used.
                  Mr Gasket 9870

There are much nicer ones though...$$

That will look good routing the wires around those nice covers.

Still can't wait to hear that thing make some noise.

Eric

Comment

• sidewalkman
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Sep 14 2015

The plug wires had to come out one direction then reverse to go toward the front of the engine so that made it necessary for them to be a little longer than standard. Something was weird about the mounts on the wire holders and seems like a bolt hole didn't line up so I had to move the mount - all worked out but was a pain.

I've got 3 - 4 nice plug wire crimp tools (even a pro crimp) but the ends never seem to stay on as well as the factory crimped ones.

Mr Gasket 9870

Eric
                    I'd like to see what those look like installed
                    Scott
                    South Delta, BC, Canada
                    1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
                    Red Leather Interior!
                    www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
                    Thunderbird Registry #61266
                    http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• RustyNCa
                      Super-Experienced
                      • May 31 2007

Mr Gasket 9870

Eric
                      Thanks Eric, I'm getting closer. Correct belt is on it's way, throttle linkage has been figured out I think. So, I'm left with fuel lines, jetting of the carbs, and radiator hoses and she is ready to light.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎