• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

new engine on a 1959 Tbird

Hi Karl,

You can send any pictures you want to post here to me and I will post them for you. Get some good pictures of the areas he says has cracks in the block or anywhere else he is saying needs to be replaced, like the motor mounts. You can email them to: rayclark07@gmail.com

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• karambos
      Apprentice
      • May 28 2009

Pictures

I may have made a mistake when I said master mounts. The whole conversation took place over the phone. I'm going to go in and talk to the guy tomorrow to find out more. And I'm definitely going to take it elsewhere for a second opinion.

I've joined a local chapter of the Vintage Car Club of Canada and there's a meeting next Wednesday. The guy who runs it says that members do repairs and can recommend mechanics. So I'll definitely be attending.

Here are some pics:

Last edited by karambos; June 3, 2009, 10:56 PM. Reason: I wanted to include some pics
      Thunderbird Registry number 33914

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

That is good that you have joined the VCCC. They will be able to steer you towards some good mechanics that you should be able to trust when you go to the meeting. I saw the pix of your Tbird, and she is nice looking. I like the seat covers, and I see you have the external chrome kit on, and also have Thunderbird valve covers, like I do. They are not original to the car, but I like them. I don't know why Ford did not put Thunderbird valve covers on all Thunderbirds.. I also took my original air cleaner like you have, and had it chromed. It cost me $75, as I recall, and it really looks nice chromed. Your Tbird valve covers will look nice once you get them shined up really well, and if you chrome your air cleaner, that will really look nice too.
        Last edited by YellowRose; June 3, 2009, 11:20 PM. Reason: Additional Comments

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

Nice Bird Karl!! Wish mine was in that condition

Comment

• 57ford/60thunderbird
            Experienced
            • May 4 2009

nice bird karambos
            57 ford sedan
            60 thunderbird registry number 33404
            69 mustang coupe
            69 roadrunner

Comment

• karambos
              Apprentice
              • May 28 2009

What's an external chrome kit?

Comment

• karambos
                Apprentice
                • May 28 2009

Originally posted by chewrocks
                Hey Karl, I was going to offer to come up and take a look under your car but I looked at your post again and you said "3300 CAD". I am thinking that you are not in Vancouver Washington but rather in Vacouver BC.
                Yes, You're right - I'm in BC. Thanks for the offer , though! That's very nice of you.

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

The external chrome dress up kit consists of the chromed air scoop, chromed headlight covers around the headlights, chromed windshield wiper bezels, the curved rear tail sections, and the chromed bar that is over the top of the tail lights. It looks to me like you have only the chromed curved tail section and the chromed bar over the tail lights on your car. It does not look like the head light covers are chromed, nor the air scoop. I can't see the wiper bezels.

The chrome engine dress up kit consists of chromed valve covers, chromed air cleaner, chromed voltage regulator cover and chromed oil cap. Some people have even chromed their radiator expansion tank, in front of their radiator. It has been said that is not a good idea because the chroming process can cause that thing to leak on you and they give us enough problems as they are, without chroming them. Though they look nice chromed.

These are items that could be ordered through the dealer when the car was bought new. Now people can either have theirs chromed or do what I did. Buy a used piece for each one of the above and have them chromed. That can be expensive to do, but to some people, it looks nice on the car and really makes the car stand out. Especially if the car is black or red. Some people do not care for all the chrome.

Besides expense, there is another problem with chroming. Most of those pieces to be chromed are made of pot metal. Pot metal bends easily when heated during the chroming process. That means that if you take off your air scoop, for example (one of the pieces I ran into problems with) and have it chromed, when you get it back, it might be bent or warped and you might not be able to get it back on the car. I went through two other air scoops before they got one right. I also had problems with one of the rear curved tail fin pieces. That is why I kept my original pieces and bought spares and had them chromed... The main piece inside the car, over the top of the windshield, that holds the rear view mirror and sun visors, also warped on me and I had to buy a replacement because I could not get it back on the car. So keep this in mind if you are thinking of chroming more pieces on your Tbird.

Comment

• bird 60
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Mar 18 2009

Nice looking Bird Karl. Rest assured you're in good hands now. You're gonna have fun fun fun till daddy takes the T.Bird away real soon now.

Chris....From the Land of OZ.

Comment

• RustyNCa
                      Super-Experienced
                      • May 31 2007

Yes, very nice car, looks like the piping on the seats is a different color?

You also seem to have an a/c vent in the dash, but I didn't notice any a/c under the hood, was it a factory a/c car?

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                        Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Karl there is also a local chapter of Thunderbid Club in Kelowna that has a ton of long time members that can steer you straight. Our Calgary Thunderbird Club comes down to your S & S every year but unfortunately I can't make it this year.You have a S&S coming up in Kelowna on June 21st on Father's day, are you going
                        Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                        Thunderbird Registry
                        58HT #33317
                        60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• karambos
                          Apprentice
                          • May 28 2009

Hi Dan, Actually, I bought the car from a guy in Kelowna who was a member of the Tbird club there. I don't think I"ll be going to a S&S in Kelowna but there are a few around here that I'll be attending for sure.

Hi RustyNCa - I believe, just from looking at them, that the drivers' seat has been re-upholstered at some point. You can tell because the blues don't quite match. They're very close but not exact and yes, the piping on that seat is also slightly different. Again, close but no cigar. As for the A/C vent in the dash - I wrote to the former owner but haven't heard back yet. I'll have to get back to you on that one. Well, spotted though!

As far as the car goes, it's still at the same mechanics' yard and the latest info I have is that the bushings on the lower and upper control arms are rusted out. He said the labour is the killer on those, the material itself is only about $80 CAD. He said he's going to get me the materials and let me decide when I want to replace them.

I just want to say that I'm extremely grateful for everyone's help on this. It's been invaluable.

Comment

• tbird430
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Jun 18 2007

That's what we are all here for...

-Jon in TX.
                            sigpic
                            The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                              Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Karl just had the same thing done upper and lower complete with bushings, on my 60HT.Hourly rate here is between $80.00 -85.00 per hour so I would ask your guy how many hours for the swap out. Based on that you can give him the go ahead and if they are reputable, they will come close. By the way the ride after the install is fantastic and they should lats anothe 50 years
                              Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                              Thunderbird Registry
                              58HT #33317
                              60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Hawkrod
                                Experienced
                                • Oct 31 2005

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                                snip
                                Your block doesn't have a heater, but your dash does. Normally, a cracked block would leak antifreeze or oil, REAL BAD! You should see puddles under your car, and you would have to make up for lost fluids frequently.
                                snip
                                Not that I entirely disagree with what you have said but blocks do regularly have heaters and cracks do not always leak bad. I have seen many block side cracks from freezing that only leaked when the engine was hot and pressure pushed water out. Cold they held fluid just fine. Hawkrod

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎