No announcement yet.

Update On The Battery 3/8/07 Yes!!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update On The Battery 3/8/07 Yes!!!

Ok went to start here yesterday and all i got was a spinning of the starter and a few clicks... Is this telling me what i think...."Time to get the starter re-wound and a new Bendix spring???"
    ****!!
    help me out here guys
    mark
    Last edited by Guest; February 26, 2007, 05:36 PM.

starter

I hate to say it but sounds like bendix spring broke. That little tab on the end of the spring was always a pain in the butt...........................Bill

Comment

The "Bendix Spring Broke" hmmmm that i dont like to hear at all, does that mean that i do need it re=wound as i thought and of course a new spring?
      mark

Comment

starter

It wouldn't hurt to have it looked at while it's out. If it's spinning I'd say no rewind. But that's not a real easy job pulling the starter out. (better safe than sorry)...........Bill

Comment

not easy job?? well besides the spinning i have the clicking...the battery is fully charged. Maybe this is a job for the mechanic to do??? what do you think.. Have him pull it, send to re-wind and replace the Bendix....what are we looking at $$$ on the spring. Is this an expensive deal?
          Mark

Comment

starter

Before you go thru the trouble of pulling the starter.Try jumping the solenoid.Pull the small red wire slightly upward exposing the post.Then take a screw driver or jump wire and connect the small post to the hot post off of the battery.Might be a bad solenoid.George 60HT

Comment

• Dan Leavens
              Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Starter

Jumping the solenoid from the live battery post would certainly start up the motor. I had a similar problem but only had a loud clicking sound not spinning sound as mentioned.
              My problem was the bendix arm was not connecting properly as the 58 was uneven in a parking lot. This has been a problem for many and this does not sound like that. Let us know how it turns out.

Dano Calgary,Alberta,Canada
              Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
              Thunderbird Registry
              58HT #33317
              60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Bendex spring!!!

is the Bendix a big deal to get or can i get it at any of the tbird parts suppliers.
                One lesson to all, I have 19K ORIGINAL miles on this car....DRIVE THEM , THEY ARE FOR THAT, 45 years in a garage is playing havoc on this car, the low mileage does not mean jack at this point if i cant drive it!!
                mark

Comment

starter

I'm guessin it clicks before it spins. that would be normal. But it's not easy to sit here on the comp. and know for sure what the problem is. I still say spring...Just from the old days. But not 100% sure. Let me know...............................Bill

Comment

Originally posted by tbirds8
                    I'm guessin it clicks before it spins. that would be normal. But it's not easy to sit here on the comp. and know for sure what the problem is. I still say spring...Just from the old days. But not 100% sure. Let me know...............................Bill
                    Oh yeah, my guy picks it up in about 2 weeks going to remover the starters and send it all out and get re-done, I will keep all informed
                    mark

Comment

• JohnG
                      John
                      • Jul 28 2003

Mark's starter

Mark, have you checked to see if there is a shop in your area that overhauls electric components such as starters and alternators? Most cities have one or more such places, usually in the Yellow Pages under "Auto Electric" or something comparable. If so you ought to be able to drop it off yourself and pick it up in a few days. I have had the one off of my TBird (352) in such places and they had no trouble getting pieces for it. A Bendix spring should be no problem. They will do what you need, not just blindy rebuild everything. They usually check things over and point out any weak areas (bearings, insulation and so on) so it ends up being effort well spent.

The part about a questionable starter that always worries me is that if it does not engage correctly, you can damage the teeth on the flywheel which is a much greater pain to change.

John
                      1958 Hardtop
                      #8452 TBird Registry
                      http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
                      history:
                      http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

Originally posted by JohnG
                        Mark, have you checked to see if there is a shop in your area that overhauls electric components such as starters and alternators? Most cities have one or more such places, usually in the Yellow Pages under "Auto Electric" or something comparable. If so you ought to be able to drop it off yourself and pick it up in a few days. I have had the one off of my TBird (352) in such places and they had no trouble getting pieces for it. A Bendix spring should be no problem. They will do what you need, not just blindly rebuild everything. They usually check things over and point out any weak areas (bearings, insulation and so on) so it ends up being effort well spent.

The part about a questionable starter that always worries me is that if it does not engage correctly, you can damage the teeth on the flywheel which is a much greater pain to change.

John
                        YES i do have a shop that can re-do it not far and my mechanic who has been working on the car is going to remover it and take it in for me... I have to order the bendix spring from The "Birds Nest" and i think i will be good,
                        Thank you
                        mark

Comment

• byersmtrco
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Sep 28 2004

Starters Available

If you need a good quality reman starter I can get one.
                          They're even available in Motorcraft (if) you know where to look. Most of the time it is that Bendex that goes away. Easy fix.30 min tops (unless you have a 430-- then it's a few minutes longer heh heh)

Comment

Originally posted by byersmtrco
                            If you need a good quality reman starter I can get one.
                            They're even available in Motorcraft (if) you know where to look. Most of the time it is that Bendex that goes away. Easy fix.30 min tops (unless you have a 430-- then it's a few minutes longer heh heh)
                            R us saying a 1960 REMAN..starter or a moder one??? what can you get me, and can i order the bendex through say Birds Nest??
                            mark
                            PS come over and help me do it!@!@

Comment

starter

I'd help ya if you weren't so far. That is one sweet lookin car. I saw your members rides pics. Your right. You have to drive them But that little tab on that spring broke when they were new cars. I wish we could stick a high torqe job from summit in them. and do away with the bendix. Mine has two tone brown interor and gun metal gray paint. (I'm thinkin black cherry is in it's future)................Bill

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎