No announcement yet.

Leaking Radiator

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaking Radiator

Im not looking to fix it.........Im looking to replace it. Most of the T-bird vendors dont carry them.....If they do they dont list them. Does anybody have a good source??? Maybe I need to look again. This is one part I know from experience is better to replace than to take off time and time again to "re-fix". If there is a "swap" that works.........Im open to that too.
  • KULTULZ

RE: Leaking Radiator

IMO

If the tanks are good, I would talk to a cooling shop about recoring. Make sure they quote a quality core (MODINE) as you don't want to go the off-shore route. You may also be able to go to a thicker core at this time to help cooling.

If you desire the origional core thickness, make sure the guy checks availabilty before ordering the core.

Comment

• byersmtrco
      Super-Experienced
      • Sep 28 2004

My buddy at a local shop here in San Jose charged me $250.00 for a (NEW) 4-row core. Thats parts and labor. My side tanks were fine.
      And the core was made here in the U S of A. None of this tiawanese crapola.

John

Comment

Among the countless items that i have replaced while my restoration is being done to my 1960 was to replace the radiator that I obtained from "Larrys T-bird parts" in Corona , Calif. I was told that a local firm made them. Good Hunting

Comment

THANKS !!!!

Comment

• byersmtrco
            Super-Experienced
            • Sep 28 2004

I tried to buy the one from Larry's. The four-row. They burned me. I ordered it, gave em my C/C #. I was told they had it in stock. A few weeks go by, no radiator. After several non- returned calls, I'm finally told that mine got sold to a "walk in" customer that same day. That's bad enough, but it happens in the parts biz. The really bad part is they never called to tell me. It only took a month to get the charges on my card reversed. I told them to call me when they get another radiator in, I still want it. That was over a year ago. I've never heard back from them. Nice way to run a business. It frosts me because I'm in the parts business. Like any thing else, communication is the most important thing. Thats not the only bad deal I've had with Larry's. At this point, the one SJ Radiator did for me is probably better.

John Byers

Comment

I had a small problem too with Larrys.......it involved new windows. One is just too big for my passenger side.......and I will have to have it ground or cut if possible. At 120$ a pop I wasnt thrilled since I ordered it.....and put them aside for several months until I could get to fixing my cracked ones. I realize now after talking to other old car enthusiast that this sort of thing is common with the "aftermarket" industry............especially repo parts. I may just get a decent used one and have it recored..........then save the one in the car now.........to be recored also for a spare.

Comment

• tbirdave
                Apprentice
                • Jun 12 2006

I can sypathize with ya buddy. First my surge tank leaked, then after several repairs I bit the bullet and bought a new one only to have it leak after the first week, along with my radiator. I am waiting for an aluminum radiator I ordered from Superior Radiator in Michigan (I'm in CA.) I ordered the surge tank that goes on the 61-64 and it is much stronger and seems beter made. I'm told that it will fit my '58. I'll let you know how it all turns out. _tbirdave

Comment

What is Superiors number???..Price ??? ect. Im open to any option that WORKS. Ive had old Fords and Mercurys before.....but my 61 Falcon gave me a "radiator headache". Being young and broke...... I removed it and fixed it about 4 times. I finally saved enough money for a new one......lesson learned. I never take my T-bird on long trips or anything........so Im not desperate.

Comment

• tbirdave
                    Apprentice
                    • Jun 12 2006

Superior Radiator 1-586-463-8722. $450.00, talk to Charlie. Mine was shipped Fri. and should arrive today or tomorrow. He guarantees that it will be an exact fit. Good luck Bro. tbirdave

Comment

• byersmtrco
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Sep 28 2004

That sounds good. I don't fore see having a problem in the near future, but if i did, I'd look into that. I have the newer style surge tank also. More better.

John

Comment

• BlackBird58
                        Experienced
                        • Mar 9 2005

Hey TBird Dave,

Did you ever install that aluminum radiator from Superior? How does it work?

I'm on the market for a new/recore radiator myself...

Thanks
                        Mel

Comment

I just ordered a radiator from "Superior".........and was told it is aluminum which thrills me to death.....Im just worried about it fitting. They actually make it themselves..........got my fingers crossed. T-bird dave??? did yours work out alright???

Comment

• tbirdave
                            Apprentice
                            • Jun 12 2006

Mine worked out great. Some new holes had to be drilled to install. I also put in the 61 - 63 surge tank. I runs much cooler and has a bit more power. I drove it from the central valley in CA to the Bay Area last week with no problems in the CA heat and start and stop traffic. Good Lluck!! tbirdave

Comment

GREAT !!! I think I can manage a few new holes...........I told Charlie that I called every major T-bird vendor with no luck........and that his new market would be wide open. Now I cant wait for it to get here so I can be back on the road. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎