X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

'58 Tbird W/Opera Windows!

I also like the looks of the Opera Windows on your Squarebird and wish mine had them also. It certainly does improve the look of the C pillar, I think. It is interesting that Ford was considering keeping the Opera Window in effect on the Squarebirds, as evidenced by the three picture mock ups I posted showing one of the models with the windows in place.

I suspect that someone in marketing said no, we want to make the Squarebirds look entirely different. So they decided not to use them. It is to bad they didn't. I like them..

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• tbird430
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 18 2007

Maybe it was a "cost cutting measure"- kind of like reusing the same '57 little bird drum brakes on our bigger, heavier Square Birds.....

-Jon
      sigpic
      The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

'58 Tbird W/Opera Windows!

Shortly after Marco joined us, I started talking with the second owner of his Tbird. Unfortunately, the first and third owners have both since passed away. However, the second owner was able to give me a lot of information about it. Including the fact that he had it re-painted it's present color. Then he said he found some pictures of what it looked like when he first bought it. He send me several 35mm film strips. Finding someone who could still process 1970's-1980's 35mm film strips was interesting, since those do not have the sprocket holes on the sides. After making several stops at photo processing places, no one could do these anymore. It turns out that Walgreen was able to do it manually. So they put the pix on a CD for me and I took them off, downsized them, and sent them to the previous owner and Marco. Marco was very happy to get them. Now he knows what his Tbird used to look like before he bought her. And now you will also... Here are several shots taken about 1984. This is old film, so a lot of the color has been lost from the background. Notice that in these shots the car still had its side and front Tbird emblems.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by YellowRose; February 12, 2009, 12:56 AM. Reason: Corrected comments

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Penelope
          Super-Experienced
          • Mar 4 2008

Great work as usual Ray, you always go that extra mile! I think it looks fabulous with the opera windows and I would ahve to say that it looks better red than the original color, there is more of a contrast with the roof. Great car!
          sigpicBill
          Thunderbird Registry 21903 & 33405

Comment

• Dan Leavens
            Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Ray great work on getting the original pixs of Marco's Tbird and the fact that these are original pixs taken. I am sure Marco appreciates the " extra bonus " that one of the owners was down your way and you went to see him. This is another testament of just how good this site is and it's members comittments.

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
            Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
            Thunderbird Registry
            58HT #33317
            60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• frank58
              Super-Experienced
              • May 28 2006

Can anyone tell what the emblems are next to the porthole windows?... they are not there in the newer photos.

Ooops, nevermind, they are the Tbird emblems..... I'm so blind.
              Last edited by frank58; February 14, 2009, 06:17 PM. Reason: not too bright

Comment

• saverio
                Experienced
                • Mar 14 2005

Nice Boat

Great looking car,I love the porthole windows. Don't know which color I liked best?
                When i was growing up, the local referral to a nice car was that's some boat. I thought it was fitting due to the porthole windows.

Great job on the interior too.

Proud to own a T-Bird!

Sal
                Sal III

60 T BD

Thunderbird Registry # 33126 - VTCI # 11138- CTCI #02521

Comment

• dgs
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Feb 13 2003

Interesting detective work. How did you go about tracking down the prior owners? My car came from Los Angeles and I've often wondered if I could find the original owners. Of course, since my Grandfather bought the car from them in 1978, I'd be surprised if they were still with us. I think I have a name and maybe an address somewhere ...

On the portholes, I have to dissent. I prefer the solid 'B' pillar. I will say that replacing the wide chrome under the porthole with something narrower would help balance the look in my opinion.
                  DGS (aka salguod)
                  1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
                  www.salguod.net

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎