Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to look for (lookout for?) when buying a '60 T-Bird?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lawyercalif
    Experienced
    • May 12 2011

I must correct my last post. When I checked 1964 Ford I only found one. However later when I searched 1964 Galaxie I found fifteen. So the Squarebird does seem to be rarer after all.

Comment

• Dakota Boy
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 30 2009

SE Wisconsin is heavily-populated, and has lots of big car shows/events. I have only seen two other Squarebirds around here.
      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• DKheld
        Super-Experienced
        • Aug 27 2008

Ooooo - that is a nice Galaxie.

Just judging by the style wheels you have on the Galaxie - bet the Tbird will be a lot softer ride when stock - not sure how much bolt on suspension upgrades there would be to make the Tbird more "streetable" but I think more options are available for the full size Fords. I bet the Tbird will be lower to the ground - they ride really low thus the seats and all will be a lower ride.

Good luck on your decision - that's not one I would want to make.

Eric
        registry 5347

Comment

• byersmtrco
          Super-Experienced
          • Sep 28 2004

Depends on the Galaxie.

Too bad they never put that 406 in a TBird.

Comment

• LJEstep
            • Sep 27 2011

Originally posted by byersmtrco
            Depends on the Galaxie.

Too bad they never put that 406 in a TBird.
            There's nothing that says you couldn't swap one in.

The problem is finding one. And then the engine would probably be worth as much as the rest of the car.

I do have a 410FE from a Mercury that I was planning to swap into my Galaxie at some point. If the old 352 were to give me any problems, this would probably go into the T-Bird.

Comment

• LJEstep
              • Sep 27 2011

Originally posted by DKheld
              Ooooo - that is a nice Galaxie.

Just judging by the style wheels you have on the Galaxie - bet the Tbird will be a lot softer ride when stock - not sure how much bolt on suspension upgrades there would be to make the Tbird more "streetable" but I think more options are available for the full size Fords. I bet the Tbird will be lower to the ground - they ride really low thus the seats and all will be a lower ride.

Good luck on your decision - that's not one I would want to make.

Eric
              registry 5347
              Assuming we can come to a mutually agreeable deal, I plan to trade for the T-Bird. The problem I'm having right now is getting in touch with the guy who owns it. He hasn't been returning my calls.

I wanted to do it this weekend. I got my car all cleaned up and even touched up some places in the paint. This is the best it has looked since I've owned it. Had the title and some boot money in hand. Had a trailer available. I was all ready to go.

Now I'm not sure when I can get up there again. I can't get away from work this week and the trailer is going to be in use this weekend.

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

John, they DID put the 406CI 405 horsepower engine in the 1962/1963 Sports Roadster "M" code Tbird! Or at least part of it! Here is what I have learned about that. Here is what Thunderbird Illustrated Magazine had to say about this.

Some history of the 390CI and 406CI engine used on the 1962/1963 "M" Code Sports Roadster Tbird.

According to Thunderbird Illustrated Magazine, Summer, 1976, Vol. 2, #4, (the last edition), there were 120 1962 Sport Roadster "M" series with Tri-Power carbs (6V) made. How many of them had the 406CI 6V engine, I do not know. For the 1963 model year "M" series Sports Roadster Tri-Power carbs (6V), only 37 were produced. Of those 37, from what I have read, only 18 had the 390 Tri-Power carb (6V) 340 horsepower engine in them. The other 19 must have had the 406CI Tri-Power carb (6V) 405 horsepower engine in them. That engine only lasted about two years and was replaced by the 427CI engine.

I think I will put the rest of the information that I have garnered in the Post regarding the "M" Code 1962/1963 Tbirds and in the Engine Forum.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Alan H. Tast, AIA
                  Experienced
                  • Jan 5 2008

Sorry, but I call BS on the 406 installation. I have yet to run across an invoice for an "M"-series car that identifies anything but the 340 HP Thunderbird Sports V-8. The writer of the article in '76 probably did not do a lot of research or investigation other than "a friend told me" or "I heard from someone that" stories.

The 406 setup with mechanical dual advance distributor, low vacuum due to the more-aggressive cam profile, mechanical lifters needing adjusting, etc. did not lend itself to the 'Bird which needed a healthy vacuum source for all the pneumatics in the heater system, not to mention the vacuum modulator for the automatic transmission. These are the same reasons why Ford opted not to install the 360 hp 352 in '60 T-birds.

Originally posted by YellowRose
                  John, they DID put the 406CI 405 horsepower engine in the 1962/1963 Sports Roadster "M" code Tbird! Or at least part of it! Here is what I have learned about that. Here is what Thunderbird Illustrated Magazine had to say about this.

Some history of the 390CI and 406CI engine used on the 1962/1963 "M" Code Sports Roadster Tbird.

According to Thunderbird Illustrated Magazine, Summer, 1976, Vol. 2, #4, (the last edition), there were 120 1962 Sport Roadster "M" series with Tri-Power carbs (6V) made. How many of them had the 406CI 6V engine, I do not know. For the 1963 model year "M" series Sports Roadster Tri-Power carbs (6V), only 37 were produced. Of those 37, from what I have read, only 18 had the 390 Tri-Power carb (6V) 340 horsepower engine in them. The other 19 must have had the 406CI Tri-Power carb (6V) 405 horsepower engine in them. That engine only lasted about two years and was replaced by the 427CI engine.

I think I will put the rest of the information that I have garnered in the Post regarding the "M" Code 1962/1963 Tbirds and in the Engine Forum.
                  Alan H. Tast AIA, LEED AP BD+C
                  Technical Director/Past President, Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
                  Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"

Comment

• redstangbob
                    Experienced
                    • Feb 18 2011

I believe the 406 heads were used on the 'M' code, but that was it. The MPC calls out a different head number for the 62-63 Thunderbird 390 special. Jim Wulf would know

Comment

• YellowRose
                      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Thanks for the input, Alan. I was reporting on what Jake Vandersluis, TBird Illustrated Publisher, or Frank Taylor, Editor-In-Chief had written. There is no credit given as to which wrote the article. I do not know if you read the complete article in that final edition of Thunderbird Illustrated. I have just read it again. To me, it is written as Ford did put some 406 6V engines in a few of these "M" code Bulletbirds. It led me to believe it to be a fact. Re-reading it again though it could very well be that they did not put the whole 406 engine in, but as redstandbob said, just the heads. I do not know how to contact Jim Wulf, but it would be good to see what he knows about this. The article, in regards to the 406 engine being used in the "M" code Bird might be BS, as you said. I hope the entire article is not because there seems to be some excellent information there, but what do I know. I will never have the knowledge you do, Alan, regarding these Tbirds. Thanks again for the comments.

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• jopizz
                        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Here's a link to Jim's web page. His email is at the bottom.
                        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• GTE427
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Oct 9 2007

Originally posted by YellowRose
                          John, they DID put the 406CI 405 horsepower engine in the 1962/1963 Sports Roadster "M" code Tbird!
                          Ray,

I haven't heard of a 406 Thunderbird either. Maybe it was the long hours spent getting the articles posted.

The article refers to the 390-6V Thunderbird [M code] and the 406-6V Ford Cars [G code]. I didn't see where they stated the 406 was in the sports roadster. Many references to the 406 and comparisons. Take another look and hopefully you'll agree. This article is an excellent guide hi-lighting the different details between the 390-6V and the 406-6V that is useful when comparing manifolds or buying parts for the manifolds, you shouldn't make any errors following this.

Thanks again for all your effort towards expanding this Site.
                          Last edited by GTE427; October 5, 2011, 11:45 AM.
                          Ken
                          1959 J Convertible
                          1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• YellowRose
                            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

First of all, my apologies to all for getting this thread off track. Any further conversation regarding these rare Tbirds should continue in their Forum. As for the 406 situation, with all the information and detail they provided in an article about the 390 4 V and 6V, they should have left the information about the 406 6V out of the discussion if it was not used in these cars. I "assumed" that the way it was written, and since they talked about it in great detail, that Ford actually put them in 19 of those 37 1963 Tbirds. I have read in several places that only 18 of the 37 6V 1963 Tbirds produced went out the door with a 390 6V in them. I "assumed" that the other 19 had the 406 6V, and that was probably the wrong assumption. I wonder where the "18" figure came from? As Alan has said many time, the stories about these old cars often get twisted and confused with the passing of time.

Now, if there is any other comments to be made about this, lets take them to the Bulletbird Forum and get this back on track. My apologies again.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎