X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rrrrrmatey
    • Mar 17 2013

Manual Trans Swap

Hi Everyone,
    So, I'm (very foolishly) getting ready to take the plunge in swapping out Katie's ol' cruise-o-matic for a manual. I know this has been done once or twice, but I'd love to hear if anyone has any advice on trans type or fitment issues. It'll be a lot of work, but I can't wait to row the bird around

I'm looking at a 5 speed. Currently eyeballing the Tremec TKO 500 or the keisler rs400. Bellhousings are available, they're small-ish, you can move the shifter around a bit so it fits far enough back... And you can get a hydraulic linkage...

Anyone have any experience with either of these? or swapping in a manual at all?

The 390 isn't huge (about 400hp/350ft/lbs), but, I want to make sure that I don't tear something up. I want to do this once, correctly.

Hopefully wife doesn't kill me...

Thanks in advance,
    Benjamin
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Ben, we have another member who is swapping his Squarebird over to an automatic. His name is cbnsingram (Mike). I know you have a '63. I haven't looked at any part numbers so I don't know if any of the parts swap over.

You will need a brake pedal support bracket, Z-bar, etc.
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• rrrrrmatey
      • Mar 17 2013

Ya know, I didn't even think of that. I believe it was the T85/R11 that came in the Squarebirds (but not sure).

Even if it took some work, it'd be awesome. 63 with a 3 on the tree.

Somewhere, a purist just died.

BUT, I wouldn't have to cut the center console, I'd get overdrive. I'd also probably lose the swing away steering column, which sucks...

Nah, worth it I reckon...

So, I guess my next question is: Does anyone know how difficult this might be, getting the linkage right, column swap, etc? I can't imagine this is a common swap...

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by rrrrrmatey

BUT, I wouldn't have to cut the center console, I'd get overdrive.

I'd also probably lose the swing away steering column, which sucks...
        Whatever you decide, please consider removing the steering column asm and boxing it up...

Comment

• rrrrrmatey
          • Mar 17 2013

Don't worry. I wouldn't chop it up. I'd just pull the old one out and put the new one in. Just in case I (or someone in the future) decided to swap back.

On the other hand, you wouldn't have any experience swapping in a manual trans, would you? What worked, what didn't, etc...

I'm very open to suggestions, thoughts, or ideas...

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎