Detent plate replacement

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KULTULZ

Bushing(s)- 351341-S Spring Washer

Check pin wear on 7302 and pin hole on 7354. Check anything that moves (have someone jiggle shift lever).

There is a BIRD dedicated bell crank asm (7326 goes to) but it is not shown on ILL. It may be shown in the Shop Manual.

Basically, all linkage(s) must be correct (not worn) and adjusted correctly. Adjusting the neutral safety switch would follow this.

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
      Experienced
      • Jun 20 2012

Originally posted by KULTULZ
      There is a BIRD dedicated bell crank asm (7326 goes to) but it is not shown on ILL.
      Thank you. Not sure that I understood this part. Can you explain?

Comment

• KULTULZ

There should be a bracket (similar to the fuel bell crank) that transfers movement from the 7326 to the actual shift lever on the side of the trans case.

You need to check for wear here also.

ADDITIONS-

The 7A256 is a lever actually attached at the main case to give shift range selection(s) - (1960-64 FORD MPC ILL A70.3 Page 241) There is a bushing within where the 7326 rod attaches.

Again, a Shop Manual photo may show more assembly detail than a parts blowup.
        Last edited by Guest; May 23, 2013, 11:55 AM.

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Detent plate replacement

First of all let me address the detent plate question. The ones available through Squarebirds.org on our Home page are the ones that Alexander had made and are still available. With his passing, his sister, Marianne stepped in and took over the Detent Plate program for us and has been doing an excellent job ever since. I assume that the detent plates being offered by various Tbird parts houses are obtained from Marianne, but I do not know that for sure. If you want the original one as designed by Alexander, order from our Home page, through PayPal and Marianne will process your order.

Now the rubber bushing(s) that I was speaking of regarding the tranny is/are that/those that are down at the tranny drivers side, where the rod from the Shift Tube Selector Arm attaches to the tranny. In my case, one of them was worn, dried out, and falling apart and had to be replaced. Looking at the parts breakout, there seems to be more than one rubber bushing involved there. Check any you find to see if they are missing, worn, crumbling, rotted, etc, and replace them. I think part # 77265, 7B49B (hard to read that first letter), 7A256 (looks like a rubber bushing on the end of it) are rubber bushings. In my case, I think it was that 7B49B that part #7A256 goes into was worn and had to be replaced. But I was not there when that work was done. As for replacements, check with the Bird House, the Bird Nest and other Tbird parts houses to see if they have them. Here is a parts break out of the '60 tranny area. Gary sent it to me, as I recall, for posting for a '64 Tbird problem but it is a breakout of the '60 FM, FX, MX tranny.
          Attached Files

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
          Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by YellowRose

Now the rubber bushing(s) that I was speaking of regarding the tranny is/are that/those that are down at the tranny drivers side, where the rod from the Shift Tube Selector Arm attaches to the tranny. In my case, one of them was worn, dried out, and falling apart and had to be replaced. Looking at the parts breakout, there seems to be more than one rubber bushing involved there. Check any you find to see if they are missing, worn, crumbling, rotted, etc, and replace them. I think part # 77265, 7B49B (hard to read that first letter), 7A256 (looks like a rubber bushing on the end of it) are rubber bushings. In my case, I think it was that 7B49B that part #7A256 goes into was worn and had to be replaced. But I was not there when that work was done. As for replacements, check with the Bird House, the Bird Nest and other Tbird parts houses to see if they have them. Here is a parts break out of the '60 tranny area. Gary sent it to me, as I recall, for posting for a '64 Tbird problem but it is a breakout of the '60 FM, FX, MX tranny.
            Ray,

The parts shown in the ILL are actually selector shaft seals. If they are bad, there will be fluid leakage around the shaft(s).

I am sending you four ILL showing all of the shift linkage(s). Hopefully they will show more detail.

Here are the Illustrations that Gary sent me. Click on each link to bring them up.

As usual, if you want to zoom in or out, use Ctrl + to zoom in or Ctrl - to zoom out.

************************************************************ **********

ADDITION-

The second ILL, while actually a 61/63 BIRD, is similar and shows how all of the components fit/work together.

Also, 351341-S is actually a spring washer (to hold tension on pin and hole) and not an actual bushing.
            Last edited by Guest; May 24, 2013, 01:44 PM. Reason: Add Pix by Ray / Give Detail On Ill

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
              Experienced
              • Jun 20 2012

Here is a video I took today that shows the looseness of my shifting gear . The positions from-to are showing the looseness on one gear.

And another video showing the looseness of the shift tube selector arm.

If anyone sees similarity to the problem you've been dealing with, please comment.

Two more questions on this:
              a) besides other possible parts I'm ordering for this, I am not ordering only the collar. Does the collar exchange have a big impact on the repair? Tought I will exchange everything else and order the collar afterwards if needed.

b) what is the better solution for the shift lever - a new one or a repaired one (soldered and sharpened)?
              Last edited by Rock&Roll Firebird; May 24, 2013, 07:36 PM.

Comment

• scumdog
                Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by Rock&Roll Firebird

b) what is the better solution for the shift lever - a new one or a repaired one (soldered and sharpened)?
                Soldered??? sheee -itt no, wouldn't last 2 minutes..

Get somebody in the know to build up the worn area with a hard-face weld.

Then grind it back down to the original profile - which of course you took note of before welding commenced!

It will last forever.
                A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
                  Experienced
                  • Jun 20 2012

Originally posted by scumdog
                  Soldered??? sheee -itt no, wouldn't last 2 minutes..

Get somebody in the know to build up the worn area with a hard-face weld.

Then grind it back down to the original profile - which of course you took note of before welding commenced!

It will last forever.
                  My English was not precise - of course I meant welding and grinding. Someone here recommended that as a solution.

Comment

• YellowRose
                    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Detent plate replacement

IMO... Since you are working in that area already, I would go for a new collar and shift lever and be done with it, if they need replaced... Saves you having to do any welding and filing...

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• scumdog
                      Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by Rock&Roll Firebird
                      My English was not precise - of course I meant welding and grinding. Someone here recommended that as a solution.
                      Yep, worked for me 100%!
                      A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• lexdownunder
                        Apprentice
                        • Sep 7 2010

I have some movement with my gear selection but have not as yet checked where the movement is coming from. I will check the collar & shift lever etc. & have a new detent plate which is not yet fitted.
                        I will also check the movement in the shift tube selector ring/arm.
                        My question is, if I require a new shift tube selector ring/arm at the bottom of the steering column, what is the part number & supplier please???
                        I have checked a couple of suppliers catalogues but can't find it listed.

Cheers
                        Lex

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
                          Experienced
                          • Jun 20 2012

Originally posted by lexdownunder
                          I have some movement with my gear selection but have not as yet checked where the movement is coming from. I will check the collar & shift lever etc. & have a new detent plate which is not yet fitted.
                          I will also check the movement in the shift tube selector ring/arm.
                          My question is, if I require a new shift tube selector ring/arm at the bottom of the steering column, what is the part number & supplier please???
                          I have checked a couple of suppliers catalogues but can't find it listed.

Cheers
                          Lex
                          If you go through this thread Lex you will find that replacing the shift tube selector arm will do most of the work on precise shifting. You can get one here. The price is around $30 mostly everywhere.

Jiri

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
                            Experienced
                            • Jun 20 2012

Originally posted by YellowRose
                            IMO... Since you are working in that area already, I would go for a new collar and shift lever and be done with it, if they need replaced... Saves you having to do any welding and filing...
                            I'd order the collar with my other parts now, the thing is I don't want to spend extra $100 for something that might not need to exchange...

What is your experience guys on the collar (need of exchange)?
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Rock&Roll Firebird; May 25, 2013, 09:02 AM.

Comment

• YellowRose
                              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Detent plate replacement

The Shift Tube Selector Arm is also available from the Bird Nest, Part # 7302A, Page 19 in their catalog for $29.95, a bit cheaper than MACs. I swapped mine out because after 50 years it was worn inside, along with the gear shift lever, and the detent plate.

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
                                Experienced
                                • Jun 20 2012

Originally posted by KULTULZ
                                Ray,

The parts shown in the ILL are actually selector shaft seals. If they are bad, there will be fluid leakage around the shaft(s).

I was able to find only this one seal. Wasn't able to find the other one though .

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎