X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GTE427
    Super-Experienced
    • Oct 9 2007

Another Thunderbird

Several weeks ago I got another Thunderbird, formally owned by 430MEL. I wrote about the car, that I was considering the purchase and it's ultimate sale to someone else.

Well, the deal went sour and I'm now the new owner. It's an outstanding car and most of the car's service history was easy to locate, on this site where 430MEL posted regularly.

Here's a few picture when I got the car, it's a joy to drive.
    Attached Files
    Ken
    1959 J Convertible
    1960 J Hardtop
  • fomoco59
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 10 2005

Congrats Ken !! She's a beauty !
    sigpic
    Mike Lemmon
    '59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461

Comment

• Coral
      Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Oh MY.....gorgeous!
      and I don't even like red....LOL

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Another Thunderbird

Congratulations, Ken, on not letting that one get away! Andy took great care of her! She is a beauty to see for sure! You should consider sending me some large sized pics of her so I can add her to the list of candidates for the 2010 calendar!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Coral
          Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

YES!
          I suggest June for a HOTTIE, LOL

Comment

That is to sharp. I'd be scared to drive it. Good luck

Comment

• bird 60
              Super-Experienced
              • Mar 18 2009

Congrats, She's a beauty. Was considering on the Continental Kit myself but my garage length said sorry no room.

Chris....From the Land of OZ.

Comment

• Coral
                Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Originally posted by bird 60
                Congrats, She's a beauty. Was considering on the Continental Kit myself but my garage length said sorry no room.

Hum... I seem to recall a builder or two here amongst the membership...by chance they could help you out....

Comment

• bird 60
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Mar 18 2009

Con-kit

When they decide to come I'll have the shrimps ready cooking on the B.B.Q. & beer that puts hair on your chest, (the Boys that is) & for the Gals, well there's numerous amount of liqueur.
                  Hoping to see you all real soon.

Comment

• tbird430
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jun 18 2007

WOW!! Isn't "life" funny sometimes?

Congrat's on the new bird...

-Jon
                    sigpic
                    The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• GTE427
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Oct 9 2007

Thanks for all the kind words. I've traveled about 50 miles with the car, all within a 5 mile radius from the house. This car is truely turn-key, everything works and works well. Blinkers cancel, shifter is tight and positive, the windows are effortless and in perfect alignment, all lights work, drives like a dream. There is no 'everthing works but.....'. Feels like 1960 and I just picked it up from the showroom.

I never intended to buy this car, only looked at it out of curiousity and to photograph. But once I saw the car and realised how much time, money and care were invested, I had second thoughts, and my wife was very supportive. This is easily a 30K car for someone like myself to buy and restore, not to mention the years it couldn't be driven while being rebuilt. It made the asking price a very appealing. I was never fond of the exterior chrome package or a Continental Kit, but this car wears them well and I'm liking them.

Andy rebuilt the front and rear suspension and added Coker H78-14, I like the ride of this car, while being tight and straight, it takes me back to another time with the steering response and that body roll only found on these vintage car. The sounds of the car are music to my ears, not even thinking about any audio systems, they'd only drown out all the sounds of the engine, drive train and road.

The Continental Kit adds 13" to the car which presented a problem for garaging, took me two weeks to find a garage as length was an issue in my older town, ended up in a new storage facility, 15 minute walk and I'm behind the wheel.

Ray, I'll submit pictures to you in the future to consider for next year's calendar.

This car truely makes one appreciate the effort and dedication required to bring one of these old cars back to glory and my hats off to those of you out there that have accomplished this feat. I'm reminded of Bart (bcomo) on this Forum and his 60 430 HT that's for sale, if someone is considering a purchase or know someone who is, look into Bart's car, it's selling for probable half the cost of the restoration, and it's an awesome car!
                      Ken
                      1959 J Convertible
                      1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• Anders
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by GTE427
                        Several weeks ago I got another Thunderbird, formally owned by 430MEL. I wrote about the car, that I was considering the purchase and it's ultimate sale to someone else.

Well, the deal went sour and I'm now the new owner. It's an outstanding car and most of the car's service history was easy to locate, on this site where 430MEL posted regularly.

Here's a few picture when I got the car, it's a joy to drive.
                        WOW! What a stunning bird.

Your description about how it is build and run, sounds like the ´60 430 I tryed here last year ( in full speed +125 mph....). Drove like a charm.
                        Congratiolations!
                        I also like the house in the background
                        Last edited by Anders; June 3, 2009, 05:14 PM.
                        sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
                        http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• bird 60
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Mar 18 2009

As I mentioned before Ken, She's a Beauty. Now tell us the truth, does the Clock work?

Comment

Hey Chris,
                            Christine's clock did not work when I got her, so I thought I will take the back off and look at it. Everything looked in tack. So I got out my WD-40 and sprayed on the gears a couple of times. Applied power and she runs!
                            Now when I take her out, of course I always undo the battery when she is not in use, I connect the battery and get in the clock is always running!
                            They say WD-40 is also good for stiff joints!!! LOL, LOL, LOL
                            Richard D. Hord

Comment

• GTE427
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Oct 9 2007

Yes, not only does the clock work, the windshield washer works also. I feel like the warranty card should be arriving in the mail any day now.

Andy also updated the car with an Edlebrock Carb and Pretronixs ignition, after a week, one pump, turn the key and it's running.

Anders, don't think I'll be pegging the speedometer anytime soon, the need for speed doesn't call to me any longer, the leisurely pace suit me fine. Although my right foot struggles with that logic while I'm behind the wheel of that torquey 430, it pulls real nice.
                              Ken
                              1959 J Convertible
                              1960 J Hardtop

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎