No announcement yet.

Engine numbers

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine numbers

I am living in Sweden and is new to thise forum.
    I restoring a 63 sports roadster that is missing the engine and trans.In order to get the "right" engine for my car,I was hoping some of you T-bird experts can help me one thise.
    Here is my questions:
    1.Is the casting number on the skirt of the block, behind the generator / alternator: C3 AE 6015 A right fore a T-bird ?
    I understand that the AE stands for "full sise ford engine"like the Galaxie.
    2.Is there ewer a number C3 SE 6015 A,where the SE stands for Thunderbird Engine?
    3.Allso the ather number,the "Date number" on the block,wath should it be for a car thats have 05J ( 05 sept ) in the win.
    I hope some T-bird-gay can help me with thise.
    Regards/Blobird
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Engine numbers

Welcome to the site.

According to the Steve Christ "How to Rebuild your Big Block Ford" an engine stamped C3AE-A is for 1963 but is a 352. C3SE-A would be a 390 which would be correct for a Thunderbird. The date code for the engine should be within a month before the build date of the car.

There have been some errors found in that book with the casting numbers. Does anyone else here have a source to check a casting number?

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

Thank`s Alexander for your promt awnser,however I remember reading on anather site,(can`t remember witsh ):"The only way to be certain of what engine you have in the FE family is to remove the head and crank, then measure!" .So you cant tell by yust reading the numbers on the engine if its a 352 or 390 or any ather FE.That I know is the fact.
      Thankful for any opinion on thise."Is there ewer an engineblock that haw "SE" in the enginenumber"?

Regard`s/Blobird
      1963 T-bird SR
      1985 T 23 Hotrod

Comment

• Alexander
        Webmaster
        • Oct 30 2002

According to the Steve Christ book, the only block with an SE designation is the '63 390 block.

Alexander
        1959 Hardtop
        1960 Golde Top
        Alexander
        1959 Hard Top
        1960 Golde Top
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢